NI's future in the United Kingdom could depend on Catholics - Robinson

Started by SuperMac, November 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Trout

"No Irish nationalist could support any treaty which institutionalizes British government claims to a part of Irish national territory.  Indeed, the term - 'constitutional nationalism'- used by Mr.Mallon (SDLP) and his colleagues to describe their political philosophy is a contradiction in terms. The only constitutional nationalist in  Ireland today is Sean McBride. He puts his nationalism within a  framework of Irish constitutionality. Mr. Mallon, however, puts his within the framework of British constitutionality. Irish nationalism  within British constitutionality is a contradiction in terms." 

- Gerry Adams, 1986
("The Politics of Irish Freedom", Gerry Adams, Brandon Book Publishers, Ltd., Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland 1986, page 112, lines 26-35. NOTE:  REMOVED FROM 1995 and1996 EDITIONS). 

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

mylestheslasher

I know Gerry let you down but don't worry it'll all come good in the end and you can be part of a unified 32 counties.

Trout

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2011, 11:17:48 PM
I know Gerry let you down but don't worry it'll all come good in the end and you can be part of a unified 32 counties.

No interest in free state vermin.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Tony Baloney

Trout

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Trout on November 19, 2011, 11:26:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2011, 11:17:48 PM

No interest in free state vermin.

That's Nazi talk, I think I'm getting a clearer picture of this particular fish. Still, we would welcome you and yours into the republic. Being a republic we would cherish all our children, even you trout with all your bitterness. I look forward to the day.

year til sunday

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 19, 2011, 08:13:31 PM
QuoteI'd also argue that if another life is lost over division/unification, then it's one too many.

I agree that far too many lives have been lost because this island is divided. Not one more life should be lost to keep it divided.

how would a referendum on Irish unity result in a loss of life?

Trout

Quote from: year til sunday on November 20, 2011, 12:07:55 AM
QuoteI'd also argue that if another life is lost over division/unification, then it's one too many.

I agree that far too many lives have been lost because this island is divided. Not one more life should be lost to keep it divided.

Are you brain dead? Do you not think Martin McGuinesses best mates in the DUP would mobilise the UDA/UVF?
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Orangemac

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 19, 2011, 02:11:20 PM
Not necessarily, at least in the short to medium term. SF and the SDLP could get 60% of the vote, but it's only the vote on a referendum that matters. I don't think it would make any sense to push for a referendum until the nationalist vote is at least 55%.

As for the DUP attracting Catholics... I can't see it happening in any significant numbers. Robinson's reaction to the Prison Service emblems issue is a reminder of just how moderate the DUP is. Not very.
Even if the nationalist vote hit 55%, it is the increasing number of people not voting (mainly young people) who would be the determining factor. The type of people who voted on the GFA but might not have voted since.

Hardy

Spot on, Deiseach.

Quote from: muppet on November 19, 2011, 09:43:59 PM
Surely there is a better argument than listening to dead men?

That should be framed and hung on every Irish livingroom wall where Devalera and the pope used to be.

All this mediaeval talk of Protestant and Catholic in a political debate is depressing. Should it be Nationalist and Unionist or is Northern Ireland really the last society in the post-Christian world (for want of a better term) that votes on sectarian lines?

year til sunday

Quote from: Trout on November 20, 2011, 12:13:22 AM
Quote from: year til sunday on November 20, 2011, 12:07:55 AM

Are you brain dead? Do you not think Martin McGuinesses best mates in the DUP would mobilise the UDA/UVF?

i don't know, would they, and under what circumstances and for what end?