Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: High Fielder on July 31, 2019, 09:12:33 AM
The Laois Today article says it all. The greatest list of Can't Haves and Don't Wants ever compiled. No harm intended to the lads

Personally I think there are a few good contenders here, especially Malachy O'Rourke or Jack O'Connor. Can't Haves only exist if they are not asked, think big and anything is possible.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/07/31/15-potential-candidates-for-the-laois-football-managers-job/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

I think the Squealers have first call on him Junior. We're going to find out very quickly that we had a good man in place and replacing him won't be easy. I'm not interested in new coaches until I know why Sugrue left. We'll know more about our future direction then

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

There is no doubt we had a good man in John Sugrue, what I really liked about him was the way he was investing in the future by running the area league and bringing on some good young players.

Our next appointment is vital if we are to continue with the progress we have made under John.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

To be honest, I'd say there's some reason why Sugrue left outside of family and business committments. I don't know that for sure, but I'm very surprised he's left at this time. He was building something up and was just getting started (it seemed), having built a good foundation. He doesn't strike me as a man who just gives that up unless something very negative happened. I certainly don't know this for sure but I'd guess there's some other reason there. Maybe we won't find that out eitherway.

It's hard to look at other possible managers at this time.

Leixlad

A huge loss - massive blow to all  of Laois football and wont be easily replaced. Best wishes to John whatever he does. 
Give it to Cheddar  8)

Chrimtain

Let's ask him to stay on, because there is nothing exciting about the options that Laois Today has put forward.

Blow-in

Ignore Laois Today. It's just click bait. End of story. Hasn't been one proper story on it all year. Our County Board need now to take their time when appointing someone new. Probably the biggest appointment in the history of the senior footballers been honest

Chrimtain

Hpefully, the County Board will ensure that the Divisional Championhip is a permanent part of the Laois GAA calendar from now on.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 31, 2019, 06:08:57 PM
Hpefully, the County Board will ensure that the Divisional Championhip is a permanent part of the Laois GAA calendar from now on.

Agreed. That area championship helps tell the difference between good club players and good county players. It also raised funds for a great cause, so it's a no brainer really.

Mad Mentor

The Laois manager's job is a far more attractive position today, to any prospective manager than it was two years ago - which is a huge credit to Sugrue. A squad that are going forward with the potential to challenge for the Super 8's and playing in Division two should entice a few genuine contenders you would hope. There must be some young ambitious managers out there looking to do the footballing equivalent of Eddie Brennan. A journeyman is precisely what we don't need now.

les Antiques

Stephen Rochford and Éamonn Fitzmaurice two names I'd like to see been mentioned . Rochford not going to stay a  number 2 forever and Fitzmaurice is will eventually be eager to return to inter county management after his sabbatical.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: les Antiques on July 31, 2019, 08:13:21 PM
Stephen Rochford and Éamonn Fitzmaurice two names I'd like to see been mentioned . Rochford not going to stay a  number 2 forever and Fitzmaurice is will eventually be eager to return to inter county management after his sabbatical.

I'd be shocked if either of them would be interested in managing Laois. They've managed All-Ireland challenging teams in Mayo and Kerry respectively. I know we've improved and have a bit of potential, but I don't think either will fancy it.

Butch Cassidy

Surprised Malachy McNulty isn't been mentioned, did good work with Portlaoise and Laois have talent from within that we should be developing.

High Fielder

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 31, 2019, 05:26:18 PM
Let's ask him to stay on, because there is nothing exciting about the options that Laois Today has put forward.

Until I hear the reason for his departure, he remains for me the best candidate for the job. I personally don't want anyone else in there. The statement told us he was leaving and nothing else. I have enough distrust of our CB not to leave it at that. If he comes out and gives valid reasons for leaving, then fair enough. Until then, I'm growing increasingly sceptical and be damned with talk of a replacement. f**k it even Cian O Neill gave a parting statement and the Squealers hated him. Sugrue was universally well got, so I'd like to hear what he has to say. Now that would be worth reading