Started by Rudi, September 21, 2022, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: toby47 on September 21, 2022, 04:53:37 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 21, 2022, 04:18:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2022, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 21, 2022, 02:09:23 PM
https://gript.ie/slashed-woman-is-latest-victim-of-our-lawless-republic/

And people stand by and film the incident before doing anything about it.. Lovely

Genuine question if you found yourself as a bystander there what would you do?

Take hear head clean off her shoulders? Why wouldn't you?

Because I don't like prison food or knives in me

Milltown Row2

And people stand by and film the incident before doing anything about it.. Lovely

The first thing you do is not film the thing ffs! Next thing is phone the fire service at least you'll have lads arriving with protective gear and hatchets  ;) as they will be out a lot quicker than the police it seems. Thirdly assess what you can do to prevent injury to all parties.. A knife can cause serious damage, regardless who's using it.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Not film the f**king thing and laugh for starters. Beyond that who knows until you're in the situation but I'd like to think I'd have done something. Her arm should have been snapped to get the blade off her

Ash Smoker

No fear of the Guards is the biggest problem.
The weak justice system and the guards not being arsed feeds that.
The arrests in Ballyfermot shows the Gardai could tackle this head on if they were motivated to do so.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ash Smoker on September 23, 2022, 09:53:59 AM
The arrests in Ballyfermot shows the Gardai could tackle this head on if they were motivated to do so.

The problem is not whether the guards are arsed or not, or whether the justice system is strong enough or not, as that is a top down solution as opposed to a bottom up. Where there is deprivation and poverty you will always have more crime. Places like Ballyfermot are no different than areas of east or west Belfast, Moss Side in Manchester, or any deprived areas in major cities across the world. These types of crimes have been happening for generations, but populations have exploded in the last 2 decades, along with the advent of camera phones and social media, there is a perception that it is now worse than it was. It isn't.

This crime does not start when these kids, generally boys, reach 12-13. They come from homes that are broken beyond repair from a very young age,  they generally have no father in their lives, if they do he is generally involved in crime/physically abusive/alcohol or drug addict or all of the above. They fall into gang life as that's the only way to survive. There's insufficient funds being pumped into the cause of this happening at an early age and too much pumped into law enforcement. Break the cycle before it happens. This will take generations but is the only way. Criminal justice is purely a sticking plaster

Turf

trailer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2022, 10:04:31 AM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on September 23, 2022, 09:53:59 AM

The problem is not whether the guards are arsed or not, or whether the justice system is strong enough or not, as that is a top down solution as opposed to a bottom up. Where there is deprivation and poverty you will always have more crime. Places like Ballyfermot are no different than areas of east or west Belfast, Moss Side in Manchester, or any deprived areas in major cities across the world. These types of crimes have been happening for generations, but populations have exploded in the last 2 decades, along with the advent of camera phones and social media, there is a perception that it is now worse than it was. It isn't.

This crime does not start when these kids, generally boys, reach 12-13. They come from homes that are broken beyond repair from a very young age,  they generally have no father in their lives, if they do he is generally involved in crime/physically abusive/alcohol or drug addict or all of the above. They fall into gang life as that's the only way to survive. There's insufficient funds being pumped into the cause of this happening at an early age and too much pumped into law enforcement. Break the cycle before it happens. This will take generations but is the only way. Criminal justice is purely a sticking plaster

I genuinely used to think this. Honestly. But I have seen communities get huge funding, the best of the best and they just wreck it. In West Belfast my mate was working on the new play park. He told me the cost of the walking track, some special stuff. Eyewatering money. They broke in and lit a fire on it before it was even opened. They torched the crane and the forklift a different night. Just thuggery.
Where I live in a fairly middle class town, we have no leisure facilities. No community pitches. No community hall, not even as much as a play park, yet our kids aren't out terrorising the community. So this bullshit line about them having nothing and no investment doesn't stack up in the real world.
These lot are in bred scum. Their Ma was scum who opened her legs to every man who offered he a cigarette and popped them out one after another with no thought of rearing them or looking after them. Their Da did a runner when he heard that he might have to take on some responsibility. And the cycle continues.

They deserve nothing. They offer nothing to their communities. Time everyone got real. Throwing money at these communities is pointless. Throw them in jail and f**k the key away.

brokencrossbar1

And that's the problem in a single post Trailer. I understand your mindset and I also think that at times but locking up and throwing away the key is not the answer either as that creates inter generational crime and poverty, which there has been for many generations across all societies. What happened at Ballyfermot is no different than what was happening with joyriding on the Falls in the late 80's early 90's. That is no where near as bad as it was. There has been a lot of work on the ground in respect of community policing and the communities themselves taking more control. That is not through play parks and leisure centres but through active participation. That's what needs to happen but it is a very slow process.

general_lee

Spoken like a true tory! Managed decline, isn't that what Thatcher called it?

Rudi

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2022, 10:48:50 AM
And that's the problem in a single post Trailer. I understand your mindset and I also think that at times but locking up and throwing away the key is not the answer either as that creates inter generational crime and poverty, which there has been for many generations across all societies. What happened at Ballyfermot is no different than what was happening with joyriding on the Falls in the late 80's early 90's. That is no where near as bad as it was. There has been a lot of work on the ground in respect of community policing and the communities themselves taking more control. That is not through play parks and leisure centres but through active participation. That's what needs to happen but it is a very slow process.

Two processes have to work in tandem, crime has to be punished,  end of. Society would break down completely if it was not. I agree that some form of group with social workers etc have to work with poorer communities & create mentors/ community leaders to improve anti social behaviour & make people feel positive about their community.
But to be clear, what happened in the video needs to be punished.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rudi on September 23, 2022, 11:21:07 AM

Two processes have to work in tandem, crime has to be punished,  end of. Society would break down completely if it was not. I agree that some form of group with social workers etc have to work with poorer communities & create mentors/ community leaders to improve anti social behaviour & make people feel positive about their community.

Agree 100%. I am not a tree hugging liberal who let's all go and blames society for others bad behaviour. I have been in prison cells with bad wee bastards and I know that some are beyond redemption and there has to be punishment. The key is prevention through better structures and a greater focus on restorative work to try to prevent reoffending and breaking cycles. Prison creates more dangerous criminals, not the other way around.

Armagh18

They have no fear for anyone or respect for anyone. The likes of the little scumbags you'll find in the rough parts of any big city. I think there needs to be a carrot and stick approach- give them the funding, the things to do etc but they still need to know that if they're acting the w**ker like that there will be consequence. Whether that be through police and properly tough prison sentences or probably more effectively some big scary f**ker that'll slap them into next week if they misbehave.

I think the likes of the GAA and especially boxing clubs can have a big impact here.

trailer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2022, 11:26:47 AM

Agree 100%. I am not a tree hugging liberal who let's all go and blames society for others bad behaviour. I have been in prison cells with bad wee bastards and I know that some are beyond redemption and there has to be punishment. The key is prevention through better structures and a greater focus on restorative work to try to prevent reoffending and breaking cycles. Prison creates more dangerous criminals, not the other way around.

You're wasting your time. They are beyond help.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on September 23, 2022, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2022, 11:26:47 AM

You're wasting your time. They are beyond help.
The cycle needs to be broken. I'd say like everything you'll have a few ring leaders and then everyone else tries to out do each other and look like the hard man- and before you know it the whole thing spirals out of control.

I refuse to believe they are all beyond help but I'd agree probably a lot of them are