The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I'll give Ortega one thing, his standup is way beyond what you can normally expect from someone with as good BJJ as him. KOing Frankie was no small feat.

Maybe the drugs helped.

Syferus

Greg Hardy is quietly talking part in a UFC challenger series event in his first pro MMA fight very soon. At least one fighter on each of those challenger series cards gets a UFC contract.

I think it's disgusting he's even getting this chance let alone so soon. White is getting seriously desperate to get stars that he thinks can draw with Brock Lesnar's new WWE contract all but confirming he'll be fighting in the UFC again and now this.

gallsman

In no way surprising. CM Punk getting a second fight and widely expected to get PPV points on it as well. The UFC is a TV show - sales and ratings are king.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on April 23, 2018, 06:38:43 PM
In no way surprising. CM Punk getting a second fight and widely expected to get PPV points on it as well. The UFC is a TV show - sales and ratings are king.

At least CM Punk isn't a drugs cheat or a woman beater.

Asal Mor

I'm a week late with this but just watched nunes v Pennington, not having heard about the controversy around Pennington's corner not stopping the fight when asked by her at the end of the 4th. I see some UFC fighters have come out in defence of her corner but I can't see how. Her nose was badly busted and she was never going to turn the fight around. They sent her out for further battering and disfiguration which she duly got. I'm not usually squeamish about UFC but this was gruesome. Also thought the ref was way too slow to stop it. There was a red puddle under her by the time he called a halt.

Smokin Joe

Yoel Romero misses weight by 0.2 pounds for tomorrow's main event.
Of course, now we have the usual drama of not knowing if the main event will take place (just 24 hours before the fight), and even if it does it won't be a title fight.

Have to think that the UFC has to do something to reduce the number of times this happens, as it's got to hurt their bottom line when main events on numbered cards don't take place.
Even if they had a 3rd fighter training for the event, in the event that the 2 main guys make weight he doesn't fight but gets paid handsomely.

I know it's not that simple, but surely it's worth them trying something different?

gallsman

The only fix is more weight classes and forcing people to fight at their natural weight. Romero is 40 gears of age. Trying to cut the amount he does is crazy.

nrico2006

UFC is just like boxing, where it has turned into a slimming contest before fights with fighters having significant weight advantages over opponents come fight night. Needs to be a culture change whereby the weight classes actually mean something and contests are fair. Weigh-ins should be done on the day of tge fight as close to fight time as possible
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 09, 2018, 10:17:09 PM
UFC is just like boxing, where it has turned into a slimming contest before fights with fighters having significant weight advantages over opponents come fight night. Needs to be a culture change whereby the weight classes actually mean something and contests are fair. Weigh-ins should be done on the day of tge fight as close to fight time as possible

No, they shouldn't. Unless you actively want fighters to suffer more brain damage.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2018, 10:48:41 PM

No, they shouldn't. Unless you actively want fighters to suffer more brain damage.

By fighting someone their own weight? How do you work that out?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 09, 2018, 10:56:13 PM

Because when fighters cut weight in the final few days to weigh in, they do so by dehydrating themselves, which leaves them particularly susceptible to brain damage as the protective layer around the brain is depleted. That's how fighters like Canelo put on so much weight between weigh in and fight time - they're completely dried out and then sink gallons of water for 24 hours.

The UFC specifically moved its weigh ins to the morning to allow fighters more time to rehydrate ahead of the fight, especially after rehydration via IV was banned.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2018, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 09, 2018, 10:56:13 PM

Because when fighters cut weight in the final few days to weigh in, they do so by dehydrating themselves, which leaves them particularly susceptible to brain damage as the protective layer around the brain is depleted. That's how fighters like Canelo put on so much weight between weigh in and fight time - they're completely dried out and then sink gallons of water for 24 hours.

The UFC specifically moved its weigh ins to the morning to allow fighters more time to rehydrate ahead of the fight, especially after rehydration via IV was banned.
Thats what i meant by cultural change, where cutting and all that goes with it is no longer the norm.

Smokin Joe

Whittaker v Romero was some tear up.

The Gs Man

Great scrap, although I thought Romero should have got the decision.

Fair play to Whittaker though, fighting as he did with a broken hand.
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Whittaker is hard as nails but he didn't deserve that decision. Pretty clear he won three runs 10-9 with Romero winning the other two, at least one of which was a clear 10-8.