New Kerry Crest

Started by AZOffaly, November 16, 2011, 01:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Coilin has this on his facebook page as the new Kerry GAA crest.  Looks ugly to me. Did the Kerry Co. Board not have the rights to the old crest? I thought the Kerry County Crest was a different crest anyway

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2011, 01:12:27 PM
Coilin has this on his facebook page as the new Kerry GAA crest.  Looks ugly to me. Did the Kerry Co. Board not have the rights to the old crest? I thought the Kerry County Crest was a different crest anyway

I was expecting to see a Tyrone midget rampant somewhere

heffo

Did the Kerry Co. Board not have the rights to the old crest?

No, they'd been trying unsuccessfully to get copyright for a few years on it.

AZOffaly

I thought the old Kerry Crest was specifically for the County Board. Kerry's 'County' Crest is different again. In fact I thought I read that the old crest was commissioned by the GAA. Maybe they just forgot to copyright it :)

AZOffaly

Read this on their website. It looks very much like the County Board got the old crest designed for them, but never copyrighted it properly.

Kerry GAA Crest

The Kerry County Board Crest was designed by Mary Johnston, Graphic Designer, based in Tralee, Co. Kerry, at the request of Anthony O'Keeffe, Secretary of the Kerry County Board for the Centenary Celebration of the founding of the GAA in Kerry in 1988.

The aim of the crest is to portray all of the sports played under the umbrella of the GAA, combined with images of Kerry in a unique setting.

The final submission was accepted by the Kerry County Board and comprised of:

A twisted circular band, broken at the four points
    Top: Three gold crowns of Kerry the Kingdom
    Left: Footballer, in honour of Kerry's football All-Ireland titles
    Right: Hurler, in honour of Kerry's one hurling All-Ireland title
    Bottom: Handballer, in honour of Kerry's handball All-Ireland titles.
    All in gold silhouette on a green background.

The dominant and central part of the crest comprises of The Wolfhound, The Harp and Round Tower; these stand for:

The Round Tower - our heritage, the Tower of Rattoo.
    The Harp - our traditional music, with nine strings for the nine baronies of Kerry.
    The Wolfhound - the pride and heart of the people of Kerry since the time Cuchulainn travelled "The Kerry Way" to Tír na nÓg.

The background consists of the Oakwoods of Killarney, the outline of Carrantouhill and an outline of Kerry's coastline with the word "Ciarraí" superimposed on the map, and last but not least four shamrock leaves at the bottom of the centre, which are also part of the Kerry Senior Championship medals. The shamrocks are to be found on the main gates to the Austin Stack Park, these gates were made in 1944 and hung on the main archway into the Austin Stack Park. The archway was demolished in the 1970's.

screenexile

Oh shit! There's a bit of blue in that Crest did they run it past the cheeky Dubs first?!!

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Why are they so enamoured with the Munster Rugby Team and the New Zealand Rugby Team ?

Hardy

I don't get it. A big lump of something too big to go down the S-bend, a headstone being taken away on a boat and a goat eating marijuana?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2011, 02:35:51 PM
I don't get it. A big lump of something too big to go down the S-bend, a headstone being taken away on a boat and a goat eating marijuana?

Is that Skellig Rock as the big lump of something?  looks like that's a Celtic Cross from a few of the spare All-Ireland medals that St. Brendan took on his travels when he found America or whatever it was called back in the day. 

King Puck must be the goat (or maybe a reference to Paidi singing An Poc ar Buile...whether that's Paidi or the Poc is another question).

You got me on the marijuana though.  Maybe that's what them boys be chewing on - and me thinking it was only rushes from the side of the boggy mountains...

ziggysego

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2011, 01:22:25 PM

I was expecting to see a Tyrone midget rampant somewhere

Testing Accessibility

tyssam5

Well the old one didn't bring them much luck so why not!

AZOffaly

? they've had the old one since 1988 or something. I wish Offaly were as 'unlucky'

muppet

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 16, 2011, 03:03:47 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2011, 02:35:51 PM

Is that Skellig Rock as the big lump of something?  looks like that's a Celtic Cross from a few of the spare All-Ireland medals that St. Brendan took on his travels when he found America or whatever it was called back in the day. 

King Puck must be the goat (or maybe a reference to Paidi singing An Poc ar Buile...whether that's Paidi or the Poc is another question).

You got me on the marijuana though.  Maybe that's what them boys be chewing on - and me thinking it was only rushes from the side of the boggy mountains...

Mighty fine antlers on them Kerry goats.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Beats the hell out of the old one which I never liked