PRELIMINARY ROUND: New York v MAYO (Gaelic Park, New York, 4th May)

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMayoFan

Carmen Stateside - Is there much going on before or after the game? 

MusclesMagoo

Carmen - any advice on travelling out to Gaelic Park from Manhatten? I recall the last time we took a cab which took forever and he ended up getting lost a few times as well...

joemamas

Quote from: AMayoFan on April 23, 2014, 10:31:01 AM

Tea and sandwiches before and after. !!!

It is a great occassion to meet up with friends, after half-time, it is little more than a training session, where hopefully no injuries occur.

joemamas

Quote from: MusclesMagoo on April 23, 2014, 11:27:28 AM
Carmen - any advice on travelling out to Gaelic Park from Manhatten? I recall the last time we took a cab which took forever and he ended up getting lost a few times as well...

if you are staying in midtown or westside then 1 or 9 train to second last stop. walk three blocks to Gaelic Park. Train should take no more than 45 mins from midtown.

mayo.mick

Quote from: MusclesMagoo on April 23, 2014, 11:27:28 AM

Loads of info here, http://mayoclub51.com/new-york-new-york/

Will be more info on events and meet ups towards the weekend.

1 train uptown, about 40/50 mins, hop off at 238th st, about 2 blocks.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

AMayoFan

Quote from: joemamas on April 23, 2014, 01:00:53 PM
Quote from: AMayoFan on April 23, 2014, 10:31:01 AM

Tea and sandwiches before and after. !!!

It is a great occassion to meet up with friends, after half-time, it is little more than a training session, where hopefully no injuries occur.

Sounds great. Thanks

5 Sams

This fixture should be rotated around the provinces...I would love a trip to NYC to see Down playing. (probably a banana skin for us though :( :()
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 23, 2014, 04:21:39 PM
This fixture should be rotated around the provinces...I would love a trip to NYC to see Down playing. (probably a banana skin for us though :( :()

To hell or to Connacht (if you want to play New York)

AMayoFan

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 23, 2014, 04:21:39 PM

Yeah a novel team to play (as is London, whom are probably less novel and more dangerous nowadays).  In any case isn't NY in Ulster for Hurling .. i think i remember they even made it to Ulster final recently but Antrim (or GAA) wouldn't agree to change location and play them over there. 

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: muppet on April 23, 2014, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: MusclesMagoo on April 23, 2014, 01:06:58 PM
Fair play - thanks

Welcome back MM.

Long time I think.

Thanks Muppet, been a while surely. Have been keeping a regular eye on ye though don't worry...

Shrewdness

Am i the only one who thinks that this game is a non event and a waste of time. Yes, i accept from a cultural point of view that it's a big weekend annually for the Irish in New York. But from a football point of view, it's an absolute waste of time. At least London made their mark on the Connacht championship last year. But New York aren't even competitive. In the last 2 years, Roscommon and Leitrim hammered New York, ironically by the same scoreline each year. Mayo should win this by at least 15 points, but what's the point of it all?

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:49:32 PM
Am i the only one who thinks that this game is a non event and a waste of time. Yes, i accept from a cultural point of view that it's a big weekend annually for the Irish in New York. But from a football point of view, it's an absolute waste of time. At least London made their mark on the Connacht championship last year. But New York aren't even competitive. In the last 2 years, Roscommon and Leitrim hammered New York, ironically by the same scoreline each year. Mayo should win this by at least 15 points, but what's the point of it all?

Solidarity with the Irish diaspora. One of the pillars of the Irish ethnic identity is how it has continually been scattered to the four winds.

It means a hell of a lot to New York and for the sake of an Aer Lingus flight it's a small price to pay. Sure, some officials treat it as a junket but it is one of the aspects of the GAA that is unique and it should be protected from short-sighted cuts.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:49:32 PM

There is more point to this than that piece of Sh1t in November. Anyway it does no harm. The good folk abroad get to see an inter county team in the flesh.