Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

shawshank

Derry naivety? You must think your a football genius. Perhaps the management figured the best way to beat Kerry was the tactics they employed. The tactics worked, players failed to take the chances they created. Dublin will have noted Derrys approach. You should to

Whilst I don't agree with Brolly on Chrissy, he has been middling the year in comparison to his previous three years, and to defend Chrissy his injuries prevented him from getting to the level he had been playing to before. It happens, u can't control injuries

Wildweasel74

Dublin will have noted the big effect Clifford made in the game and have sense to try reduce the space in front of him.

Silver hill

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 27, 2023, 09:49:06 PM
He has been, I was at nearly ever game past few yrs  outside Cork this year and he been constantly a great marker. He got left open on a hiding to nothing with no secondary cover in the Kerry game and they talked about the good game, Fitzsimmons had on Clifford last Yr and he scored 4pts from play and a mark. I blame Derry naivety not to have suffice cover there.

Were u in Ballybofey this year?

Ghost

McKaigue levels has definitely dropped this year, seems to have lost that yard of pace but he was definitely up there as as good a man marker in the country up until this season. I'd say even McKaigue at his very best would have struggled against Clifford given the amount of space Derry allowed in front of him.

Mario

Quote from: Ghost on July 28, 2023, 07:41:32 AM
McKaigue levels has definitely dropped this year, seems to have lost that yard of pace but he was definitely up there as as good a man marker in the country up until this season. I'd say even McKaigue at his very best would have struggled against Clifford given the amount of space Derry allowed in front of him.
If he lost a bit of pace he was still touch tight for nearly every Clifford score. No one is getting the better of Clifford with the amount of space we afforded him. McQuillan didn't help either, if you breathed on Clifford he'd give him a free. Not saying I'd change the managements approach as we should have won the game just missed too many chances 2nd half. We shut down the rest of their attack and put them on the back foot.

Mckinless comments were interesting that they almost seen Kerry's attack as a bit one dimensional and you accept Clifford's scores but hope to keep the rest quiet. It remindede of Derry with Paddy Bradley for a lot of years, except Paddy could be stopped.

tbrick18

Quote from: shawshank on July 27, 2023, 10:43:08 PM
Derry naivety? You must think your a football genius. Perhaps the management figured the best way to beat Kerry was the tactics they employed. The tactics worked, players failed to take the chances they created. Dublin will have noted Derrys approach. You should to

Whilst I don't agree with Brolly on Chrissy, he has been middling the year in comparison to his previous three years, and to defend Chrissy his injuries prevented him from getting to the level he had been playing to before. It happens, u can't control injuries

I agree with most of this.
You can't question the tactics given that ultimately it was a combination of missed scores, poor refereeing decisions, Kerry rough-housing AND Clifford's perfmance.

I've been one of CMCK's biggest critics for years, especially when he played in the half back line. I always said he was never a county level half back but felt he should be played in the corner with a "simple" task of marking a man. He has excelled in that role which Gallagher put him into and last year he really was top drawer.
He has dipped off a little this year, but we have to bear in mind his age and the fact he had an injury. Clifford is one of those players who, at the minute, is unmarkable. By that I mean you will never restrict him to nothing. Chrissy won some battles with him and lost some. Some of those scores Clifford took against Derry were just exceptional and I don't believe any other corner back would have done any better. If we changed the tactics to nullify clifford, we blunted our own attacking threat and game plan.
I think the tactic was sound, the execution needed some work.

As for glass, some people very sore on the lad. He's been a constant positive since he returned and as one of the main reasons we have got to the level we are at. I don't agree when people said he didn't show up in 2 SF's. Against Galway, he made 1 mistake which ultimately resulted in a goal. We could argue the tactics were not right in that game though too. He also had a point disallowed which should have stood, imo.
This year in the SF, I think he came up against a quality opponent and they more or less nullified each other. Also, he was playing a slightly different role than the rest of the year.

I've actually a lot of time from Brolly, but he also talks some sh*te. lol.
Chrissy is probably passed his best, but I'm not sure we have another CB as good in the county right now.

This year was a huge positive in my view. With the manager situation aside, we hit every goal apart from winning an AI. How many other teams can claim to have done that?
We need to strengthen the panel, hopefully with some of the minors from that last few years filtering through and perhaps with some returnees.
If we can do that, maintain the consistency and drive, I think we are in a really good place.

For what it's worth, I think Kerry will win the AI.
Dublin have played 1 really good half all year and only showed glimpses against Monaghan.
They feel a little tired for me, whereas Kerry have youth and experience, are current champions and the Derry game will stand them well for a final.

