Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Derry Optimist

Just after watching a brilliant cameo of one of Derry's greatest and definitely one of Ulster's most courageous - ever goalkeepers, Patsy Gormley who has just passed on. May he Rest in Peace.The Claudy man was  a pioneer during his era of always taking the kick out. Up to that time very often  one of the full back line was entrusted with the kick outs. For a man who only had full vision in one eye, he had a great sense of anticipation and wonderful positioning skills.The cameo is taken from  film footage of the 1958 All Ireland final between Dublin and  Derry.

Having enjoyed Derry's many superb performances in winning the Ulster final this year and the forwards showing such enterprising play against Clare in the quarter final, I was very hopeful of Derry going a step better next year, provided  two presently talented exiled players would be available to the management.

Now with that possibility being exceedingly doubtful, it would appear that we will have to unearth more new middle third high - catching ball winners and scoring,ball-winning  forwards in this year's club championship if our ultimate dream is to become a reality.Have any posters seen such talent in any of the games in the group stages?

Champion The Wonder Horse

It's fairly shite when the optimist isn't, well, optimistic.

quit yo jibbajabba

Derry shit for years, the Optimist was always optimistic

Derry win Ulster. Optimist is pessimistic

I give up 😉

Wildweasel74

I think he saying the early rounds  of championship have showed we got f**k all outstanding forwards to push Derry on nxt Yr,  but  Derry club fball set up defensive  these days maybe a bigger reason.

quit yo jibbajabba

Man was hopeful Derry would go further next year. Id say most of us be sayin Derry being Ulster Champs/All Ireland Semis might be not far off as good as it gets..

Man says if two boys came back, McFauls one obvs, whos the other

Wildweasel74

I be looking to bring bck O'brien and Bell but I say the heavy training would not see them making the cut. Lorcan McWillians I have abit hope for,  plus ask Tallon bck, Always rated the Kearney twins but I didn't see either on for Swatragh. this weather, maybe one give up after the long suspension. Elsewhere,  very little upfront, lad Bateson from Magherafelt could be good in a few yrs. In defence  I ask bck Johnson, L Mcgoldrick, C McGrogan. Panel def needs strengthen from last Yr,  we were bare thin on the bench with u-20's.

Will it ever end

Weasel - Ryan Bell / Terence O Brien / Kevin Johnson / Danny Tallon - what's the definition of madness again, do the same thing over and over again to expect a different result?

Anton Tohill & Dan Higgins have both had strong starts to their respective club championships in midfield, a real test for Tohill up next against Glen but certainly proving to date a major boost for Swatragh.

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 26, 2022, 11:39:15 PM
Man was hopeful Derry would go further next year. Id say most of us be sayin Derry being Ulster Champs/All Ireland Semis might be not far off as good as it gets..

I'd say Callum Brown is the other one.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 27, 2022, 08:57:53 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 26, 2022, 11:39:15 PM

I'd say Callum Brown is the other one.

Ah yes. 2 fine additions but both unlikely id say eh..

ONeill

Can see Slaughtneil doing the decent thing and taking it easy against Swatragh.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2022, 04:15:13 PM
Can see Slaughtneil doing the decent thing and taking it easy against Swatragh.

35 points instead of 50?

oneclubonelife

Rumour about that Dungiven are going to take it easy on screen,even maybe get beat, so they would play Slaughtneil in the semifinal next week and not possibly maybe in the final in  4 weeks times when the Slaughneil  injured players may have returned

Link

Quote from: oneclubonelife on August 27, 2022, 07:22:09 PM
Rumour about that Dungiven are going to take it easy on screen,even maybe get beat, so they would play Slaughtneil in the semifinal next week and not possibly maybe in the final in  4 weeks times when the Slaughneil  injured players may have returned

Ok Mickey 👍

Man Marker

Did Geoffrey get a long suspension following his incident with the linesman after the Dungiven/Bellaghy game?

Derry Optimist

I would like to congratulate all of the seven Derry players who have received All-Star nominations.Each of them is fully deserving of this honour. I think that we have to go back to 1993 to find a greater number of players nominated.

Seeing that we won the All - Ireland that year, the present total is indicative of the new high esteem in which Derry football is held. All players and the management team, under the astute leadership of Rory Gallagher, have contributed immensely to this upturn in the fortunes of Derry football.

In addition it is a wonderful tribute to Ethan Doherty to see that he has also been nominated as Young Player of the Year. Giving that the latter award is voted on by only the current inter county panels it must help Ethan's chance of deservedly achieving the highest accolade of all. He is the essence of an ideal team player who always knows when to take a man on or give an astute pass. The number of telling "assists" that he made in every game was truly immense and decisive in many cases.Doire AbĂș.