10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Red10 on February 08, 2023, 09:50:46 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 07, 2023, 07:26:37 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2023, 10:14:46 PM
Were poor in general, too much going sideways with both teams playing 15 inside the 45, unlike the last day were we tried to push up more. Very tight pitch, barely won a broke ball yesterday, guys go to fist a ball with no understanding from Derry players where its been fisted too. When McGuigan double marked we don't have any real options to take on the scoring, get 2/3 men injured and we be in trouble, Bench nowhere near strong enough for the best 26 on the county.

Current Ulster Champions, its Feb, we're unbeaten in the league... You're a hard man to please WW!  ;D

To push on to the next level the squad needs to be stronger. Derry are not pulling in from all the clubs like our neighbours. Donegal have lads from Intermediate and Junior making an impact.

Rubbish narrative! That's like saying there's a South Derry bias on the team. I'm sure you could make an argument for one or two intermediate players who aren't on the panel but could name far more deserving senior club players. Nonsense.

Derry Optimist

Re  several comments by some Posters that not all of Derry's best players are on the current panel that is technically correct but all of the best  players who want to play for the County are on the panel. That is the same in every County every year

Nevertheless, it must be said that Rory Gallagher has really maximised the talent available to him. One could make a strong case for the inclusion of Jack Doherty, Danny Tallon, Michael McEvoy, Patrick Kearney, Lorcan McWilliams and Karl McKaigue, especially the first two. However, the first five left previous panels of their own volition and Karl it appears is not available and apparently Emmett Bradley now also falls into the latter category.

True, it would be ideal if we could unearth another outstanding midfielder, a commanding central defensive player and  two brillianlt scoring forwards who could win their own ball and score with either foot but I  am afraid they do not exist in the County in any division.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 09, 2023, 02:02:11 PM
  Re  several comments by some Posters that not all of Derry's best players are on the current panel that is technically correct but all of the best  players who want to play for the County are on the panel. That is the same in every County every year

Nevertheless, it must be said that Rory Gallagher has really maximised the talent available to him. One could make a strong case for the inclusion of Jack Doherty, Danny Tallon, Michael McEvoy, Patrick Kearney, Lorcan McWilliams and Karl McKaigue, especially the first two. However, the first five left previous panels of their own volition and Karl it appears is not available and apparently Emmett Bradley now also falls into the latter category.

True, it would be ideal if we could unearth another outstanding midfielder, a commanding central defensive player and  two brillianlt scoring forwards who could win their own ball and score with either foot but I  am afraid they do not exist in the County in any division.
Have to agree with the need for another midfielder but nobody springs to mind. McWilliams maybe? That said I dont think theres any shortage of solid central defensive players on the current panel. Few lads making a name for themselves as of late. Same story up front. Toner seems to be in super form at the moment and looks like Lachlan Murray will come good too.

harryR

Liam mcgoldrick, Paddy Coney, Terence O'Brien, Kevin farren, Neil mcnicholl and Colm mcgoldrick could all do a job in the current panel imho

lenny

Quote from: jmcgdoire on February 09, 2023, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 09, 2023, 02:02:11 PM

Have to agree with the need for another midfielder but nobody springs to mind. McWilliams maybe? That said I dont think theres any shortage of solid central defensive players on the current panel. Few lads making a name for themselves as of late. Same story up front. Toner seems to be in super form at the moment and looks like Lachlan Murray will come good too.

Dan Higgins would push for a starting spot if he was there. He was a standout in the Sigerson. Most of the others mentioned would possibly add to the squad but are behind others for starting spots.

Wildweasel74

I expect Dan Higgins to push for a spot in the nxt couple of years, he still U-20.

Red10

Quote from: jmcgdoire on February 09, 2023, 06:42:12 AM
Were poor in general, too much going sideways with both teams playing 15 inside the 45, unlike the last day were we tried to push up more. Very tight pitch, barely won a broke ball yesterday, guys go to fist a ball with no understanding from Derry players where its been fisted too. When McGuigan double marked we don't have any real options to take on the scoring, get 2/3 men injured and we be in trouble, Bench nowhere near strong enough for the best 26 on the county.

