The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Leeds need 1 point more than Burnley/Everton
The goal difference is atrocious
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

The life of a Leeds fan must be a frustrating existence!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2022, 08:08:35 PM

I'm afraid it's part of the package that includes stress, anxiety and despair, to name but three.

Zero points from the last three games, although the likelihood of getting anything from those games was always going to be slim. The last two matches were always going to be the games that counted - home to Brighton and away to Brentford.

Last night's game was desperate stuff. Never looked remotely like causing Chelsea problems in the first 23 minutes, and then when Dan James was sent off for a reckless challenge, it was a matter of damage limitation. To add to our woes, Harrison went off injured and must be a doubt and Raphinha was taken off, whilst appearing to indicate a groin problem. Both would represent huge losses for the next two games.

Everton's draw at Watford means they are not out of the woods yet, but the likelihood it is going to be Leeds or Burnley and as Seafoid said, we need to get one point more than Burnley. I have to say my sense is that it will take four points and I'm struggling to see us getting them.   

lurganblue

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 12, 2022, 09:08:10 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2022, 08:08:35 PM

I'm afraid it's part of the package that includes stress, anxiety and despair, to name but three.

Zero points from the last three games, although the likelihood of getting anything from those games was always going to be slim. The last two matches were always going to be the games that counted - home to Brighton and away to Brentford.

Last night's game was desperate stuff. Never looked remotely like causing Chelsea problems in the first 23 minutes, and then when Dan James was sent off for a reckless challenge, it was a matter of damage limitation. To add to our woes, Harrison went off injured and must be a doubt and Raphinha was taken off, whilst appearing to indicate a groin problem. Both would represent huge losses for the next two games.

Everton's draw at Watford means they are not out of the woods yet, but the likelihood it is going to be Leeds or Burnley and as Seafoid said, we need to get one point more than Burnley. I have to say my sense is that it will take four points and I'm struggling to see us getting them.

I suspect that you are right on that one.  I dont think that is impossible though.  I see it coming down to the final game.

Billys Boots

QuoteI have to say my sense is that it will take four points and I'm struggling to see us getting them.   

I don't see 4 points under any realistic circumstances, Rufus!  :'(
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

If Burnley lose their game in hand it will be easier.

seafoid

Big day today. Burnley versus Tottenham
Leeds versus Brighton.
Tús maith leath na h-oibre.

Rufus T Firefly

A point that could yet prove invaluable and yet (for me) there's a sense that we needed more. I look back on yesterday and bemoan the chances missed, with Gelhardt's goal bound shot hitting Cooper in the face as he stood on the line, and Raph's freekick thunderbolt coming back off the bar. But if truth be told, we could easily have lost, and were thankful for Wellbeck missing a sitter late on and Striujk's injury time equaliser.

Definite game of two halves. Appeared very nervous and error prone in the first half - threw caution to the wind and played with great heart and determination in the second half and even Potter felt we were not undeserving of the draw.

The hope is that Burnley get clipped at Villa on Thursday, and then it comes down to a shoot out with Leeds needing to at worst, equal Burnley's result.  Brentford away for us is going to be a tough ask, with Ericson (sp) pulling the strings for them. Burnley are at home to Newcastle, so a lot will depend on the Newcastle approach.

Everton are at home to Palace and away to Arsenal in their last two, and I could see then losing both, but I cannot see us winning at Brentford, which would allow us to overtake them in terms of points. Our goal difference could yet be our undoing.

seafoid

Yesterday morning on the BBC website someone said that if results went against Leeds, the club could be all but down by teatime.
But Burnley and Everton both lost. The goal difference means Leeds have no room for complacency. The point was very important. Burnley could lose all 3 matches. It's all to  play for.

Mourne Rover

Leeds supporters are used to tension but this week is off the scale. We were almost certainly gone before Struijk's 92nd minute goal and the pressure now switches to Everton and Burnley on Thursday. You would expect Everton to win at home against Palace and Burnley on their performance yesterday are well capable of getting a result at Villa. There must be a serious danger that Burnley and Leeds draw their remaining fixtures, which would obviously put us down on goal difference. If Leeds are left needing three points at Brentford to stay up on the last day, you would have to take it. However, we apparently have not won there for over 70 years. Our hopes largely rest with Gelhardt, who has just turned 20. Drink may be needed before, during and after Sunday's games.

Rufus T Firefly

Tonight is huge. The ideal scenario of course is that Burnley are beaten by Villa and we just have to match their result on Sunday. I could see Everton getting clipped in both their remaining fixtures, but for us to overtake them, we would need to win at Brentford, and I'm struggling with that scenario, to be honest.

White knuckle ride coming up and I'm not looking forward to it.   :(

seafoid

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2022, 08:31:59 PM
Everton 0 Palace 2

Remarkable comeback by Everton to save their Premier League status. To be honest, I never thought it likely we could catch them, so the real interest was at Villa Park. Having given them a real going over at Turf Moor only recently, I was hoping Villa might do the same again last night, but it wasn't to be. Villa had chances but were denied by a world class performance from the Burnley keeper, Nick Pope. Indeed, Burnley could have snatched a win late on, but for an unbelievable block by Tyrone Mings late in the game.

That point means that Leeds now need to better Burnley's score on Sunday, and my sense is that that means a win at Brentford will be needed, which I just cannot see happening. Nothing of course is impossible, but Leeds now look odds on for the drop.  :(

lurganblue

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 20, 2022, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2022, 08:31:59 PM
Everton 0 Palace 2

Remarkable comeback by Everton to save their Premier League status. To be honest, I never thought it likely we could catch them, so the real interest was at Villa Park. Having given them a real going over at Turf Moor only recently, I was hoping Villa might do the same again last night, but it wasn't to be. Villa had chances but were denied by a world class performance from the Burnley keeper, Nick Pope. Indeed, Burnley could have snatched a win late on, but for an unbelievable block by Tyrone Mings late in the game.

That point means that Leeds now need to better Burnley's score on Sunday, and my sense is that that means a win at Brentford will be needed, which I just cannot see happening. Nothing of course is impossible, but Leeds now look odds on for the drop.  :(

The save by Martinez and block by Mings were outstanding, but overall i cant believe villa didnt come away with a win there.  Pope made save after save right out of the top drawer.

It sets up a big final day finish.  There will be more twists and turns.

seafoid