Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on January 13, 2010, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 13, 2010, 07:36:11 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8457101.stm

Allan Mc Clay of Galen died yesteray - a great man who has donated millions upon millions of his wealth to good causes, most notably QUB research facilities.

I watched a programme on him a couple of years ago and was very impressed by his attitude to life

A couple of board members are employees so will have the black armbands on at work today. Gave over £20m to Queens for research over the years so fair play to him.
Was in work every day up until his sickness before Christmas. He gave millions to charities but he also bought the company back a few years ago when the whole plant was about 3 months from closure with the loss of about a thousand jobs. Never showed an interest in selling to the highest bidder so there are a couple of thousand people were reasonably secure in their jobs.

Ulick

Given McClay's net worth every penny of those millions he 'gave' away was tax deductable, except  by giving it to Queen's he gets his research and development done for him - handy way of getting something for nothing.

Shrewd businessman. Undoubtedly.

Great philanthropist? Pull the other one...

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on January 13, 2010, 11:22:11 PM
Given McClay's net worth every penny of those millions he 'gave' away was tax deductable, except  by giving it to Queen's he gets his research and development done for him - handy way of getting something for nothing.

Shrewd businessman. Undoubtedly.

Great philanthropist? Pull the other one...

Why do you say that ?

Bacon

Scottish rugby commentator Bill McLarron died today aged 86. He was the voice of rugby on the BBC for a generation.

Great old fashioned commentator. I always laughed when he used to say "and there's a wee bit of argie- bargie going on!" as half a dozen 20 stone rugby player knocked 7 bells out of each other.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Denn Forever

Quote from: Bacon on January 19, 2010, 02:59:00 PM
Scottish rugby commentator Bill McLarron died today aged 86. He was the voice of rugby on the BBC for a generation.

Great old fashioned commentator. I always laughed when he used to say "and there's a wee bit of argie- bargie going on!" as half a dozen 20 stone rugby player knocked 7 bells out of each other.

The voice of Saturday afternoon when the only live sport apart from horse racing was most likely Rugby with Bill.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 19, 2010, 03:36:47 PM

The voice of Saturday afternoon when the only live sport apart from horse racing was most likely Rugby with Bill.

A legend. RIP.

"....a great bullocking run......"
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

wow didn't know he was the old?

IMO the best Commentator of the lot a true legend of the game RIP
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

orangeman

A bit like the late, great Michael O'Hehir. He could make a good game out of a dire one.

Bacon

Quote from: ross4life on January 19, 2010, 03:46:31 PM

wow didn't know he was the old?

IMO the best Commentator of the lot a true legend of the game RIP

He must have been working well into his 70s.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

ross4life

good call  but Mclarron had the talent to bring the game alive, it almost felt like you were at the game when he was commentating, the 5/6 nations hasn't been the same since he left
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

A Quinn Martin Production

RIP... the voice of rugby when I was growing up...yes he was that old!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ross4life

Hardy

Strangely touching to hear of his death. He was an institution for all my life. A great one.

Quote from: ross4life on January 19, 2010, 04:48:26 PM
great piece on bill here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/south_of_scotland/8468319.stm

Andy Irvine's changed a lot since his Planxty days.

A Quinn Martin Production

Kate McGarrigle, sister of Anna and mother of Rufus and Martha Wainwright has died from cancer aged 63.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties