NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:20:29 PMhttps://x.com/so_92/status/1774758687636070636?s=46&t=F_sQ_3viFZ6zidQYNagDEA

Good angle to show that Lane didn't see the incident at the time. Turn round due to the crowd's reaction

So he turned around, observed a player lying on the ground and an opponent standing over him, but didn't think to stop play to adjudicate.
That  seems like good refereeing.
Don't think he should have stopped it. He got a good bit wrong but got that one spot on.

SHEEDY

One of the best games in years and people still want to focus on the referee.
In games like this there's loads going on both on and off the ball, as a neutral I thought the referee had a decent game.
nil satis nisi optimum

thewobbler

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 01, 2024, 03:26:56 PMOne of the best games in years and people still want to focus on the referee.
In games like this there's loads going on both on and off the ball, as a neutral I thought the referee had a decent game.

It's just odd behaviour.

About 1 in 200 last minute hoofs into the box result in a goal.

About 1 in 200 of those happen after a man wins possession clean.

Derry made a mess.

But let's make the ref the focus after making the right call.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 02:13:11 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 02:00:38 PM
Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:48:27 PM
Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:20:29 PMhttps://x.com/so_92/status/1774758687636070636?s=46&t=F_sQ_3viFZ6zidQYNagDEA

Good angle to show that Lane didn't see the incident at the time. Turn round due to the crowd's reaction

So he turned around, observed a player lying on the ground and an opponent standing over him, but didn't think to stop play to adjudicate.

So are you saying you want the referee to stop play every time that situation arises?

So a team on the attack in the final minutes of a game, a player on the defending hits the ground, the crowd reacts, referee stops play, consults all his other officials, nobody seen anything. Play restarts with a free to the attacking team which they aren't allowed to score from and the defending team are now set with everyone back and marking their opponents.

Fair point.

But is he not in communication with his supporting officials, i.e. when a linesman witnesses an actual legitimate assault/incident and informs the referee of the incident. It seemed like the linesman saw that happen yesterday.

Jesus this is nauseating!!

Linesmen do NOT HAVE THE POWER to award a free.

At that point he rest of your point is pointless
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

1/200 you make that one up? Sure Armagh got 2 in about 5 long balls in against Galway 2yrs ago.

thewobbler

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2024, 03:51:12 PM1/200 you make that one up? Sure Armagh got 2 in about 5 long balls in against Halway 2yrs ago.

Okay 1/200 is stretching it.

But the reality is you remember that Armagh outcome so clearly because it happens so rarely.

Re yesterday I don't think I can honestly remember a last minute goal like that i.e a catch and finish, rather than a deflection. Put 7 men on the edge of the square and 7 men on the goal line and it just shouldn't be possible.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2024, 03:49:59 PM

So are you saying you want the referee to stop play every time that situation arises?

So a team on the attack in the final minutes of a game, a player on the defending hits the ground, the crowd reacts, referee stops play, consults all his other officials, nobody seen anything. Play restarts with a free to the attacking team which they aren't allowed to score from and the defending team are now set with everyone back and marking their opponents.

Fair point.

But is he not in communication with his supporting officials, i.e. when a linesman witnesses an actual legitimate assault/incident and informs the referee of the incident. It seemed like the linesman saw that happen yesterday.

I don't he's claiming that the linesman could award a free, just he communicated with the ref  and the ref took that into consideration.
I thought it was a solid red card when watching the tv replays but now it looks more of a collision with the Derry player moving towards Fenton and Fenton put his hands up to ward him off.
At  the very least its not an open and shut case, so Fenton should gain absolution.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 11:19:25 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:03:05 AMReferees have been called back, at the next break in play, by umpires and linesmen to discuss off-the-ball incidents, since forever and a day. Some will act on their fellow official's advice and administer cards, some will not. But I don't yet think I've ever seen the previous passage of play cancelled as a result of the retrospective card / cards.

I think some people have been watching too much association football and its bizarre and erratic implementation of VAR, and gotten confused.

Nah, common sense really. Throw ball should be the next step at a minimum.

And what if from the resultant passage of play, a high ball goes in, two players challenge awkwardly, then get up off the floor and beat the reed out of each other in front of the referee?

Is it commonsense to ignore that passage of play too and just take the game back to a free for Derry where Fenton's lash out took place?

You can come up with as many obscure scenarios as you want, point is that it doesn't seem right that Dublin get the 45 after one of their players commits a foul that warranted a red card.

It might not "seem right" but then your issue is with the rules in this instance, not Conor Lane's application of them. You can't expect a ref to make up rules on the fly because you think the rule as is is shit. Take it up with congress.

nrico2006

Fair point.

I didn't say that linesmen have that power, you seem to like to make things up. I was talking about the specific incident yesterday that ultimately led to the equaliser, where I would have thought the linesman could or should have alerted the ref about the foul by Fenton.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Jesus what was the ref meant to do. Any game I've ever been at if theres been something the ref hasn't seen at the next break in play he'll speak to linesmen umpires and then make the call.

clarshack

The referee got some things wrong but in a game like that every other referee would have too. Let's hope both teams meet again later in the summer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 09:28:15 PM

Fair point.

I didn't say that linesmen have that power, you seem to like to make things up. I was talking about the specific incident yesterday that ultimately led to the equaliser, where I would have thought the linesman could or should have alerted the ref about the foul by Fenton.

Ok I take it back, explain to me what you think the linesman can do, and whats is his role per rules?

In the game, this incident, the linesman informed him after the incident, but the play continued as the ref was with play. After play the ref took the correct action.

You can't just apply your own rules.

This would be normal in juvenile games at club level or senior
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

James Horan

"I'm sure Conor Lane is at the heart of discussions,". "It is in any game when it is tight, every call is going to be scrutinised. Think for a second, he refereed the full game. He did 100 minutes basically. It (the pitch) is around 145m by 90m in Croker. The pace and tempo of that game, he is running up and down the pitch all day. Think of the fatigue factor alone, what it would be like for the last 25 minutes of normal time. Then you go into extra-time as well."

"Anyone trying to ref a game of that tempo on that size of a pitch under those conditions, are we giving a ref an impossible job? Think of basketball or other games. Soccer is a smaller pitch with fewer players. Are our umpires and linesmen helping the ref in a game like that? Do they have the power?

"There has to be something done. It is too much for one guy to try and ref that to the level we demand or want in my opinion."
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

In relation to rules, what excately was the free for for Dublin last point in Normal time.?

Jell 0 Biafra

A foul on the player passing the ball.   If you watch right after the call, Lane clearly indicates that there was high contact from the defender across the neck.   The replays are inconclusive about whether it was high or not, but the defender got player, not  ball, so it was a foul.