Flight cancellation, refund, compensation etc

Started by bogball88, March 18, 2020, 12:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated

We were due to fly from Krakow to Belfast on Sunday with Ryanair (two separate bookings), but they cancelled all flights until end of the month from Sunday onwards and communicated this to us on Saturday evening.

Panic booked an Easyjet flight to Manchester on the Saturday evening but mistakenly booked it for the following week. In any case, easyjet informed me later that evening that flight was also cancelled anyway as Poland was closing its borders.

Anyway, her brother managed to book us Easyjet flights from Krakow to Geneva, Geneva to Gatwick and Gatwick to Belfast on the Sunday, and all of these flights went ahead and we got home eventually.

I think the total cost of booking the flights back home came to approx. £1200. Will Ryanair refund/compensate the price of paying for these flights to get home with a separate airline? If not, will Easyjet refund/compensate me the cost of the new flights to get home as they had cancelled the flight that I had mistakenly bought for next week?

I have no holiday insurance, although Ms bogball does

Many thanks in advance

theticklemister

A lady in works daughter was for heading to New Zealand this week, but airlines never repaid her the money. They said you can still travel to New Zealand but the catch was of course spending two weeks in isolation.

Itchy

I'm almost certain most credit cards have cover agsinst this. Ring them up and tell them you paid, haven't received any goods and want money back.

screenexile

Quote from: theticklemister on March 18, 2020, 02:33:00 PM
A lady in works daughter was for heading to New Zealand this week, but airlines never repaid her the money. They said you can still travel to New Zealand but the catch was of course spending two weeks in isolation.

Did she have travel insurance??

FCO are advising against all non essential travel which means the majority of travel insurance will cover any flights you don't take until the advisory changes even if the flight is still on.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

theticklemister

armaghniac

Aer Lingus now offering vouchers for 110% of the flight cost. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Link

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2020, 01:47:32 PM

You got a source or link to this?

I have flights to Rome early may. I can change with no change fee to another location and date by paying fare difference but a voucher would be much handier right now due to the uncertainty.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Link on March 19, 2020, 02:41:44 PM

I have flights to Rome early may. I can change with no change fee to another location and date by paying fare difference but a voucher would be much handier right now due to the uncertainty.

They sent around an email this morning to people with flights booked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 19, 2020, 02:58:53 PM

What if the company goes bust? If you can get money back that be best?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Link

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 19, 2020, 02:58:53 PM

See it now! Big thanks to yourself and armaghniac