Laois Junior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Jd on July 31, 2019, 09:54:21 AM
Donal Miller Niall Donoher Fergal Byron Derek O Connell Darren Rooney all kicked with intermediate/ junior clubs. If tyrrell is good enough he'll be fine. Doubt if he'd be allowed transfer to Pl anyway

Also the fact that he has already "emerged" and been a  part of Laois development/underage squads for years will help. He has already been "spotted". His main development is going to happen from November-March with the Laois Seniors next year if he is good enough. If anything he could be glad of the break that comes every year when Laois are knocked out! Could be ideal! Summers in the sun!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 31, 2019, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: Jd on July 31, 2019, 09:54:21 AM
Donal Miller Niall Donoher Fergal Byron Derek O Connell Darren Rooney all kicked with intermediate/ junior clubs. If tyrrell is good enough he'll be fine. Doubt if he'd be allowed transfer to Pl anyway

Also the fact that he has already "emerged" and been a  part of Laois development/underage squads for years will help. He has already been "spotted". His main development is going to happen from November-March with the Laois Seniors next year if he is good enough. If anything he could be glad of the break that comes every year when Laois are knocked out! Could be ideal! Summers in the sun!
All the players mentioned there, play with Clubs who give a f**k about football however.

Keyser Söze

I see the point but to me the bigger worry is the pool available at underage and the opportunity to identify them and get them into Development squads.
It's not ideal that a prospective senior IC player probably has no opportunity to train at adult level in his own club, but he ya already spotted & developed. Solving his problem (and I'm sure a few clubs not too far away from him would accommodate his attendance at training) requires a lot less work & attitude changing than the bigger problem of denying huge numbers the opportunity to ever play the game underage in the other code.

Camross (and I'm no lover of them) lined out football teams from when he was 8/10 years old. I know he might not have been there until he was 12-14?
But Borris, Kilcotton, Castletown & Slieve Bloom (Matthew Whelan, Rob Jones, Reddins, Cuddys, Mullaneys, Ben Conroy etc) have done the same going back many years!

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 31, 2019, 02:18:41 PM
I see the point but to me the bigger worry is the pool available at underage and the opportunity to identify them and get them into Development squads.
It's not ideal that a prospective senior IC player probably has no opportunity to train at adult level in his own club, but he ya already spotted & developed. Solving his problem (and I'm sure a few clubs not too far away from him would accommodate his attendance at training) requires a lot less work & attitude changing than the bigger problem of denying huge numbers the opportunity to ever play the game underage in the other code.

Camross (and I'm no lover of them) lined out football teams from when he was 8/10 years old. I know he might not have been there until he was 12-14?
But Borris, Kilcotton, Castletown & Slieve Bloom (Matthew Whelan, Rob Jones, Reddins, Cuddys, Mullaneys etc) have done the same going back many years!
Oddly enough, it takes more than a development squad to develop a player to intercounty potential.

Keyser Söze

I don't see where I indicated that.

Problem 1: Hurling clubs put out juvenile football teams. Odd fella is good enough for Dev Squads. He goes in, continues with them, plays minor & U20 for Laois. He is not getting enough training/games with his club (in the months of August & September) after Laois are out of the championship.

Problem 2: Many football clubs blatantly disregard hurling, never put out teams at u8/10/13/15/17. Nobody from these clubs ever play competitive game of hurling. No point even mentioning that nobody from these clubs ever make it onto development squads.

Now, which of these problems is a priority? Which is bigger? Which is holding us back more?

Don Draper

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on July 31, 2019, 02:41:35 PM
You didn't. Don't be so tetchy.

A bit like Boris Johnson telling you to brush your hair!

Don Draper

There you go again. Alway on the defensive. Let down those barriers and let some love in.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on July 31, 2019, 02:45:12 PM
There you go again. Alway on the defensive. Let down those barriers and let some love in.

Ah stop! Who's next on your list?

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 31, 2019, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 31, 2019, 02:45:12 PM

Ah stop! Who's next on your list?
I think that you'll be doin' just fine if you relax a little

Sir Alex7

Graiguecullen gave a walkover in de junior a but played junior c last night..should they have being allowed junior c?

Keyser Söze

No. This keeps creeping up. In my opinion a bye law is needed. Once you concede a championship game, all teams of a lower grade age automatically removed from their championships.

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 02, 2019, 02:11:08 AM
No. This keeps creeping up. In my opinion a bye law is needed. Once you concede a championship game, all teams of a lower grade age automatically removed from their championships.
100%. What's to stop Graigue (and I'm not saying they did) naming their first 17, name 10 or so more senior standard players in the second 17 and add in 7 spurious names and then walk the junior b or c? Completely unfair.

Jd

It's scandalous what Graiguecullen did actually. If you're a one team club kicking at junior c then that's your level. All club competitions should be played from top down and if you can't field a second team at a higher level then I'm sure and certain that you shouldn't field a third in a lesser competition

Keyser Söze

I think the problem is that you are allowed concede one game & still be in a competition. That probably prevents Laois being able to do anything about it!