Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2022, 03:54:11 PM

Who is pulling the strings of the DUP ?
Take yer pick.. .
Orange Order, UDA, UVF, ERG, International neo Nazism, American fundamentalist Bible thumpers......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2022, 04:01:51 PM

Take yer pick.. .
Orange Order, UDA, UVF, ERG, International neo Nazism, American fundamentalist Bible thumpers......
Nah, it's much more likely to be  Mr.Magoo.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2022, 04:01:51 PM

Take yer pick.. .
I don't think any of those have access to serious money. It's inthermeejit level
The DUP are playing senior hurling with links to the plutocracy i mo thuairim. Brexit does nothing for Sandy Row. So why are the DUP up to their neck in it ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

When have the DUP ever done anything for Sandy Rowe? You're mistaken here in thinking that it is different for them not to look after their own communities. It is not. They are basically tories. Sandy Rowe residents voting for the DUP is akin to people in poor areas in the north of england voting for tories. (same applies to brexit)

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2022, 07:36:33 PM
When have the DUP ever done anything for Sandy Rowe? You're mistaken here in thinking that it is different for them not to look after their own communities. It is not. They are basically tories. Sandy Rowe residents voting for the DUP is akin to people in poor areas in the north of england voting for tories. (same applies to brexit)
They don't do anything  for anybody in the Unionist community . They are working for someone else
Brexit changed the -tories and made them more extremist. Something similar happened to the DUP.

imtommygunn

They aren't more extreme though as they've always been pretty extreme- they aren't much different. There is a school of thought that brexit will make drugs harder to get in and that does not please the loyalist paramilitaries who would definitely be in the running to be the ones pulling their strings.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2022, 10:11:06 PM
They aren't more extreme though as they've always been pretty extreme- they aren't much different. There is a school of thought that brexit will make drugs harder to get in and that does not please the loyalist paramilitaries who would definitely be in the running to be the ones pulling their strings.
That's business as usual when things are ticking over. But anti Protocol when Brexit reduces the economy by more than 5% is a different kettle of fish imo.

imtommygunn

I don't think it is. Also don't forget they were pro protocol not very long ago. Someone had words - so it's either like you say someone with financial clout or it's loyalist paramilitaries.

Personally I think there's been a realisation somewhere that the border expedites a united ireland significantly - or in their eyes makes it a real possibility - and it's that more than the economic stuff going on here.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 09, 2022, 09:18:20 AM
I don't think it is. Also don't forget they were pro protocol not very long ago. Someone had words - so it's either like you say someone with financial clout or it's loyalist paramilitaries.

Personally I think there's been a realisation somewhere that the border expedites a united ireland significantly - or in their eyes makes it a real possibility - and it's that more than the economic stuff going on here.

Economics has absolutely nothing to do the DUP's current stance as is rightly being pointed out that initially both Arlene and Jeffrey are on record stating that the NIP had given NI great opportunities economics wise.

As for that change in stance, was it the ERG or the loyalist drug smugglers/community stake holders who got them to about turn on it or a mixture of both.

Ironically the DUP struggle to see that an economically successful NI would be inclined to ensure the middle ground vote for the status quo if it came to a border poll, no doubt the Shinners do as well.

imtommygunn

I know - I don't get that irony either. It's about as ironic as having the word democratic in their name  >:(

It's just bigotry and they fail to mention brexit when saying how bad the NIP is so then people who would be of the persuasion to listen to them do.

keep her low this half

Quote from: johnnycool on August 09, 2022, 09:48:42 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 09, 2022, 09:18:20 AM

Economics has absolutely nothing to do the DUP's current stance as is rightly being pointed out that initially both Arlene and Jeffrey are on record stating that the NIP had given NI great opportunities economics wise.

As for that change in stance, was it the ERG or the loyalist drug smugglers/community stake holders who got them to about turn on it or a mixture of both.

Ironically the DUP struggle to see that an economically successful NI would be inclined to ensure the middle ground vote for the status quo if it came to a border poll, no doubt the Shinners do as well.

Wee Jeffrey is on record as saying he doesn't care if Brexit costs 40,000 job losses in Northern Ireland. Wee Jeff will be OK with his MP salary, Trade missions and future house of lords position. No-one in Northern Ireland ever lost out from being a bigot, very financially rewarding if you play it right.

RadioGAAGAA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62664462

Ye'd wonder how the anti-protocol mob will spin this.
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 24, 2022, 07:08:55 PM

Easy enough to spin this, the high volumes partly reflect the fact that the British are not fully applying the rules so that it is easier to travel through Belfast/Larne than Dublin/Rosslare.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

They're already firing out the 25% tariff on steel imported to NI from UK!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2022, 09:06:48 PM

Easy enough to spin this, the high volumes partly reflect the fact that the British are not fully applying the rules so that it is easier to travel through Belfast/Larne than Dublin/Rosslare.

Yet UK ports are significantly down on trade.

Which means either:

(i) the UK are exporting more to the EU through NI
(ii) The EU are exporting more to the UK through NI
(iii) NI has increased consumption of goods

Given where things stood in 2021, I would very much doubt (iii). Which leaves (i) & (ii). Both of which are dependent on the bridge between the UK and EU via NI being easier than directly going from UK to EU (and visa-versa) - which is exactly where the protocol sits.
i usse an speelchekor