JoG2

I'd agree with alot of this tbrick apart from 2 minor bits.
Zero time for Brolly, he'll call out and embarrass amateur footballers to gain attention. He's done it for years with the latest being Glass (from what I've heard, I won't listen to the man). There's a very low level of decency there that no other pundit would touch with a barge pole.
And re the final, both starting 15s are well matched, Dublin bench will win them the game

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on July 28, 2023, 02:50:16 PM
Zero time for Brolly, he'll call out and embarrass amateur footballers to gain attention. He's done it for years with the latest being Glass (from what I've heard, I won't listen to the man). There's a very low level of decency there that no other pundit would touch with a barge pole.
And re the final, both starting 15s are well matched, Dublin bench will win them the game

Yeah I know a lot of people have that opinion of brolly. I guess I come from a starting position of always expecting him to be on the wind up, so I never take any of what he says with too much seriousness. When he was on TSG, I always felt he was better than his co-hosts in analysing games and not being afraid to call things as he saw it. I like that, others don't.

I dont think Dublin have been tested really this year and so haven't had that 70 min performance they will need to beat Kerry.
Wouldn't surprise me if Dublin win, but just favour Kerry by maybe 5 or 6.

screenexile

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 28, 2023, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 28, 2023, 02:50:16 PM

Yeah I know a lot of people have that opinion of brolly. I guess I come from a starting position of always expecting him to be on the wind up, so I never take any of what he says with too much seriousness. When he was on TSG, I always felt he was better than his co-hosts in analysing games and not being afraid to call things as he saw it. I like that, others don't.

I dont think Dublin have been tested really this year and so haven't had that 70 min performance they will need to beat Kerry.
Wouldn't surprise me if Dublin win, but just favour Kerry by maybe 5 or 6.

I'd normally be the same and don't mind Brolly for the most part but that article in the Gaelic Life and the subsequent chat on Tomás' podcast seems to be a bit of begrudgery. It's as if he doesn't want us to win. . . if Derry win an All Ireland with lads the calibre of Glass/McKaigue/Rodgers/McGuigan, Brolly might get some competition for his media gigs in the future!!!

restorepride

It is actually Brolly who blows with the wind.  He is the spoilt child who can't handle disappointment so lashes out at players (non-Dungiven ones).  He is also getting increasingly more jealous of the current team.  Joe never won two Ulsters in a row. His attack on Conor Glass at both county and club level is pathetic.  His story about the 93 team before the Ulster final inaccurate. I imagine he will be called out on his rants - hopefully at a Glen match.

JoG2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 06:31:55 PM
People blow with the wind on Brolly. If he says something they agree with they lap him up. If he says something they don't agree with he's an attention seeker not worth listening to.

Utter rubbish

I know of not one single person who likes the personal stuff.
He's maybe still huffed after being shunned at the Clones changing room doors

restorepride

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 08:01:26 PM
Then every now and then he drops a wee dose of reality on free state media about the hardship endured by northern nationalists and we all think he's the bees knees.
Or some Tyrone hoor attacks him and the "he's our cnut" comes out to play.

He's just another person with another opinion.
Hardly just another person given his media profile?!!!  Fairly wide of the mark there!!!!  Hawk-eye not required!  A good analyst never has to stoop to personal attacks in order to provide good analysis but Brolly has done this on a regular basis over the years from his privileged media-perch.  The personal stuff isn't a victimless wee hobby for the Joe-show.  There are families and communities behind these players who deserve better.  Very few in Derry think he's the bees knees and even fewer in Dungiven, I'd imagine, given one of his more recent performances. His recent personal attack on Conor Glass, the Derry Captain, will be remembered.  Disgraceful headline-hunting with easy prey. 

restorepride

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 08:25:20 PM
Jeez, you take him wile serious and elevate him on to a very high perch.

Stopping that would be a good first move.
That is what he has enjoyed (RTÉ) and, unfortunately, still does enjoy (mainly in the printed media).  He is not and never will be "just another person".  Just accept that your statement was inaccurate and you'll be grand!!

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on July 28, 2023, 07:51:13 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 06:31:55 PM
People blow with the wind on Brolly. If he says something they agree with they lap him up. If he says something they don't agree with he's an attention seeker not worth listening to.

Utter rubbish

I know of not one single person who likes the personal stuff.
He's maybe still huffed after being shunned at the Clones changing room doors
+1

Wildweasel74

The point about him, is he's giving out about players going missing in crunch games, without a hint of Irony that he himself went awol in serious big games. But anytime Derry lost, Tohill carried the can, even though he was carrying the team for years.