Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 17, 2022, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Don't think they did, Murphy was the best player of his generation.

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.
Obviously best player of his generation is subjective but he's up there without a doubt. Walks in to any team ever.

A point lost on some in here.

Just happen to rate him higher then the likes of Brogan, Cluxton, Connolly & McCarthy.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 01:27:00 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.
Obviously best player of his generation is subjective but he's up there without a doubt. Walks in to any team ever.

Just happen to rate him higher then the likes of Brogan, Cluxton, Connolly & McCarthy.
Fair enough, he was immense.  Impossible to compare him to any of those imo especially a goalkeeper ffs. He was as someone else said able to play anywhere from 3-14 and be superb, best position for me was inside, that goal against Mayo in 2012 was unbelievable.

trailer

People who know say differently.

tbrick18

Undoubtedly was a top class footballer at his peak.
He was a master of all the skills and the power he had was unreal.

He was a bit too fond of the dark arts for me though, and I dont just mean that penalty he undeservedly won against Derry in the ulster final in 2011. (I'm not bitter at all)

You could find Donegal develop more as a team now without him as more players will be expected to stand up whereas before they always had him to fall back on.

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 17, 2022, 02:56:52 PM

He was a bit too fond of the dark arts for me though, and I dont just mean that penalty he undeservedly won against Derry in the ulster final in 2011. (I'm not bitter at all)

You could find Donegal develop more as a team now without him as more players will be expected to stand up whereas before they always had him to fall back on.
Nothing wrong with the dark arts. Agree with your last paragraph, suppose it could go one of two ways, either the other will step up or they won't and Donegal will fall further behind the big teams.

Sportacus

Loved watching him. The high catch, turn and bullet to the net is what I'll remember. Hope he enjoys his retirement. And he's away with his All Ireland medal and a fist full of Ulsters which is just reward.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 17, 2022, 03:02:02 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 17, 2022, 02:56:52 PM

Nothing wrong with the dark arts. Agree with your last paragraph, suppose it could go one of two ways, either the other will step up or they won't and Donegal will fall further behind the big teams.

I think we'll be fairly average for the foreseeable future.

McGuinness may have worked wonders, but he was also working with some really top class players. Murphy, Lacey (another generational player), Neil McGee and Kevin Cassidy would have walked onto any team in the country. A few others would have been close.

We don't have too many at that level any more. Plenty who can turn it on on a given day, but can also go missing when the chips are down.

But, Carr's mission should be first and foremost to improve the style of play and get a bit of guts and adventure back into the team.

blanketattack

In fairness, I thought he was very good in Dawn Of the Planet Of The Apes.

tbrick18

Quote from: blanketattack on November 17, 2022, 04:18:42 PM
In fairness, I thought he was very good in Dawn Of the Planet Of The Apes.

Brilliant!

J70

Definite resemblance!

Is that the actor who played Jerry West in that Winning Time show on the Lakers?

screenexile

I think Murphy is one of the best players of his time absolutely 100% he was a joy to watch at times and by all accounts a great team mate.

Had played in the 90s I think we'd be talking about the best Full Forward of all time he was that good. The blanket defence robbed us of his greatness I feel but such is life.

He owes the County nothing even though I'm sure he'll take the reins at some stage I'd say. Hope he gets to enjoy the time off I'd imagine he's been on the go for the best part of 17-18 years with very few breaks!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: johnnycool on November 17, 2022, 09:17:00 AM

Nah, he was a great player indeed, not sure why Donegal played him so far from goal the last few years all the same, but he took some looking after on the field.

Michael himself as much as anything did that I'd say. Team player and leader and always wanted to be in the heart of action.

J70

Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 02:13:09 PM

People who know say differently.

What does that mean?

People who know what, exactly?

Rating players is not a scientific experiment.

Wildweasel74

Murphy better than the 3 players mentioned, I actually have Murphy in my best ever team at wing forward, (knocking out Spillane) Wouldn't get full forward with Matt Connor there. As for Fenton he's very good on a team of great players, now that they falling bck he doesn't look as great, Tohill and J O'Shea are better players than him. J Mccarthy be in my best ever team Along with Cluxton

themac_23

Watching some of his goals back, likes of the mayo one etc, shows you how much the advanced mark ruins forward play. That mayo goal, early in an AI final now player would win that ball and fire the hand up, if the GAA do one thing surely it'll be get rid of that rule