Current Ulster Champions, its Feb, we're unbeaten in the league... You're a hard man to please WW!  ;D

To push on to the next level the squad needs to be stronger. Derry are not pulling in from all the clubs like our neighbours. Donegal have lads from Intermediate and Junior making an impact.

Rubbish narrative! That's like saying there's a South Derry bias on the team. I'm sure you could make an argument for one or two intermediate players who aren't on the panel but could name far more deserving senior club players. Nonsense.

Yeah whatever you think yourself. There's at least a couple on the panel that are there because of their clubs and the surnames. Go and ask North Derry clubs what they think of the South Derry bias.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Red10 on February 10, 2023, 08:58:26 AM

Yeah whatever you think yourself. There's at least a couple on the panel that are there because of their clubs and the surnames. Go and ask North Derry clubs what they think of the South Derry bias.

I won't argue that there are a few lads on the panel with the right surname but I don't believe for a second that Rory Gallagher picks a fifteen based on anything but merit and what they can bring to the team.

As for your South Derry bias comment, I have no doubt the North Derry boys tell themselves there's bias. But I believe that is rubbish! It's disingenuous to suggest that there exists (even a small) faction of players that are good enough to be on the county panel but have been overlooked because they're from Drum, Faughnavale, etc.

quit yo jibbajabba

I wish someone would name these superstars

Neil McNicholl is a good shout from earlier, feel free to add and hopefully Rory is reading 😊

harryR

Quote from: jmcgdoire on February 10, 2023, 11:01:28 AM
Quote from: Red10 on February 10, 2023, 08:58:26 AM

I won't argue that there are a few lads on the panel with the right surname but I don't believe for a second that Rory Gallagher picks a fifteen based on anything but merit and what they can bring to the team.

As for your South Derry bias comment, I have no doubt the North Derry boys tell themselves there's bias. But I believe that is rubbish! It's disingenuous to suggest that there exists (even a small) faction of players that are good enough to be on the county panel but have been overlooked because they're from Drum, Faughnavale, etc.

Coleraine, dungiven, Scotstown and banagher probably the strongest north Derry teams. Other than the players already on panel, who realistically is good enough to be named? Obviously players like mark lynch, Sean Leo, Neil Forrester etc have all played and just too old now

oakleaflad

I see the U20's play tomorrow. Anyone know the squad for it or does it get published?

Cluborcountywhynotboth

I don't think there is a south Derry bias, the best players just are from south Derry at senior level. But there is certainly as issue around player development. The very definition of development is making areas that aren't strong, stronger, yet Derrys whole 'development plan' is about keeping the strong areas strong (and steelstown/the city). A GPO for each of the big south Derry schools and yet only two for the whole of north Derry I believe, outside the city. Surely that should be the other way around if you want to 'develop the whole county'. Also at development squad and underage level there are certainly more opportunities given to players based on their club and their name, this keeps them around stronger players when developing and in turn makes them better, meaning when they get to senior level the majority are still from these usual clubs. Obviously  lathe clubs named like Drum, Faughanvale  etc...certainly don't produce the number of quality players that other clubs do, however it's not false to say that the players they do produce have to work a whole lot harder to get opportunities than lesser players with the right name or from a historic club.

tbrick18

Lads what's the story with mckinless? Is he injured?

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 19, 2023, 08:49:51 PM

Hamstring Brick... Hopefully back for Newbridge

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on February 19, 2023, 10:20:18 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on February 19, 2023, 08:49:51 PM

Hamstring Brick... Hopefully back for Newbridge

Cheers chap.

Very positive performance from Derry against Meath, a definite improvement from the last game.
Fixtures have been kind to us and give us that ability to ramp up to the more difficult games with Dublin, Cork etc.
If we can keep improving I think we are on course for promotion (hope that doesn't come back to bite me). We're strong all over the pitch now. Rogers to MF has been a really good move and he was close to MOTM against Meath.
McGrogan played really well. Couldn't really fault anyone and the spread of scores was good to see.
In saying that, Meath were poor and their tactics were totally wrong. O'Rourke's high ball to the square was just gobbled up and that was all they had. Their goal was good, but we were without mckaigue at the time and there had just been a bit of a reshuffle to accomodate so we can forgive that.
It'll be good to get Mckinless back.
We've got a strong enough panel with players who can slot into multiple positions so I think we're in good shape.