NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2024, 10:27:36 PMRemember Dublin lost League finals in  2011, 2017, 2020.

No League finals in 2020.

imtommygunn

I *think* that is what I saw. Looked back at their twitter clip from RTÉ  a few times. The other boy o'dell was just being annoying. Looked to me like he was kicking / sweeping at mccloskey's legs. Good job it wasn't mulholland or there'd have needed to be an amputation  ;D

(Lynch is grand btw just not fantastic. As an outfield spare man I thought Kerry saw him as a weakness last year and allowed him in positions to shoot then closed him down and turned over. )

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 31, 2024, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2024, 10:27:36 PMRemember Dublin lost League finals in  2011, 2017, 2020.

2011 Kerry, Mayo 2017 had the opportunity of beating Dublin and found ways to lose I doubt Derry will do the same if given the same opportunity this summer.

Before you get on your high horse, They made hard work of today after being in two comfortable positions? Derry have also to navigate a tough province to get seeding.

Also, remember this is the League, it's great to win and for confidence. But it means FA in the summer.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on March 31, 2024, 10:32:13 PMThe team that beats Dublin will win the All Ireland title but Derry have overcome a big psychological hurdle today by coming out on top in a big game in Croke Park. They're still probably third in a 3 horse race for Sam but they've proven that they will be contenders.

They also seem to have much more strength in depth than previous years, their subs had a big impact today when I expected them to wilt in extra time.

That's probably true but we're legitimately in the top 3 now without question which is just class!

Championship will be a different story McGuinness loves an ambush he'll have something up his sleeve for us!

Mario

Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2024, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 10:40:27 PMhe's so attacking in everything he does.

Is he really? Most of the time he just takes and gives a handpass. You almost never see him attack the way someone like Rafferty (or even Morgan) does.
Forward kick passing was very good today. He's a goalkeeper, not an outfield player in goals

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 10:57:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2024, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 10:40:27 PMhe's so attacking in everything he does.

Is he really? Most of the time he just takes and gives a handpass. You almost never see him attack the way someone like Rafferty (or even Morgan) does.
Forward kick passing was very good today. He's a goalkeeper, not an outfield player in goals

Absolutely, and that shows in his shot stopping compared to the likes of Rafferty.

That result today is a real shot in the arm for Derry. Great to see a bit of fire in the belly again. Plenty to work on but we are inching forward in the right direction.

Also, just to say how good was Jarlath Burns today. A total Gael and the way he conducted the presentations was first class. Well and truly shows up his predecessor as the complete spoofer he was. 

Rossfan

Shouldn't the Ref have made Lynch change his blueish jersey?
An exciting game, dramatic finishes to normal and extra time but it's only th'oul League.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2024, 11:17:11 PMShouldn't the Ref have made Lynch change his blueish jersey?
An exciting game, dramatic finishes to normal and extra time but it's only th'oul League.

It was mainly white?

Obviously his eyes were able to tell the difference
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 10:40:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2024, 10:24:04 PMSmall booting mccloskey deserves a ban. Dirty act.

Agree. I still think lynch a potential weakness. Kerry, I think, knew this last year.

Still would fancy Dublin too. Mccaffrey off the bench kills teams and he is a huge miss as much as anyone. Derry will put it up to anyone but a loss in ulster would set them back so they need to navigate that first.
Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2024, 10:13:50 PMWhelo is right, there'll be serious words in the Dublin camp over that nonsense at the end. Having just lost Fenton, going another man down with a chance of ref playing on was crazy.

Don't understand why so many are clamouring for a square ball. Do people genuinely not know the rule?!

Lynch for me is a bit of a particular worry for Derry going forward. He doesn't look comfortable on the ball out the field when he's under anything resembling pressure. Normally he's just linking play with nobody near him but if there's an opponent close and he has to carry it past someone he looks vulnerable. Flapped badly at the ball coming in that gifted Basquel the goal and then for the equaliser he was in no mans land once the second chance came in.

Dublin will still rightly be favourites and McCarthy in particular will be crucial to have back. If all their big guns are firing, still not sure anyone will live with them but knock one or two of them off their stride and they're simply not the same team at all. Con, dives aside, was largely unseen all day and Kilkenny and Fenton were both very quiet.
Lynch getting a bit of stick but I thought he'd a good game aside from the first goal. I love Lynch, he takes risks all the time, sometimes makes mistakes but it's water off a ducks back and he goes again. His kickouts were brilliant, he's so attacking in everything he does and having watched Derry without him we are a much better team with him.  Scullion did well in his absence but is a more traditional keeper.

100% agree.
Lynch doesn't get the credit he deserves. What other keeper would you choose for penalties?
His kickouts are top drawer. He's intelligent too, on dub kickouts he covered space,  marked men and organised others.  Only better keeper in the country is cluxton in my view.

ONeill

Well done Harte too. Has taken Derry to a Tyrone level.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

Has Fenton found another J Barry nemesis in Rodgers,

Aaron Boone

It does look like a platform for Derry.

We are in the middle of something very special by this team.

Jell 0 Biafra

Happy enough with the league this year. Obviously would have preferred a different result today, but a bunch of lads who have been at the periphery of the squad in recent times got a lot of game time over the course of the league, and some of those had today  their first taste of a high-intensity game with something on the line.

I think some of our younger defenders aren't quite at the level required yet, but I'd be fairly hopeful that today will help bring them on, and, as I said above, I'd be fairly confident that the old guard have another tilt in them this year.

Gazboy

What a performance and result by Derry today,div 1 champions for the first time since 2008.Lets not get carried away though and just look ahead to the Donegal game in few weeks time in Celtic park.

Wildweasel74

Think that Chrissy McKaigue, the only man to win each of the 4 Divisional titles. Hard believe 5 yrs ago in Ballinascreen. There was only 300 odd supporters at a fball /hurling double header. Surely any lower team got to look at Derry and say why can't we do it too.