Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

oakleaflad

Mayo, Armagh, Clare, Meath, Cork, Louth, Limerick, Roscommon, Kildare as of now afaik.

Will lose anywhere from 2-4 of those first 6 teams as possibilities after the qualifying round this weekend.

Silver hill

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2022, 05:22:11 PM
Mayo, Armagh, Clare, Meath, Cork, Louth, Limerick, Roscommon, Kildare as of now afaik.

Will lose anywhere from 2-4 of those first 6 teams as possibilities after the qualifying round this weekend.

Do the 4 provincial losers play the 4 winners from the 4 upcoming  qualifiers....is that not the way of it? The 4 winners from that join Derry Dublin Galway and Kerry in the last 8?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Silver hill on May 31, 2022, 05:39:58 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2022, 05:22:11 PM

Do the 4 provincial losers play the 4 winners from the 4 upcoming  qualifiers....is that not the way of it? The 4 winners from that join Derry Dublin Galway and Kerry in the last 8?
Yes, but to my knowledge Derry cannot draw Tyrone, Monaghan or Donegal again in a QF. 'to avoid repeat pairings where possible' or similar is what I read. Not sure what they'd do if we only had one possible opponent (if Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal all progress to QF stage).

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: restorepride on May 30, 2022, 11:14:33 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 07:39:06 PM
Quote from: restorepride on April 18, 2022, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 05:02:35 PM
Progress back from a place we never should have been to a place we never should have dropped below?

Bit to go yet before pride is fully restored.
As a matter of interest, what would be your 'success criteria" for Derry under Gallagher in the next 12 months? Or under any manager?

The year we were relegated from div 3, Armagh were promoted to div 2. I'd take where Armagh are now.

Any further questions?
As a matter of interest, are we above Armagh now?

Sobering up sufficiently to reply to this.

But if you're gonna quote me, use this one.

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 01, 2022, 10:13:59 PM
There are occasions where I am happy to admit I know f**k all about football.

Today was one such occasion.

Such occasions are very common.

Anyhow, neither team's season is over, but I'd prefer to be where we are. But I'm also mindful that another 70 minutes could end our season.

restorepride

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 31, 2022, 07:52:03 PM
Quote from: restorepride on May 30, 2022, 11:14:33 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 07:39:06 PM
Quote from: restorepride on April 18, 2022, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 05:02:35 PM
Progress back from a place we never should have been to a place we never should have dropped below?

Bit to go yet before pride is fully restored.
As a matter of interest, what would be your 'success criteria" for Derry under Gallagher in the next 12 months? Or under any manager?

The year we were relegated from div 3, Armagh were promoted to div 2. I'd take where Armagh are now.

Any further questions?
As a matter of interest, are we above Armagh now?

Sobering up sufficiently to reply to this.

But if you're gonna quote me, use this one.

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 01, 2022, 10:13:59 PM
There are occasions where I am happy to admit I know f**k all about football.

Today was one such occasion.

Such occasions are very common.

Anyhow, neither team's season is over, but I'd prefer to be where we are. But I'm also mindful that another 70 minutes could end our season.
This is positive news!! Both sobriety and hope!!🤣🤣
On another note re Ard Mhacha, best wishes to Niall Grimley - very serious neck injury apparently and a long road to recovery. Shows again the sacrifices our players make to play the game we love.

screenexile

Jesus there's some amount of slating going on about our lads in the free state . . . were we as bad about Donegal back in 2011/12?

Also the million dollar question. Will our game translate to the better teams at Croke Park?

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on June 01, 2022, 10:38:31 AM
Jesus there's some amount of slating going on about our lads in the free state . . . were we as bad about Donegal back in 2011/12?

Also the million dollar question. Will our game translate to the better teams at Croke Park?

That's a good question Screen and one we've been chatting about. Though for 'better' I'd have more 'open'. The last decade or more playing against the blanket defence has been Derry's achilles heal (or one of them!). To have progressed to a place where we can go toe to toe with the the likes of Donegal and their experienced / well established defensive setup and prevail is incredible.
Our runners and line breakers didn't get anywhere near the space or chances to do the type of damage they did against a more open Tyrone / Monaghan. They will though in the quarter final, so will be interesting to see how our middle 8 (add in Cluckey and Brendan) and their mobility / athleticism get on at HQ. From being in Div 4 a few years ago to being a team who other counties will fear playing in an All Ireland quarter final is some going... Exciting times.

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 10:54:35 AM

That's a good question Screen and one we've been chatting about. Though for 'better' I'd have more 'open'. The last decade or more playing against the blanket defence has been Derry's achilles heal (or one of them!). To have progressed to a place where we can go toe to toe with the the likes of Donegal and their experienced / well established defensive setup and prevail is incredible.
Our runners and line breakers didn't get anywhere near the space or chances to do the type of damage they did against a more open Tyrone / Monaghan. They will though in the quarter final, so will be interesting to see how our middle 8 (add in Cluckey and Brendan) and their mobility / athleticism get on at HQ. From being in Div 4 a few years ago to being a team who other counties will fear playing in an All Ireland quarter final is some going... Exciting times.

It's difficult to say, but I don't think we'll be the walkover some in the south think we will be.
Remember Owenbeg was built to the same dimensions as Croke Park, so in terms of being able to train using the same available "space" we should be in a good place.
Kerry won't have come up against the intensity Derry currently bring and we've seen it before (albeit a long time ago) Kerry can struggle when they saunter out of their provincial championship and then meet a defensively set team who bring a whole different level of intensity.
Dublin I'm still not sold on, they are not what they were but they are still formidable. I wouldn't be convinced on their management.

