10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 03, 2022, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2022, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 03, 2022, 10:27:13 AM
I think it wad Division 2 but I definitely  remember Derry playing Cork in the hurling league at Lavey about 88/89 , McGilligan , Scullion and McGurk in addition to the Downeys would also have been very good hurlers from the 93 AI team

I was at that game in Lavey

Was at it too, very close game. Would have sworn it was div 1. There was a line going round at that time that Niall Mullan was the only man ever to play in all four divisions of the NHL.

Think I remember a game against Kilkenny in ballinascreen too.

Niall tough nut ,played against Offaly in quarter final 2000, could have won that day. Derrys best ever performance

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

10 of Derrys 19 football all stars played hurling also

restorepride

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 03, 2022, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: restorepride on June 03, 2022, 01:28:15 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 03, 2022, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2022, 01:24:44 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 03, 2022, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2022, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 03, 2022, 10:27:13 AM
I think it wad Division 2 but I definitely  remember Derry playing Cork in the hurling league at Lavey about 88/89 , McGilligan , Scullion and McGurk in addition to the Downeys would also have been very good hurlers from the 93 AI team

I was at that game in Lavey

Was at it too, very close game. Would have sworn it was div 1. There was a line going round at that time that Niall Mullan was the only man ever to play in all four divisions of the NHL.

Think I remember a game against Kilkenny in ballinascreen too.

Think that was U21s??

Probably.

Trivia question. Who are the two Derry men who won football All-Stars and ulster senior hurling medals?
Kieran McKeever and Tony Scullion?
Lockhart.
McKeever is a definite, I think. If not Scullion, Johnny McGurk?

screenexile

Nope!!

Kevin McCloy and McKeever!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2022, 02:05:33 PM
Nope!!

Good man. Nearly everyone forgets about Kevin McCloy.

Franko

Quote from: onefineday on June 03, 2022, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 31, 2022, 03:24:20 PM
Quote from: shawshank on May 31, 2022, 10:06:37 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 31, 2022, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: restorepride on May 30, 2022, 11:41:57 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 30, 2022, 11:32:31 PM
Is Brendan Rogers the best footballer and hurler in Ulster and has that ever happened before?
Yes and not sure - but I know that in the 1970s (1975/76?), Peter Stevenson played Railway Cup Football and Hurling for Ulster on the same weekend or the same day!! Rogers on a different level though and the fact that he plays defence in football but attack in hurling adds to his exceptional versatility. Some pup!

Unbelievable athlete, the Downeys and Mckeevers, etc are other good examples but I think Rogers surpasses them all for being at the top in both codes, and such a humble likable character. I ran into Damper there few years back in Birr

its an interesting debate, being a top player in an excellent club team in hurling against being a top player in a county hurling team, which Mc Keever and Downey were. Derry beat Antrim to win the Ulster and then put in a fantastic performance at the All Ireland semifinal stage. Derry would get beat out the gate if they played Antrim in hurling now. You see the problem, judging how you play at club level is very different to judging them on the inter county stage especially judging them in an All Ireland semi-final in Croke park.

Downey never played in any of Derry's Ulster winning teams.  I'm not sure if he ever lined out for Derry at all when they were playing Div. 1 hurling.

McKeever on the other hand was some operator, but possibly more of a master of the darker arts than the finer ones!
Fairly sure Derry never played div 1 hurling, did play/survive in d2 for a year though. That's when d2 was the second tier of 8 teams.
Pretty sure they never played an all Ireland semi either, it was a quarter Vs Offaly you're thinking of, got an awful hammering the next year Vs Galway. That aside, the Downey's didn't play county hurling when Derry were winning ulsters. McKeever came back when his football career was coming to an end. A fair few of that 93 team were handy hurlers, but they committed to football.

They 100% did - for 2 years in the early noughties

It was Div 1B - when the divisions were split evenly.

Played home games against Cork, Tipp and Kilkenny (reigning AI champs?) in 2001 I think

Beat Laois the first year to stay up

Then got relegated after the second year

Franko

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 03, 2022, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2022, 02:05:33 PM
Nope!!

Good man. Nearly everyone forgets about Kevin McCloy.

As did I. That's 11 from 19 football all stars were dual.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2022, 01:41:18 PM
10 of Derrys 19 football all stars played hurling also

Enda Gormley player midfield on the first Maghera teams to win the Foresters and Mageean Cups.

Anthony Tohill played chf in the 1989 Derry intermediate hurling final; he played in Mageean finals too.

imtommygunn

Brolly has held a hurl too though maybe to you are counting him

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2022, 05:15:48 PM

Yeah I had brolly, Lockhart,2 mcgurks, Downey, McGilligan, McKeever, damper , Mc cloy and Scullion . Some played a lot ,some just championship

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2022, 05:33:18 PM

Yeah I had brolly, Lockhart,2 mcgurks, Downey, McGilligan, McKeever, damper , Mc cloy and Scullion . Some played a lot ,some just championship
I have a feeling that Dermot McNicholl also hurled while at St Pat's!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on June 03, 2022, 06:07:12 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2022, 05:33:18 PM

I have a feeling that Dermot McNicholl also hurled while at St Pat's!

Glenuillin had team in 80s

Hoof Hearted

Cassidy hurled a bit too with lavey or screen can't remember which
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 03, 2022, 06:36:08 PM
Cassidy hurled a bit too with lavey or screen can't remember which

Definitely Lavey. Superb hurler.