?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on April 14, 2023, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: Red10 on April 14, 2023, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: NotedObserver on April 13, 2023, 09:48:40 PM
Quote from: Red10 on April 13, 2023, 09:40:03 PM
Just not right that a man who has left the panel last year and hasn't been there all this year comes straight into the squad before others. So much for having to earn your place by what you do for your club and in training.

Based on the team named who has dropped off the 26

McWilliams, Baker, Johnston, M Doherty  plus anyone else playing for clubs who thinks there is fair and equal chance to get picked for a county set up. That's even putting aside what the man got up to in the States which shouldn't be just forgotten about.

So to summarise, football, esp county football is a ruthless business. Surely no-one is being forced to be @ Owenbeg training? Maybe those there, on the periphery can see the benefits / bigger picture?

Can they play for their clubs?

toby47

Can't see both Glass and Chrissy starting. Glass nipped his hamstring 2 weeks ago & Chrissy fractured his ankle vs Cork 3 weeks ago.

Should have enough to beat a Fermanagh side missing Sean Quigley even if without Chrissy & Glass.

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on April 14, 2023, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: Red10 on April 14, 2023, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: NotedObserver on April 13, 2023, 09:48:40 PM
Quote from: Red10 on April 13, 2023, 09:40:03 PM
Just not right that a man who has left the panel last year and hasn't been there all this year comes straight into the squad before others. So much for having to earn your place by what you do for your club and in training.

Based on the team named who has dropped off the 26

McWilliams, Baker, Johnston, M Doherty  plus anyone else playing for clubs who thinks there is fair and equal chance to get picked for a county set up. That's even putting aside what the man got up to in the States which shouldn't be just forgotten about.

So to summarise, football, esp county football is a ruthless business. Surely no-one is being forced to be @ Owenbeg training? Maybe those there, on the periphery can see the benefits / bigger picture?

Yeah this is the norm for county football.
Management have to choose the 26 they feel will give them the best chance of succeeding.
They also have to try to keep those outside the 26 happy. Not an easy task in any side, but it's certainly not the first time something like this has happened and won't be the last.
I remember Stephen O'Neill returning to Tyrone mid-way through a season and helping them to an AI win. Someone had to drop out of the 26 there, but it worked for them.
Could work for us too, only time will tell.
I do feel for McWilliams though, I thought he acquitted himself well all year and had a real impact off the bench. He was particularly effective against the Dubs in Celtic park.

For what it's worth, we should have too much for Fermanagh, but we can't be complacent.
I'd expected Mayo and Cork to both win last week and both were beaten. So you just never know.

Rawhide

I would expect to see a few players walk after the weekend if McFaul gets game time. Simply wrong, booted off the panel due to his toxic behaviour and went to the states. What he did there is irrelevant. To make a comparison to the SON situation is funny farm stuff.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rawhide on April 14, 2023, 06:07:01 PM
I would expect to see a few players walk after the weekend if McFaul gets game time. Simply wrong, booted off the panel due to his toxic behaviour and went to the states. What he did there is irrelevant. To make a comparison to the SON situation is funny farm stuff.

Lay off the pills Rawhide. Ciaran soldiered with Derry for years. Great to have him back!

Rawhide

Its only grt for u, as you and he are from Glen.  Imagine training your bollix over the past 14 months to see McFaul play tomorrow. I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't be on the panel, we need all our best players available. But there's a way of doing things and hopefully Gallagher has a bit of sense and manages it properly. Having McFaul fit for the round robin is more important than ten minutes tomorrow and the potential unrest it could bring.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rawhide on April 14, 2023, 06:52:50 PM
Its only grt for u, as you and he are from Glen.  Imagine training your bollix over the past 14 months to see McFaul play tomorrow. I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't be on the panel, we need all our best players available. But there's a way of doing things and hopefully Gallagher has a bit of sense and manages it properly. Having McFaul fit for the round robin is more important than ten minutes tomorrow and the potential unrest it could bring.

How do you know it will bring unrest? If Gallagher and the senior players in the squad want him then it's their call. As for fringe players being upset, well RG sticks to his tried and tested. Assuming Ciaran is the basis for discontent is wide of the mark IMO.

screenexile

I find it hard to believe it wasn't talked about within the setup before he came back.

I can't see there being much of an issue at all... this is County Football and while it's great to have these ideals and morals around the game top level sport is ruthless and if one of the best players in the county is available and willing to do what is necessary then he should be there.

We are going well but not exactly in the position where we can just turn down the services of a player like McFaul.

BackInTheGame

Concerning that we seem to defend like an under 13 team the minute Conor Glass leaves the field.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: BackInTheGame on April 15, 2023, 07:01:26 PM
Concerning that we seem to defend like an under 13 team the minute Conor Glass leaves the field.

Same happened against the dubs, goals started flowing
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2023, 09:23:30 PM
I find it hard to believe it wasn't talked about within the setup before he came back.

I can't see there being much of an issue at all... this is County Football and while it's great to have these ideals and morals around the game top level sport is ruthless and if one of the best players in the county is available and willing to do what is necessary then he should be there.

We are going well but not exactly in the position where we can just turn down the services of a player like McFaul.

100%
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BackInTheGame

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 15, 2023, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: BackInTheGame on April 15, 2023, 07:01:26 PM

Same happened against the dubs, goals started flowing
Exactly.  Once can be a coincidence, twice is a problem.

Red10

I know people turn a blind eye to stuff due the success he has brought but Gallagher's carry on along the line is real arsehole stuff. Roaring down the line towards the opposing dug out especially when up against his own home county. 

honthecounty

Easy enough win today they couldn't deal with the movement of Derry. As weird an atmosphere for an ulster championship game as I can remember outside and inside the ground - felt nothing more than a league game there was no buzz about it at all. Building

JoG2

Quote from: honthecounty on April 15, 2023, 09:56:07 PM
Easy enough win today they couldn't deal with the movement of Derry. As weird an atmosphere for an ulster championship game as I can remember outside and inside the ground - felt nothing more than a league game there was no buzz about it at all. Building

It was. Fermanagh really needed to bring the war to Derry today and outside of a few, the Cullens (serious warriors), Jones and Kelm. Those guys put in a serious shift. McGuigan will be sore tomorrow. But Fermanagh needed the rest of the team to step up the way these boys did, play right on the edge, fight for everything ie championship football.
2 weeks time will be day and night compared to today. We need to keep everyone fit. McFaul performed at training like he's never been away apparently. Be interesting to see what game time, if any he gets next time out.
Some fine performances today, but Tad was super, great game