?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2023, 09:00:27 PM
Minors badly threw that game away the day, Should won by 7 or 8 pts. Too much messing around in the periods if the game when we were on top.
Hopefully this painful lesson will stand them to good stead later on the season , anyone stand out for you on the Derry team

Wildweasel74

McGuckin was their best player first Half, Rodgers from Kilrea seems good, plus Sargent from Lavey?. In general they played rightly but should had least 1/2 goals on top of missing the penalty which would finished the game. It's hard to judge at this level as you can have a big 17, and a small 16yr old still to develop.

Derry Optimist

When properly analysing yesterday's game against Dublin  all Derry supporters and indeed management team need to go no further than replay Peter Canavan's excellent and accurate summary of the game itself on the  League Sunday programme last night and Cathair O'Kane's equally pertinent observations in today's Irish News.

For the successful implementation of any team system one has to depend on the performance and availability of certain key players. Derry's seven  key players, in my opinion, are Chrissy McKaigue, Conor McCluskey, Padraig McGrogan,Conor Glass, Brendan Rogers, Ethan Doherty and Shane McGuigan.The most important of these seven is Conor Glass  because he links, covers back nd co-ordinates all defensive and offensive movements.

Yesterday Chrissy was absent, Conor Glass was gone for most of the second half and was actually injured when the first goal,  which was actually a square ball, was scored. In addition because of the enforced absence of Eoin McEvoy, Derry had to withdraw Ethan Doherty from the forward line to the half back line. This meant that a vital cog in Derry's attacking movement was missing. Thus two of the seven  key players were absent for the whole of the second half and a third had to play a different role.

So it was no wonder that Derry were not able to play their normal well structured game. Of course Derry would be  a much better team if we had two more skilful inside pacy  forwards who could break tackles and score at will off either foot! But most counties do not possess these endangered species of players and to the best of my knowledge Derry have no one yet in the county of that ilk. Instead of going for low percentage goal shots yesterday as we did on four occasions and similarly attempts for points from poor positions, might I suggest that Paul Cassidy who admittedly can play anywhere be given a more forward attacking role off the left hand side and that Niall Loughlin who can score from distance be switched out to a more traditional half forward role. He puts in tremendous defensive shifts so I think that if he was brought out the field on a more permanent basis it would give him the opportunity to score from further out and boost his confidence.

Finally it is good to have Ciaran McFaul back and his inclusion into the squad should be a huge plus.If I were Rory Gallager I would be knocking on the door of a few other Glen players, especially Emmett Bradley who did such trojan work last year. Hopefully Conor Glass recovers fully and quickly and that Rory Gallagher has a full hand and more to pick from for the Fermanagh championship game next Saturday week. Doire Abú.

5times5times

We've rode our luck with injuries all year, when you compare to the major players in Div, inc Dub.

BackInTheGame

The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubricated.

ck

Quote from: 5times5times on April 03, 2023, 02:40:25 PM
We've rode our luck with injuries all year, when you compare to the major players in Div, inc Dub.

When you start players in the NFL a week after an All-Ireland club final then injuries are inevitable, in time. Conor Glass and Ethan Doherty look tired to me and yesterdays hamstring inj was always going to come.

lenny

Quote from: Derry Optimist on April 03, 2023, 02:25:01 PM
When properly analysing yesterday's game against Dublin  all Derry supporters and indeed management team need to go no further than replay Peter Canavan's excellent and accurate summary of the game itself on the  League Sunday programme last night and Cathair O'Kane's equally pertinent observations in today's Irish News.

For the successful implementation of any team system one has to depend on the performance and availability of certain key players. Derry's seven  key players, in my opinion, are Chrissy McKaigue, Conor McCluskey, Padraig McGrogan,Conor Glass, Brendan Rogers, Ethan Doherty and Shane McGuigan.The most important of these seven is Conor Glass  because he links, covers back nd co-ordinates all defensive and offensive movements.