It all feels a bit like the same type of commentary that came out when Tyrone burst onto the scene in 03. The southern media didnt rate them, then they played against them and had now answers.
I'm not sure we're at that stage, but I also don't think Kerry or Dublin will beat us by 20pts.

But lets be realistic, we are in bonus territory. Whatever happens the rest of the year, its been a success and should lead to better times ahead. Provided we can keep Rory and the team together.

It's great to be able to have a conversation though where we are looking at competing against the big teams rather than wondering if we'd get over Div 4 team in the league.

Keyser soze

One of the most pleasing things is that in the 3 matches so far it has been different players who have stepped up the plate as leaders on the different days, shows that there is real depth in the team, though maybe not so much on the bench [compared to some other counties, and exacerbated by some players stepping away] after the first couple or three subs.

And on that note thought it was very tough on the 2 young lads coming on and then being taken off again.

lenny

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 01, 2022, 02:57:14 PM
One of the most pleasing things is that in the 3 matches so far it has been different players who have stepped up the plate as leaders on the different days, shows that there is real depth in the team, though maybe not so much on the bench [compared to some other counties, and exacerbated by some players stepping away] after the first couple or three subs.

And on that note thought it was very tough on the 2 young lads coming on and then being taken off again.

Not tough at all. They got to play a significant part in a historic victory. What an experience for them at the start of their careers. You're correct in highlighting the fact that different players are stepping up in each game which is great to see.

Estimator

Thought it was a very shrewd move by Gallagher. There was a lot of commentary in the build up about how he plans for everything.

I could be well off the mark here, but I'm assuming this was a planned move to give Heron and Toner a break with the threat of extra-time looming. If that was the case then I'm sure the two young lads who replaced them would've known what their role was in this.
Ulster League Champions 2009

marty34

Quote from: Estimator on June 01, 2022, 04:04:14 PM

Thought it was a very shrewd move by Gallagher. There was a lot of commentary in the build up about how he plans for everything.

I could be well off the mark here, but I'm assuming this was a planned move to give Heron and Toner a break with the threat of extra-time looming. If that was the case then I'm sure the two young lads who replaced them would've known what their role was in this.

I wonder what the other panel members think of this move by RG?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 01, 2022, 12:03:22 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 10:54:35 AM

It's difficult to say, but I don't think we'll be the walkover some in the south think we will be.
Remember Owenbeg was built to the same dimensions as Croke Park, so in terms of being able to train using the same available "space" we should be in a good place.
Kerry won't have come up against the intensity Derry currently bring and we've seen it before (albeit a long time ago) Kerry can struggle when they saunter out of their provincial championship and then meet a defensively set team who bring a whole different level of intensity.
Dublin I'm still not sold on, they are not what they were but they are still formidable. I wouldn't be convinced on their management.

It all feels a bit like the same type of commentary that came out when Tyrone burst onto the scene in 03. The southern media didnt rate them, then they played against them and had now answers.
I'm not sure we're at that stage, but I also don't think Kerry or Dublin will beat us by 20pts.

But lets be realistic, we are in bonus territory. Whatever happens the rest of the year, its been a success and should lead to better times ahead. Provided we can keep Rory and the team together.

It's great to be able to have a conversation though where we are looking at competing against the big teams rather than wondering if we'd get over Div 4 team in the league.

Have listened to a few podcasts this week, most from the South, and the only one that talked any sense was lads on the ‎OTB one. The rest where utter skitter. Even saw Second Captains with a Facebook post titled "Will Derry get it so easy outside of Ulster? Do some of these matches deserve to even be televised?". Like f**k me lads, pure clickbait and that is typical of the shite they are putting out. We beat three Div 1 teams including the AI champions at home FFS.

cornerback

Quote from: marty34 on June 01, 2022, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: Estimator on June 01, 2022, 04:04:14 PM

I wonder what the other panel members think of this move by RG?

Would penalties have been in Gallagher's mind?

Derry Optimist

Last Sunday was one of my happiest sporting experiences as a long-time Derry football supporter.Undoubtedly all Derry supporters thought likewise.I will never forget, initially the relief, and then the huge, overwhelming euphoria when the referee sounded the final whistle.

To see 15,000 Derry fans then  race onto the pitch was a never - to - be forgotten experience.Happiness was in abundance in every face,in every voice as it dawned on us that we had won,in dramatic fashion, the Anglo Celt Cup for the first time since 1998.  That panaromaic overview of exultant,excited Derry supporters will sustain us into the fading sunset of our lives.

Let us rejoice and give credit, first of all, to all the panel of players who made this historic victory possible. Each and every one of them are innately talented, skill - wise.They possess incredible determination and a  workrate which inevitably separates the ordinary from the extraordinary and leads to such magical outcomes as the result of this year's Ulster final.

Then it must be quickly added that really it was the tactical genius that is  Rory Gallagher who ensured that each player individually worked totally under his brilliant strategies at all times so that collectively the whole team bonded together to maximise their potential.

There  also has  been a huge sea change in the  amount of people who now follow the County football team.True, everyone loves winners and success but the County Board and all its different stakeholders deserve tremendous credit in promoting Gaelic Games and coaching at club and school levels over the years. Sunday's triumph was the cumulative result of everyone pulling in the same direction.Let us build on that further  until this magnificent group of players become the eternal catalyst for the ultimate Holy Grail someday soon in Croke Park.