?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

marty34

Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 05, 2023, 12:26:06 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on September 05, 2023, 11:19:44 AM
Shane Heavron is undoubtedly a very talented footballer and a brilliant penalty taker. However I think it was Shane's own decision to leave the panel as he felt that he was not getting enough game time. The counter argument apparently was that he did not have the work rate for modern football. I do not know how accurate that assessment  is because I did not see enough of him playing for Derry.

He is 29 now SO THIS WILL BE VERY MUCH A MAKE OR BREAK YEAR IF HE WANTS TO SERIOUSLY BE CONSIDERED FOR THE SENIOR COUNTY PANEL.

Anybody see other possible recruits for Senior call ups?Are Cahir McMonagle and Peter McCullagh possibles in this regard? Of course Ryan Dougan and Jack Doherty would be decided assets if they declared themselves available. Anybody know if Matthew and Enda Downey are fit again?

Don't think Matthew is but Enda has played most of the year for bridgets

Are them lads not very injury prone?

seanyb

Quote from: Derry Optimist on September 05, 2023, 11:19:44 AM
Shane Heavron is undoubtedly a very talented footballer and a brilliant penalty taker. However I think it was Shane's own decision to leave the panel as he felt that he was not getting enough game time. The counter argument apparently was that he did not have the work rate for modern football. I do not know how accurate that assessment  is because I did not see enough of him playing for Derry.

He is 29 now SO THIS WILL BE VERY MUCH A MAKE OR BREAK YEAR IF HE WANTS TO SERIOUSLY BE CONSIDERED FOR THE SENIOR COUNTY PANEL.

Anybody see other possible recruits for Senior call ups?Are Cahir McMonagle and Peter McCullagh possibles in this regard? Of course Ryan Dougan and Jack Doherty would be decided assets if they declared themselves available. Anybody know if Matthew and Enda Downey are fit again?

I don't buy that at all, he's one of the best forwards in the county & a big game player, he'd be a serious addition to that panel at 29...by all accounts Rory shafted him

jmcgdoire

Quote from: marty34 on September 05, 2023, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: jmcgdoire on September 05, 2023, 11:28:09 AM
Its my understanding that the players are happy with Meenagh and the committee would prefer him too at least for continuity.

I cant see him (or whoever is in charge) bringing in a player of 29/30 years of age in Heavron given where this team is at.

Would Cormac Murphy be in with a shout? or Larry Kielt?

Why wouldn't a lad at 29/30 be in a shout?

Just the age profile doesn't match what this set up has typically looked for.
For the record I think he could certainly bring a lot to the panel especially considering how we have seemed a little light up front. Id be happy to see it, I just dont envision it

JohnDenver

Hearing reports that the Ballinascreen Lavey game finished a feisty affair? Few red cards dished out to the screen, possibly harshly.

Hopefully screenexile will give us a reasoned impartial assessment.

Link

Irish news stating square ball was the wrong call. Any other neutrals give their view on it?

screenexile

Quote from: JohnDenver on September 05, 2023, 10:12:33 PM
Hearing reports that the Ballinascreen Lavey game finished a feisty affair? Few red cards dished out to the screen, possibly harshly.

Jesus there has to be someone better than Richie Donoghue!!

How can one umpire point to the goal, the other wave the flag then the ref who was 50 yards away come in and overrule it for square ball??!!

Benny Heron 100% should not have been sent off as well as a multitude of other poor decisions.

The second red was about the only thing he got right from what I could see.

On the match there wasn't much in it we did well to weather the black card, the disallowed goal would have had us a point up coming to the crunch. It would have given the team the energy needed to finish it out but they were tired and couldn't muster up much after that while Lavey slowed the game down and frustrated us which is to be expected.

Absolutely no way that was a straight red for Benny hopefully there's footage to get it overturned!

screenexile

I thought it wasn't a square ball and I was fairly close in line to it. I didn't think he was in the square when the ball was kicked but was when the ball arrived which should have been fine!

Silver hill

Quote from: screenexile on September 05, 2023, 10:23:41 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on September 05, 2023, 10:12:33 PM

Jesus there has to be someone better than Richie Donoghue!!

How can one umpire point to the goal, the other wave the flag then the ref who was 50 yards away come in and overrule it for square ball??!!

Benny Heron 100% should not have been sent off as well as a multitude of other poor decisions.

The second red was about the only thing he got right from what I could see.

On the match there wasn't much in it we did well to weather the black card, the disallowed goal would have had us a point up coming to the crunch. It would have given the team the energy needed to finish it out but they were tired and couldn't muster up much after that while Lavey slowed the game down and frustrated us which is to be expected.

Absolutely no way that was a straight red for Benny hopefully there's footage to get it overturned!

Always going to be the opinion of the defeated team.
As a neutral, with absolutely no skin in the game, I thought it was a straight red. He struck Toner straight into his face with the flat of his hand. The ball wasn't anywhere near it. I was too far away to see if it was a square ball or not. I thought he handled the game well overall.
On a side note, the abuse the linesmen got from screen supporters was a disgrace. The lad was there as a volunteer. Embarrassing actually.

Wildweasel74

Mccullagh good enough, Higgins too, The 2 glen men (McDermotts) of the U-20 are good players, the younger the better of the pair. I like to see E Bradley and J Doherty asked bck with the latter given a actual  chance. Conor and Mark McGrogan of Newbridge had been shown well too. Still can't find that scoring forward, beginning to think there not one in the county not already there. Need find a proper right footed free taker, plus someone who score more than 1/3 taking 45's. I be playing Murray and Downey from the start nxt Yr in the league to see if they can cut it.

North Man

Cahair Mc Monagle has to be considered
A natural inside 2 footed player.
Don't know what he was like last night, but Marty Bradley from the Screen has been talked about in this years championship

Silver hill

Yes, Marty Bradley's a decent ball carrier and a good athlete. Have been impressed with Conor Mulholland, the Lavey fullback as well.
Both of them have the basic raw material there to play county but the real question is are they prepared for the commitment and life sacrifices required to be a county footballer in this day and age?

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 06, 2023, 01:07:36 AM
Mccullagh good enough, Higgins too, The 2 glen men (McDermotts) of the U-20 are good players, the younger the better of the pair. I like to see E Bradley and J Doherty asked bck with the latter given a actual  chance. Conor and Mark McGrogan of Newbridge had been shown well too. Still can't find that scoring forward, beginning to think there not one in the county not already there. Need find a proper right footed free taker, plus someone who score more than 1/3 taking 45's. I be playing Murray and Downey from the start nxt Yr in the league to see if they can cut it.

I near fell off my chair reading that!  ;D... I agree BTW

Young McMonagle definitely deserves a crack

Estimator

Was never a square ball. No idea how any ref could feel the need to discuss, then overrule the decision of the two umpires right beside the incident.
On the two red cards, sheer frustration from both players, but I can't see either of them being overturned.
Ulster League Champions 2009

quit yo jibbajabba

Cahair has watched a replay and says correct call on the square ball. Just saying

screenexile

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 06, 2023, 12:03:02 PM
Cahair has watched a replay and says correct call on the square ball. Just saying

Cahair changed his mind again!!

It's done now so no point dwelling on it. I'd expect an appeal on Benny's red card. It was never a red for a push in the chest.