?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: statto on July 20, 2023, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 20, 2023, 03:18:15 PM
The problem is good underage players of the size necessary to play county football down the line are lost. Harkin the limavady goalkeeper, Curran who played for, Doire Colncille a no. of years ago,  M Collins of Ogra. The bid Derry minor  midfielder from Lissan, a few years ago. These lads are lost after minor, few yrs playing Junior fball and they gone and it's too late to get anything out of them. It's having sthing in place that them and lads who played minor but are on intermediate teams aren't lost providing a wider player pool.

That's not always the case Brendan Donaghy a tremendous servant for Armagh and a top class defender would have played most of his club football at junior/lower intermediate level.  Paddy Burns, Jemar Hall and Stephen Sheridan would have played a lot of junior football/lower intermediate level also.  If a player genuinely has aspirations to be the best they can be they will be.  (Admittedly easier if playing at higher level within professional setup)

Within Armagh currently there are a number of county players playing intermediate, Murnin, Nugent, Mcquillan, Duffy, Woods, Rowland, Conaty.  Mackins x2 & McCabe won intermediate championship last year so have now transitioned to senior level.   

Are there many Derry players involved with intermediate sides?
Niall Loughlin from Greenlough and Lachlan Murray from Desertmartin would be the only 2 intermediate players involved  that i can think off

Will it ever end

Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on July 20, 2023, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: shawshank on July 20, 2023, 10:08:29 AM
Lads I recall being at a meeting on behalf of my club at the time of the Games development strategy and divisional teams were very strongly part of it, whatever happened to it? It was promoted by the County Board, they haven't followed through on it.  I thought it was a excellent idea. Surely getting divisional teams into the senior league for a start and have their games on Wednesdays to allow junior and intermediate teams to play away in their own club league at weekends is a sensibly starting point. Its a decent pathway for developing and exposing players to a higher standard of football?

You want lads to train with their clubs twice a week & play a senior divisional game midweek and a junior / intermediate game at the weekend, along with two competing managers & the fixtures headache that would bring - a complete non runner.

That's the spirit!  :D

The harsh reality of the situation is the vast majority of players who will play for Derry over the next decade will come through the development squad route, if that exceptional junior player or intermediate player is to progress it will through an environment within the county setup their already part of, as opposed to any divisional team playing league football against senior clubs (midweek) who are still playing without their county players for the best part of the league season. The systems within the county are clearly now in place to do that

Wildweasel74

I remember a lad who barely make sub on a Derry Minor team years ago, transferred to a, big Tyrone club  and was playing for Tyrone U-21 the year after at 19, so we were going wrong somewhere.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 20, 2023, 06:12:54 PM
I remember a lad who barely make sub on a Derry Minor team years ago, transferred to a, big Tyrone club  and was playing for Tyrone U-21 the year after at 19, so we were going wrong somewhere.

Who was this?

Red10

Quote from: Will it ever end on July 20, 2023, 05:03:04 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on July 20, 2023, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: shawshank on July 20, 2023, 10:08:29 AM
Lads I recall being at a meeting on behalf of my club at the time of the Games development strategy and divisional teams were very strongly part of it, whatever happened to it? It was promoted by the County Board, they haven't followed through on it.  I thought it was a excellent idea. Surely getting divisional teams into the senior league for a start and have their games on Wednesdays to allow junior and intermediate teams to play away in their own club league at weekends is a sensibly starting point. Its a decent pathway for developing and exposing players to a higher standard of football?

You want lads to train with their clubs twice a week & play a senior divisional game midweek and a junior / intermediate game at the weekend, along with two competing managers & the fixtures headache that would bring - a complete non runner.

That's the spirit!  :D

The harsh reality of the situation is the vast majority of players who will play for Derry over the next decade will come through the development squad route, if that exceptional junior player or intermediate player is to progress it will through an environment within the county setup their already part of, as opposed to any divisional team playing league football against senior clubs (midweek) who are still playing without their county players for the best part of the league season. The systems within the county are clearly now in place to do that

That's the case alright. A lot of those Kerry players have come through their minors since 2014. Clifford is a senior player based on what he did for Kerry minors not a divisional set up. All of the lads who have come into the Derry panel in the last couple of years are from the minor panels of 2015 and after. Few are now going to break into a senior panel if they have not been in that set up since they were 14 or 15..  Someone mentioned before about Devolpment squads and how its not easy to get into those if lads are not from certain clubs. They are already known from club and school games. No doubting they have been successful with 2 minor All Irelands in 3 years but there must be talent being missed if the bulk of it is from two schools and a few of the same clubs. If it's seen as a closed shop players and clubs will not get involved. The.same stuff being said about north Derry had been put forward about Inishowen and they now consistently have 2 or 3 players starting for Donegal that are from Junior and Intermediate clubs.

Derryman forever

What coaching or managerial experience does Johnny mc Bride have?

Sonny Joe

He managed Loup and was hunted from Galbally. anyone know any other teams.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Derryman forever

Did he have any success with loup?
What happened at galbally?

Flanker

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 21, 2023, 12:17:01 PM
Did he not manage Errigal Ciaran to County final the year Dungannon won it

toby47

Managed Loup to a county final too. He was only there a year

Derryman forever

Why was he not there for the 2nd year?

Mikhailov

Quote from: Flanker on July 21, 2023, 12:59:44 PM

Dungannon beat Errigal in semi that year. Mark Harte then took over the reins

Sonny Joe

Quote from: Mikhailov on July 21, 2023, 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: Flanker on July 21, 2023, 12:59:44 PM

Dungannon beat Errigal in semi that year. Mark Harte then took over the reins

I thought it was Trillick that beat Errigal when he was there, and a trimming they took.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ahyewillyewillyewill

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 21, 2023, 07:23:11 AM
What coaching or managerial experience does Johnny mc Bride have?

Why does one ask?
Are you putting the feelers out for your next club manager?

ahyewillyewillyewill

Quote from: harryR on July 19, 2023, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on July 17, 2023, 03:29:46 PM
Not sure how this all fits but north Derry vocational schools players seems to be ignored largely, this may have changed recently. But I remember St Mary's Limavady playing and wining county championships every year under Micky Moran and those lads never got a look in for development squads, never mind minor squads. Whereas counterparts from the big clubs got the call up, I see the reasoning on both side. If they did make the cut it was generally as men to go in an break ball etc. North Derry players I suspect have a higher drop out rate, plenty of things at play here but ultimately playing Junior or bottom intermediate football is quite the commitment at times and you're never going to put on a county jersey.

There should be acceptance that the Derry Senior set up is basically 100% South Derry, its the elephant in the room.

The implementation of Kerry style model e.g. David Clifford aka East Kerry for North Derry could be something to consider. It may sound ridiculous but they basically need an All-Star North Derry entered into the Senior championship, how would they do, hard to know? But it may give confidence to North Derry, additional support into the club game, something for players to aspire to and show there skills against the best. Or they just continue to ignore the Elephant.

Problem with this, is if the best 15 north Derry players where put in a team (from what I've saw) it would have a few dungiven players, a few steelstown players and mostly alot of Coleraine players. These teams are all already playing senior football so would be ineligible

I don't believe these manufactured teams are the way to go, there are a few hurling teams around the north made up like this and I guarantee you have never heard of them as they have not made the breakthrough to win anything.

Derry Senior County team will always be strong if:
1. The South Derry teams are strong.
2. The South Derry teams continue to hate each other.

This is what we had in 93 and this is what we have today.....

And as yer man said, once you go by Dungiven the North Derry boys are too fond of the nite out...