Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Link

You still haven't answered my question as to why full forward would start wrestling.

Not once in my posts have i mentioned a straight red.

Full back should have been off due to persistent fouling and holding off the ball. Multiple times as photos show.

GTP

The referee booked both players as they were both involved in wrestling each other to the ground in the goalmouth. The referee consulted his umpires and the linesman before issuing the yellows and I would presume this was to check what they had seen and to confirm no red card offences such as striking had taken place. Taken on its own merit for this individual incident the two bookings looked to be the correct decision.

From what I saw both players were at it throughout the match, and it wasn't possible to tell who started anything. Whilst you would say the defender is most likely to start the holding, a forward may also do so to get the defender involved aso they can win an easy free in front of the posts or get the opponent booked or sent off. Particularly if the ball into the full forward was unlikely to reach them. I thought Lynch's could have benefited from the situation better by getting the ball into the full forward more often drawing attention to the potential fouls and then picking up frees.

It was clear from early on that the referee was going to let things go and both teams seemed to take advantage of this without stepping over the line. In a tight game the referee's decisions, or in this case lack of decisions can always be queried. But Lynch's loss was more down to not taking as much advantage of the conditions in the second half especially since their goals had put them in a good position at half time.

Link

Quote from: GTP on August 21, 2023, 11:50:36 AM
The referee booked both players as they were both involved in wrestling each other to the ground in the goalmouth. The referee consulted his umpires and the linesman before issuing the yellows and I would presume this was to check what they had seen and to confirm no red card offences such as striking had taken place. Taken on its own merit for this individual incident the two bookings looked to be the correct decision.

From what I saw both players were at it throughout the match, and it wasn't possible to tell who started anything. Whilst you would say the defender is most likely to start the holding, a forward may also do so to get the defender involved aso they can win an easy free in front of the posts or get the opponent booked or sent off. Particularly if the ball into the full forward was unlikely to reach them. I thought Lynch's could have benefited from the situation better by getting the ball into the full forward more often drawing attention to the potential fouls and then picking up frees.

It was clear from early on that the referee was going to let things go and both teams seemed to take advantage of this without stepping over the line. In a tight game the referee's decisions, or in this case lack of decisions can always be queried. But Lynch's loss was more down to not taking as much advantage of the conditions in the second half especially since their goals had put them in a good position at half time.

That's what the umpires are there for. They could easily see who started the pulling and if they were miked up like our antrim friend has stated, it could have been nipped in the bud early. They took the cowardly option of ignoring it.

We often see instances in football of frees been given for holding inside. Not once did the donegal ref do this yesterday. As i say weak officials.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Link on August 21, 2023, 12:18:57 PM
Quote from: GTP on August 21, 2023, 11:50:36 AM

That's what the umpires are there for. They could easily see who started the pulling and if they were miked up like our antrim friend has stated, it could have been nipped in the bud early. They took the cowardly option of ignoring it.

We often see instances in football of frees been given for holding inside. Not once did the donegal ref do this yesterday. As i say weak officials.

The two players were warned about their behaviour by the umpires.

The pulling and dragging was not ignored.

Why dont you take up refereeing chap, if you think its so easy, especially in a full on championship match and see how you get on.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Link on August 21, 2023, 11:37:51 AM
You still haven't answered my question as to why full forward would start wrestling.

Not once in my posts have i mentioned a straight red.

Full back should have been off due to persistent fouling and holding off the ball. Multiple times as photos show.

So the Lynches player should have remained on the pitch ?

He was holding and dragging as much as the Lavey player.

Neither offence merits a straight red if you're going to use the logic that the Lavey full back should have been sent off.

Link

Still refusing to answer my question. Have a good day 'chap'

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Link on August 21, 2023, 01:13:06 PM
Still refusing to answer my question. Have a good day 'chap'

What sort of a question is that to ask as to why would the Lynches full forward be wrestling with his opponent?

You may enquire from the player himself as I would have no access to his train of thought at any time nor do I know who he is.

You're going to have to accept it that Lynches were beaten by a better team and are in danger of not making the senior hurling final. That is not the fault of the referee or his team of officials.

I take it you'll be attending the next refereeing course for new referees?

Wildweasel74

Played full forward when younger and full back for yrs after as a adult, so the lad asking why the forward holding all game is valid, never done it playing forward, what advantage is it to the forward none, while the pulling and dragging benefits the defender, should know, played both positions a long time.

themania1

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 21, 2023, 11:54:25 PM
Played full forward when younger and full back for yrs after as a adult, so the lad asking why the forward holding all game is valid, never done it playing forward, what advantage is it to the forward none, while the pulling and dragging benefits the defender, should know, played both positions a long time.

Exactly, no benefit to the forward whatsoever. In the match when the ball was heading towards the Lynchs forward line there was multiple times where the FF was dragged down. It was plain for everyone to see what was going on.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Sad news about Benny McPeake, a real warrior for the Screen. RIP.

tbrick18

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 25, 2023, 10:00:29 PM

+1
Rip Benny.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 25, 2023, 11:29:02 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 25, 2023, 10:00:29 PM

+1
Rip Benny.
A warrior on the field and a gentleman off it, RIP Benny

screenexile

That's a tough one to take Benny never drank or smoked and played football far longer than most. A picture of health until recently when it all went down hill so quickly.

A former Screen Captain and a leader in every sense. He was my coach for U16 and Minor and was still there playing reserves coming up to his forties coaching all the young lads through the game.

I had a number of coaches through the years and he was the best. Most coaches tell you to mark tighter or give generic nonsense to players but Benny would have been training us how to kick the ball properly and where to be at certain times in games. Really practical advice that you could use for the rest of your playing days.

A lot of us are still very close from that U16/Minor team and we talk fondly all the time of the craic we had with Benny and Danny and how they did their best to get so many of us through to senior.

Such a tragic thing to happen to his family I wish them strength through this time but he will be remembered fondly by many in Screen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

restorepride

Very sorry to hear about Benny. Good memories of MacRory football with him. A bit shocked to be honest.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2023, 09:53:15 AM
That's a tough one to take Benny never drank or smoked and played football far longer than most. A picture of health until recently when it all went down hill so quickly.

A former Screen Captain and a leader in every sense. He was my coach for U16 and Minor and was still there playing reserves coming up to his forties coaching all the young lads through the game.

I had a number of coaches through the years and he was the best. Most coaches tell you to mark tighter or give generic nonsense to players but Benny would have been training us how to kick the ball properly and where to be at certain times in games. Really practical advice that you could use for the rest of your playing days.

A lot of us are still very close from that U16/Minor team and we talk fondly all the time of the craic we had with Benny and Danny and how they did their best to get so many of us through to senior.

Such a tragic thing to happen to his family I wish them strength through this time but he will be remembered fondly by many in Screen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Nicely wrote screen
Wouldn't have heard too many negative things said about benny
Condolences to his family and all at St.Colms GAC
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012