Destination Newry

Started by theticklemister, October 05, 2012, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

A really poor decision from ACB.  I doubt the coverage would have any real impact on the attendance.  Yes i would have watched it online but wouldnt be going to game anywsy.  I'I'll just keep an eye out for the result now, like lots of people.  I know a few people abroad watchef mu own club on sunday night past, brilliant for them.  They say nothing beats being there, well this runs it close.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

spuds

Pity as sounds like an excellent service. Would there be a legal side to this from the Armagh county board as in for future rights etc. ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

bennydorano

Co Board is in debt & danger, simples.

DuffleKing

Yeah, i think this is a fairly straightforward decision. Destination Newry has rightly gotten a fantastic response to their coverage of games. They advertising they could build around this could be very lucrative indeed. Already people are sitting in the house to watch rather than going to games.

The county board are concerned with loss in revenue and i guess the logic is that they need to at least recoup that figure to "sell" coverage. As much as we all love this initiative there's no way i'd be allowing it free gratis. It's The county board's most usable product and should be treated as such.

Throw ball

No matter how much people do not like the decision I think Duffleking has made a great point. I would have preferred to have let them show the games tomorrow and then argue about future projects though.

ogshead

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 13, 2012, 04:00:10 PM

Yeah, i think this is a fairly straightforward decision. Destination Newry has rightly gotten a fantastic response to their coverage of games. They advertising they could build around this could be very lucrative indeed. Already people are sitting in the house to watch rather than going to games.

The county board are concerned with loss in revenue and i guess the logic is that they need to at least recoup that figure to "sell" coverage. As much as we all love this initiative there's no way i'd be allowing it free gratis. It's The county board's most usable product and should be treated as such.

I agree but they left it feckin late to start negotiating as I mentioned earlier. This should have been a trial and then use it next year to start pulling money in. What will happen next year is that they will get some eijit in who will do a half arsed job with it and it will fall on it's face. A couple of years ago they Jerome Quinn making up highlights packages and interviewing someone after the game. The following year they done it themselves by the looks of it but the quality was not half as good and the thing fell by the wayside.

They should have stuck with the people who have the know how and do it right. Quality brings advertisers and sponsors in. If it isn't being done right the won't want to put the money into it

brokencrossbar1

They should have said to Destination Newry that the ACB will pay the £650 running costs but the County Board would keep the lions share of any advertising then they could properly market the whole show and get a few thousand pounds advertising.  Arse about way of doing things methinks.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 13, 2012, 04:59:56 PM
They should have said to Destination Newry that the ACB will pay the £650 running costs but the County Board would keep the lions share of any advertising then they could properly market the whole show and get a few thousand pounds advertising.  Arse about way of doing things methinks.

Don't be ridiculous.  That is far too sensible.

theticklemister

Is it true armagh count board r streaming the final tomorrow????

borderfox

yep
Armagh County Board with the help of volunteers will stream LIVE tomorrows Senior and Minor Club Finals on http://armaghgaa.net .
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bennydorano

Doubt it, that site took the feed from destinationnewry for previous games.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on October 13, 2012, 07:02:32 PM

It has been stated by Bainisteor on the armagh forum that it will be streamed live at 4pm wherever it is coming from.  lots of people in Australia are happier now.

Line Ball

I'd say it won't be too long until the Down County Board also pull the plug on Destination Newry.  If they thought that attendances were down because people could watch the games on the net, they would put a stop to it.

It will be interesting to see if next weeks final goes ahead on the net.

Great service by the way.

bennydorano

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 13, 2012, 07:04:12 PM

It has been stated by Bainisteor on the armagh forum that it will be streamed live at 4pm wherever it is coming from.  lots of people in Australia are happier now.
Game starts @ 3.45pm. Still suprised, great service that it is, there's no economic sense to it, unless they're making loot somewhere.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on October 13, 2012, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 13, 2012, 07:04:12 PM

Game starts @ 3.45pm. Still suprised, great service that it is, there's no economic sense to it, unless they're making loot somewhere.

I'd say they were put under pressure as a lot of people were hugely disappointed that it wasn't going to be streamed. They are missing a trick long term if they don't continue with streaming as there is a nice wee market to advertise on it.

BTW throw has been put back to 4pm as well. Give the minor game extra time to clear out the field.