Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

quit yo jibbajabba

All clubs have theirs Derryman and a few will have them posted on their socials. Had a quick look round derry website and couldnt find a master set sorry. First round seems to be 5/6 Aug, Derry website fixtures will be better closer the time

ck

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on July 18, 2023, 02:35:13 PM
Will Gallagher stay on though? Hard to believe he hadn't influenced still in that set up. His cousin became very prominent anyway along the sidelines the past few months . Think current management should be well entitled to keep work they are doing going. If Gallagher is gone next year will be the real test for them when starting off from the start on their own.

Have i missed something?
Is Gallagher not gone before the ulster Final?

Of course he's gone. Silly talk to suggest that he'll be back and I doubt very much he'll ever be allowed near a GAA dressing room again.

Will Ciaran Meenagh stay? Will he have the backing of the players? Hearing that Malachy O'Rourke has been sounded out. Watch this space.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 19, 2023, 01:42:43 PM
All clubs have theirs Derryman and a few will have them posted on their socials. Had a quick look round derry website and couldnt find a master set sorry. First round seems to be 5/6 Aug, Derry website fixtures will be better closer the time

https://www.gaeliclife.com/counties/derry/derry-club-football/derry-senior-football-championship-fixtures-announced/

Big Mal comes good

Derryman forever

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 19, 2023, 02:03:03 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 19, 2023, 01:42:43 PM

https://www.gaeliclife.com/counties/derry/derry-club-football/derry-senior-football-championship-fixtures-announced/

Big Mal comes good

Thank you for that.
Much appreciated

Derryman forever

Quote from: ck on July 19, 2023, 01:52:24 PM
Will Gallagher stay on though? Hard to believe he hadn't influenced still in that set up. His cousin became very prominent anyway along the sidelines the past few months . Think current management should be well entitled to keep work they are doing going. If Gallagher is gone next year will be the real test for them when starting off from the start on their own.

Have i missed something?

Of course he's gone. Silly talk to suggest that he'll be back and I doubt very much he'll ever be allowed near a GAA dressing room again.

Will Ciaran Meenagh stay? Will he have the backing of the players? Hearing that Malachy O'Rourke has been sounded out. Watch this space.
I'd imagine Malachy has unfinished business at Glen.

seanyb

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 19, 2023, 02:11:38 PM

Have i missed something?

Surely the Derry job if it became available would be one of the most sought after for a manager at the present time? Couldn't see an appointment being made from within...MOR the ideal candidate if Meenagh stepped aside

Derryman forever

Meenagh has been the continuous thread through Derry's current growth. I do hope the decision is entirely his together with the players to  go or stay.

tbrick18

Quote from: seanyb on July 19, 2023, 02:18:18 PM

Have i missed something?

Surely the Derry job if it became available would be one of the most sought after for a manager at the present time? Couldn't see an appointment being made from within...MOR the ideal candidate if Meenagh stepped aside

Personally, I think if MOR comes in, we'd want to retain Meenagh as part of the backroom team too.
That keeps things consistent and also allows for progression.
I'd have no issue with Meenagh staying on as is though, he deserves the chance. I like is attitude and he obviously knows what he's at.
It's hard to know if he'd want the role full time though or even if he'd want to work with MOR.

I think given the opportunity, MOR would jump ship to Derry.
Glen wouldn't be happy I imagine. But from a Derry perspective, it might entice the likes of Emmett Bradley back into the fold along with Tallon or any others from Glen who have currently been off the panel for various reasons.

We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

OakLeaf

True, but even if Glen go all the way that'll be finished in January, just before the leagues start. Still time for him to join Derry

harryR

Quote from: DoireGael on July 17, 2023, 03:29:46 PM
Not sure how this all fits but north Derry vocational schools players seems to be ignored largely, this may have changed recently. But I remember St Mary's Limavady playing and wining county championships every year under Micky Moran and those lads never got a look in for development squads, never mind minor squads. Whereas counterparts from the big clubs got the call up, I see the reasoning on both side. If they did make the cut it was generally as men to go in an break ball etc. North Derry players I suspect have a higher drop out rate, plenty of things at play here but ultimately playing Junior or bottom intermediate football is quite the commitment at times and you're never going to put on a county jersey.

There should be acceptance that the Derry Senior set up is basically 100% South Derry, its the elephant in the room.

The implementation of Kerry style model e.g. David Clifford aka East Kerry for North Derry could be something to consider. It may sound ridiculous but they basically need an All-Star North Derry entered into the Senior championship, how would they do, hard to know? But it may give confidence to North Derry, additional support into the club game, something for players to aspire to and show there skills against the best. Or they just continue to ignore the Elephant.

Problem with this, is if the best 15 north Derry players where put in a team (from what I've saw) it would have a few dungiven players, a few steelstown players and mostly alot of Coleraine players. These teams are all already playing senior football so would be ineligible

Silver hill

If it was a north Derry divisional team, it would be made up of intermediate and junior clubs, as those 3 named by you would be playing in the senior championship in their own right.

Silver hill

It's not a bad idea actually as it does give players from lower divisions a chance to showcase themselves on a bigger stage. The administration of such. Team might be problematic though.....who manages them for a start?
A Foreglen manager might not be acceptable to Faughanvale, slaughtmanus, magilligan, Claudy or craigbane say.

Brendan

Too many boys in North Derry too fond of the drink and soccer to put in the commitment required for the clubs to really push on

Silver hill

Quote from: Brendan on July 19, 2023, 08:09:18 PM
Too many boys in North Derry too fond of the drink and soccer to put in the commitment required for the clubs to really push on

You could say that about any town or village in Ireland. Lazy stereotype

Brendan

Quote from: Silver hill on July 19, 2023, 10:37:55 PM
Quote from: Brendan on July 19, 2023, 08:09:18 PM

You could say that about any town or village in Ireland. Lazy stereotype

Is there many lads in Slaughtneil or Glen going on the piss the night before a championship match? Happens regularly in my own club and surrounding ones