Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I thought Francie's was a gripping episode,  just how many words could Thomas extract from the taciturn Francie before the 'interview' ended. There were some patches where dead air blew up a storm, inspiring an avalanche of words from an ever frantic Thomas, to which Francie would invariably reply after yet another pause, 'yes'/'could be'/ 'don't remember'.

There is a unique feature with the GAA social (well apart from managing to almost humanise Tyronies),   according to Thomas each and every last week's podcast was the  best ever podcast they have ever done, revealing deep deep stuff, the deepest ever revealed  not just on GAA social but on Irish airwaves.

That said, I do enjoy it and am a regular listener.

Dubh driocht

As much as the Kevin Hughes episode was good, yesterday's was rubbish. No preparation, no insight, no analysis and loads of pregnant pauses.
For example, in reviewing the Armagh Westmeath game, T asks O, do you think the  best team lost?
Pause
To tell you the truth I don't know

imtommygunn

Quote from: Main Street on May 29, 2023, 10:12:39 PM
I thought Francie's was a gripping episode,  just how many words could Thomas extract from the taciturn Francie before the 'interview' ended. There were some patches where dead air blew up a storm, inspiring an avalanche of words from an ever frantic Thomas, to which Francie would invariably reply after yet another pause, 'yes'/'could be'/ 'don't remember'.

There is a unique feature with the GAA social (well apart from managing to almost humanise Tyronies),   according to Thomas each and every last week's podcast was the  best ever podcast they have ever done, revealing deep deep stuff, the deepest ever revealed  not just on GAA social but on Irish airwaves.

;D I agree with all of that. I enjoyed Francie and yes every week the best ever. I don't know how they will keep getting better forever.

maldini

Niblock always asks the question - now what do you mean by that?

trailer

Firstly I like the podcast. But the Francie one wasn't their best. Francie isn't an outgoing character and it reminded me of some of those Keane interviews were he says nothing of interest. I get why Francie doesn't do them, he has nothing he wants to say. Thomas is a good interviewer and he should have known not to bother interviewing him. I actually got interrupted about 10 mins from the end of it and didn't bother going back to finish it.
He has done some really good ones though. The Aoife Lennon one is excellent. Brian Canavan, Jarlath Burns and the Mark Lynch ones are very good. They've got that human story that maybe I'm into.

trailer

Quote from: maldini on May 30, 2023, 11:08:56 PM
Niblock always asks the question - now what do you mean by that?

Could you tell us a little more, inasmuch as you're comfortable with....

statto

Quote from: trailer on May 31, 2023, 09:48:26 AM

Firstly I like the podcast. But the Francie one wasn't their best. Francie isn't an outgoing character and it reminded me of some of those Keane interviews were he says nothing of interest. I get why Francie doesn't do them, he has nothing he wants to say. Thomas is a good interviewer and he should have known not to bother interviewing him. I actually got interrupted about 10 mins from the end of it and didn't bother going back to finish it.
He has done some really good ones though. The Aoife Lennon one is excellent. Brian Canavan, Jarlath Burns and the Mark Lynch ones are very good. They've got that human story that maybe I'm into.

The Devenney and Kilpatrick ones I felt were also good. 

Armamike

Have only recently started listening to them.  Thought the Brian Canavan one was excellent.  Gave a great insight into him as a person.  The Kevin Hughes one was very moving and had me gripped listening to him. I've never met Kevin but he came across as a very decent,  well grounded individual.

I'm not sure Michael Parkinson could have got more out of Francie.  Thomas tried but it was hard work.  There were a few snippets that made it worth listening to and the very fact that we got to hear him speak at all was novel in itself.
That's just, like your opinion man.

timmyot501

I do enjoy the BBC GAA Social.  Many of them have been top notch and there is a good balance between football or hurling, depending on who is being interviewed, and other life events.

The Kevin Hughes one last week will be hard to follow this week.  Unreal what that man has gone through.  He is a good talker, and in fairness Thomas let him talk for long period without butting in (as there was no need to interrupt).

LC

Quote from: Armamike on May 31, 2023, 10:56:23 AM
Have only recently started listening to them.  Thought the Brian Canavan one was excellent.  Gave a great insight into him as a person.  The Kevin Hughes one was very moving and had me gripped listening to him. I've never met Kevin but he came across as a very decent,  well grounded individual.

I'm not sure Michael Parkinson could have got more out of Francie.  Thomas tried but it was hard work.  There were a few snippets that made it worth listening to and the very fact that we got to hear him speak at all was novel in itself.

The fact that FB never did interviews meant there would be a greater interest to hear them speak.  I think Ciaran McDonald was similar, did all his talking on the pitch, however I think I saw him being interviewed once on 2nd Captains, came across very well.

tonto1888

The Philly McMahon one is good

quit yo jibbajabba

Niblock with another one on the way. Phenomenal. Beyond powerful

imtommygunn

I thought Oisin wasn't great with being impartial this week with RON etc. He didn't sound too happy with Enda McGinley lol. I think McGinley a very good pundit but is very biased when it comes to Tyrone. McConville the same with Armagh though so no really a leg to stand on.

I still thought Brian Canavan was the best one and tbh I always found his voice very annoying commentating etc so wasn't sure I would have been a fan but it was very good.

yellowcard

I think the quality of Oisins punditry has gone down a level this year probably because of the gig he took on at Wicklow. He no longer views the game as a spectator as he is part of the coaching fraternity. So he doesn't call out some of the rubbish on view and tends to sit on the fence a lot more. Maybe that was to be expected but I don't think a current manager should be doing punditry work.

Enda McGinley knows the game inside out alright but the balance has now switched firmly in favour of cold hard analysis rather than any form of entertainment. That seems to be what RTE in particular want but the matches are often turgid enough without listening to more dreary stats based analysis. I'd listen to the BBC social which has been excellent with all of the back stories which I'd prefer to the more analysis driven podcasts. Parkinson is the best of those as he has the balance right between entertainment as well as being very knowledgable, will give an actual opinion, has good guests and is an astute analyst himself.     

J70

Is Parkinson's one worth paying for? I used to enjoy his GAA Hour one a few years back.

Devenney had him on last week on his Donegal podcast and gave him a chance to push it. From the sounds of it Devenney is one of Parkinson's regular guests, along with Aaron Kernan (who also comes on Devenney's one a couple of times each season).