Naples and Napoli FC

Started by Fuzzman, March 27, 2018, 04:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Many of ye ever been to Naples?
A group of us are off on Friday week for 3 nights.
Any advice or comments would be welcome.

I hear it can be dangerous enough at night time and to watch out for pick pockets
Anyone got a yacht they're not using that weekend off the Amalfi coast?

Any AIG workers?

armaghniac

Naples is a place of real character, some people like it (me), some not.
Work on the basis that someone is going to pick your pocket and put things of value elsewhere, so you need a moneybelt or the like. I wouldn't flash the Rolex or 2018 iPhone.

Do go to a real pizza place, one where is no crap like pineapple on the pizza. One with queue is always good, I recall a place called da Michele.

One thing of possible interest is that you can go down into the underground Roman aqueducts and water tanks, read the novel Pompeii by Robert Harris about a aquaduct engineer  to get into the spirit of things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggy90

Just jump on a train and head out to Sorrento, beautiful spot.
I only saw Nalpes from the train and it looked pretty grim (tbf, most cities do), surprisingly big too.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Aughafad

I'm heading back to Naples in July for a week. I would definitely organise a day trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius, it is awesome. With only three days it's not worth heading to sorrento, it's too far.

OgraAnDun

https://wikitravel.org/en/Herculaneum

Try here for a far less crowded (and better preserved) version of Pomepii.

An Watcher

Absolutely loved Pompeii as well as a boat trip up the coast.  Sorrento is nice but not really the type of place for a boozing session.  Positano just up the coast is also worth a visit

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 27, 2018, 08:47:36 PM
https://wikitravel.org/en/Herculaneum

Try here for a far less crowded (and better preserved) version of Pomepii.

Ercolano is a good option. It is a bit different from Pompeii, but as OgraAnDun says the hordes on the buses don't necessarily go there. That said these places were towns and have a fair bit for space for people.

Fuzzman

Thanks lads.
I must look into the possibility of going on a boat trip?
Might email the Naples or Amalfi coast tourist info centre

Going to the Napoli v Chievo game on the Sunday
They have the 3rd largest stadium in Italy but its hardly ever more than half full.

armaghniac

Public ferry to Capri is an option.
I think my mate took a ferry to Capri from near Naples then one to Sorrento.

There is also an island, Ischia, at the top of the bay.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 28, 2018, 06:03:25 PM
Thanks lads.
I must look into the possibility of going on a boat trip?
Might email the Naples or Amalfi coast tourist info centre

Going to the Napoli v Chievo game on the Sunday
They have the 3rd largest stadium in Italy but its hardly ever more than half full.

A lot of Italian grounds seem half empty any serie a game you see. Have done for years.

ziggy90

What are Serie A ticket prices like? Is there a culture in Italy of supporting a team a long way from where you were born/brought up?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2018, 06:26:45 PM
Public ferry to Capri is an option.
I think my mate took a ferry to Capri from near Naples then one to Sorrento.

There is also an island, Ischia, at the top of the bay.

Capri is an over priced dunghole. Avoid. Sorrento and Positano are worth visiting. Naples is a lovely city. Just be careful like most other European cities.

Babe Ruth 47

Loved Naples. Can see why others wouldn't. Loved the food, particularly the pizza. Nice streets and architecture but by no means a polished experience.

guy crouchback

if you go down to the harbor you can get boats to carpi or ishia. i spent a few days on ishia once, it was the loveliest place i ever was. the boat trip its self was some experience packed to the gills with locals off on a day trip, all dripping in fake designer gear. it was like something out of Gomorrah.

it would be a full day though so might not be doable if you are only there a short time. if you were to give a day over to leaving the city then it would have to be Pompeii.

plus this is an ideal time of the year for pompeii, not as hot as high summer and not as many tourists.

Fuzzman

Just back from Napoli on Monday and yes it sure is an interesting city
When we got a taxi in from the hairport we thought it looked very dirty and rough. Loads of rubbish about, graffiti everywhere and of course the traffic, mopeds and even pedestrians are nuts, not good when you had planned to drive a 9 seater bus the next day to Pompeii and Sorrento.

Did a walking tour the first day which was great and got a good feel for the city and he explained how people there have this dont give a F**K attitude cos the volcano could erupt overnight and they could all be dead in the morning so everyone lives for today.

We stayed in the highest hotel there the Amabassador and it had great views of the bay and the pier etc.
Didn't feel too scary at night and whilst we were very away of not trusting anyone we had no bad experiences

Driving the wee bus sure as fun for someone like me who drives like an Italian anyway in Dublin so I just had to ramp that up a notch or 3. Need to ramp it down a few this week. haha
Pompeii was excellent as was our tour guide but it was about 25C so was glad to have a hat on.
Drove on to lovely Pompeii but found it hard to get the bus parked so ended up driving up the hills and found an amazing restaurant up there.

Were there for 3 night and I surprisingly like it and the city has a real passion and buzz
Got tickets to the match no problem and only for €20 but the 60K stadium only had about 40K in it that day.
The atmosphere was brilliant though and just shows how quiet we are at GAA matches and even in the EPL.
Passionate people and I even managed to buy a Maradona shirt for €10. Was €20
There are zero away fans so I asked the guy beside me why was that and he said they're too scared to come here.

All in all a good trip and I didn't even get to do half the things such as the huge cable car ride. We did the city under the city walk which was very interesting.

The 9 seater minibus was only €77 for the day and I managed to get cheap excess cover for only 2.99 online
carhireexcess.com