American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Stew - wtf is your issue with gender?

Let it go.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Oraisteach

Stew, I have deliberately chosen not to respond to your posts for a long time because it's like throwing a match into a powder keg. This time, I attempted to calmly explain what's offensive to me about the Chief Wahoo logo. Do you think that the logo is complimentary to Native Americans?  What about the red skin? Isn't it a little like when whites in vaudeville mocked blacks by wearing blackface? Do you think that's OK? What about the big hooked nose? And don't you agree that the leering grin makes Native Americans look clownish and imbecilic? I pointed out that the Indians organization is seeking the aid of Native American artists to design a more suitable logo. Does that bother you? I asked you to consider if Notre Dame had chosen a stereotypical image of the stock Irishman, like the ones common at the time of Irish post-famine immigration. Would that trouble you?  Instead of responding to these ideas, you launch into a litany of straw man arguments about gender, and Confederate states, and what not. I don't know when or how I teed you off to warrant such a downpour of vitriol. I remember a time when you were warm and generous, admirable in your dealings with board members. I don't know what happened to you in Milwaukee to change that, but I'm sorry that it happened.  I'll leave it on an area of common ground--let's beat Westmeath.

Asal Mor

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on January 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

Orais, remember the Washington Bullets? I know you do, now if ever a name needed to go it was that one, that said, the Washington Redskins are iconic, they pay great respect to the native people of America and in my opinion the name should stay forever, I have tremendous respect for native Americans, one of the biggest Redskin fans ever was the leader of the Navaho people who was an avid Redskins fan, there was tremendous heat for I think Dan Snyder, the owner to change the name, the leader loved the name redskins, saw it for what it was and did not want change, and won the day, I remember saying at the time the Irish didnt get offended at the Notre Dame Logo and no one clamoured to get rid of the fighting Irish symbol, sometimes tradition matters and you should not take youself too seriously.
There are a huge number of Native Americans and Native American representative groups who find the Redskin name offensive and would like it changed. That's good enough for me. I don't think we should have a say in it.

stew

Quote from: heganboy on January 31, 2018, 04:00:19 AM

Let it go.

There are now 63 different genders, thats what my issue is, it is a disgrace.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

oakleaflad

Alex Smith is off to Washington, contracted to them for the next 5 seasons. First missing piece of the QB jigsaw in place.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 31, 2018, 05:17:28 AM
Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on January 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

Orais, remember the Washington Bullets? I know you do, now if ever a name needed to go it was that one, that said, the Washington Redskins are iconic, they pay great respect to the native people of America and in my opinion the name should stay forever, I have tremendous respect for native Americans, one of the biggest Redskin fans ever was the leader of the Navaho people who was an avid Redskins fan, there was tremendous heat for I think Dan Snyder, the owner to change the name, the leader loved the name redskins, saw it for what it was and did not want change, and won the day, I remember saying at the time the Irish didnt get offended at the Notre Dame Logo and no one clamoured to get rid of the fighting Irish symbol, sometimes tradition matters and you should not take youself too seriously.
There are a huge number of Native Americans and Native American representative groups who find the Redskin name offensive and would like it changed. That's good enough for me. I don't think we should have a say in it.

Including the Navajo nation by the way. In April 2014, a Navajo Nation Council committee voted 9-2 in support of a bill called "Opposing the Use of Disparaging References to Native People in Professional Sports Franchises."

Of course some members of the Navajo nation, which is based largely around the South West, mainly Arizona with a bit in New Mexico and Utah, think it's a big deal about nothing, but it's not true to imply the Navajo don't have a problem with this because their president sat wearing a redskins cap at a Cardinals game. I don't think there is any proof that he is a redskins fan at all to be honest, I think he was just doing 'business'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790494/washington-redskins-owner-sits-navajo-nation-president-game-against-arizona-cardinals-latest-attempt-defend-team-s-racist-name.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 31, 2018, 09:50:52 AM
Alex Smith is off to Washington, contracted to them for the next 5 seasons. First missing piece of the QB jigsaw in place.

Where will Cousins land? He's going to get a massive contract. I'm not sure I want him in Arizona to be honest, on that sort of Salary Cap hit. Who else is looking for QB? Cleveland might be in for him, they have space.

screenexile

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 09:07:43 AM

Let it go.

It's also got f**k all to do with the argument in question and f**k all to do with the American sports thread . . . vintage stew!!!

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 09:53:13 AM

Where will Cousins land? He's going to get a massive contract. I'm not sure I want him in Arizona to be honest, on that sort of Salary Cap hit. Who else is looking for QB? Cleveland might be in for him, they have space.

Broncos, Jags, Bills & Jets for starters I would say
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

oakleaflad

Quote from: Minder on January 31, 2018, 09:59:45 AM

Broncos or Jets seems to be the talk of the Twitterverse at the moment for Cousins.

AZOffaly

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. Who else is looking for him , and has Cap Space?

Gmac

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 10:04:31 AM

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. Who else is looking for him , and has Cap Space?
cleveland

Therealdonald

heganboy

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 09:07:43 AM

Let it go.

You grew up with 3 tv channels, now there's thousands, just pick what you like and get on with it. Why does it matter? Why are you so angry about this?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gmac