Yesterday Chrissy was absent, Conor Glass was gone for most of the second half and was actually injured when the first goal,  which was actually a square ball, was scored. In addition because of the enforced absence of Eoin McEvoy, Derry had to withdraw Ethan Doherty from the forward line to the half back line. This meant that a vital cog in Derry's attacking movement was missing. Thus two of the seven  key players were absent for the whole of the second half and a third had to play a different role.

So it was no wonder that Derry were not able to play their normal well structured game. Of course Derry would be  a much better team if we had two more skilful inside pacy  forwards who could break tackles and score at will off either foot! But most counties do not possess these endangered species of players and to the best of my knowledge Derry have no one yet in the county of that ilk. Instead of going for low percentage goal shots yesterday as we did on four occasions and similarly attempts for points from poor positions, might I suggest that Paul Cassidy who admittedly can play anywhere be given a more forward attacking role off the left hand side and that Niall Loughlin who can score from distance be switched out to a more traditional half forward role. He puts in tremendous defensive shifts so I think that if he was brought out the field on a more permanent basis it would give him the opportunity to score from further out and boost his confidence.

Finally it is good to have Ciaran McFaul back and his inclusion into the squad should be a huge plus.If I were Rory Gallager I would be knocking on the door of a few other Glen players, especially Emmett Bradley who did such trojan work last year. Hopefully Conor Glass recovers fully and quickly and that Rory Gallagher has a full hand and more to pick from for the Fermanagh championship game next Saturday week. Doire Abú.

Whatever happens for the rest of the year the biggest target of getting promoted has been achieved and with a game to spare. Anything else will probably be a bonus but it would be great to reach an AI quarter final at least. Everyone knows we have a small panel and now with injuries kicking in we may struggle in the Ulster championship. I think we'll have to field an inexperienced team against fermanagh with a view to having main players like glass and mckaigue ready for the group stages of the AI. That isn't to take Fermanagh lightly but the games come thick and fast later on and an injury then could see someone missing 3 or 4 games in a few weeks.

Wildweasel74

But why should we have a small panel, Derry minor panel on sat there was 35. Why did Mcgoldrick never come bck. One of those Kearney from Swatragh was fairly good (Don't know which picked up the 2yr suspension) The other McWillians has potential too. There has to be better forward in the county than a lad coming into the forward line (think still at school?) He be a good player but he's not ready yet.

Wildweasel74

Watching some highlights there, how was the first Dublin goal given, lad was standing in the square before even the keeper came bck into the small square. And the penalty about the softest penalty given in along time, I wouldn't even have given a free.

Derry Optimist

Wildweasel 74's comment regarding Derry having a small panel is correct as is his statement that Patrick Kearney,  Lorcan McWilliams , Liam McGoldrick and others presumably like Jack Doherty especially are good enough to be on the current panel. However to the best of my knowledge all of the above were originally on the panel but were not willing to give the necessary commitment and left voluntarily. Therefore one cannot blame anyone including Rory Gallagher for that scenario.

Keyser soze

FS it is unbelievable the calibre of people who class themselves as big Derry fans.

On a public forum asking why McGoldrick hasn't rejoined the panel....tell me you know f**k all about Derry GAA without telling me you know f**k all about Derry GAA.

toby47

u20 game moved to Saturday. Derry's 5 x u20's will be able to play the senior championship match vs Fermanagh

marty34

Quote from: toby47 on April 04, 2023, 11:00:07 AM
u20 game moved to Saturday. Derry's 5 x u20's will be able to play the senior championship match vs Fermanagh

Good call.

seanyb

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 04, 2023, 09:52:52 AM
FS it is unbelievable the calibre of people who class themselves as big Derry fans.

On a public forum asking why McGoldrick hasn't rejoined the panel....tell me you know f**k all about Derry GAA without telling me you know f**k all about Derry GAA.

+1

harryR

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 04, 2023, 09:52:52 AM

+2