Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Wildweasel74

I think he likes defensive tactics but until he get a bigger scoring threat he sorta has no choice, there forwards Coming in a few yrs but he may need look again at some more lads come club championship

restorepride

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 07:39:06 PM
Quote from: restorepride on April 18, 2022, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 05:02:35 PM
Progress back from a place we never should have been to a place we never should have dropped below?

Bit to go yet before pride is fully restored.
As a matter of interest, what would be your 'success criteria" for Derry under Gallagher in the next 12 months? Or under any manager?

The year we were relegated from div 3, Armagh were promoted to div 2. I'd take where Armagh are now.

Any further questions?
As a matter of interest, are we above Armagh now?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Is Brendan Rogers the best footballer and hurler in Ulster and has that ever happened before?

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 30, 2022, 11:32:31 PM
Is Brendan Rogers the best footballer and hurler in Ulster and has that ever happened before?
Yes and not sure - but I know that in the 1970s (1975/76?), Peter Stevenson played Railway Cup Football and Hurling for Ulster on the same weekend or the same day!! Rogers on a different level though and the fact that he plays defence in football but attack in hurling adds to his exceptional versatility. Some pup!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on May 30, 2022, 11:41:57 PM
Yes and not sure - but I know that in the 1970s (1975/76?), Peter Stevenson played Railway Cup Football and Hurling for Ulster on the same weekend or the same day!! Rogers on a different level though and the fact that he plays defence in football but attack in hurling adds to his exceptional versatility. Some pup!

Unbelievable athlete, the Downeys and Mckeevers, etc are other good examples but I think Rogers surpasses them all for being at the top in both codes, and such a humble likable character. I ran into Damper there few years back in Birr

marty34

Another victory for Derry and he'll get an All-Star.

shawshank

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 31, 2022, 08:44:33 AM

Unbelievable athlete, the Downeys and Mckeevers, etc are other good examples but I think Rogers surpasses them all for being at the top in both codes, and such a humble likable character. I ran into Damper there few years back in Birr

its an interesting debate, being a top player in an excellent club team in hurling against being a top player in a county hurling team, which Mc Keever and Downey were. Derry beat Antrim to win the Ulster and then put in a fantastic performance at the All Ireland semifinal stage. Derry would get beat out the gate if they played Antrim in hurling now. You see the problem, judging how you play at club level is very different to judging them on the inter county stage especially judging them in an All Ireland semi-final in Croke park.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: shawshank on May 31, 2022, 10:06:37 AM

its an interesting debate, being a top player in an excellent club team in hurling against being a top player in a county hurling team, which Mc Keever and Downey were. Derry beat Antrim to win the Ulster and then put in a fantastic performance at the All Ireland semifinal stage. Derry would get beat out the gate if they played Antrim in hurling now. You see the problem, judging how you play at club level is very different to judging them on the inter county stage especially judging them in an All Ireland semi-final in Croke park.

I agree with a lot of this, but Derry would give Antrim a game with everyone out, I just cant think of a better hurler than him in Ulster atm,  McManus maybe a year or 2 ago, Down have few very strong players coming through too

OakLeaf

Interesting indeed. These things are always very subjective. For what it's worth, I'd say Seamus Downey was a slightly better hurler than Brendan Rogers, but Brendan is a better footballer. I'd say Henry Downey was at least on a par with Brendan in football, but Brendan is a better hurler. Taking both together I'd say Brendan just edges the all round award, but the caveat is that Derry won an All-Ireland under Henry's leadership, so there is that :) Regardless I'm just delighted we have Brendan Rogers in our county!

Franko

Downey never played in any of Derry's Ulster winning teams.  I'm not sure if he ever lined out for Derry at all when they were playing Div. 1 hurling.

McKeever on the other hand was some operator, but possibly more of a master of the darker arts than the finer ones!

Mikhailov

Lads, from a Tyrone fan first of all massive congratulations on the Ulster title on Sunday. Richly deserved after a tough draw but 3 superb victories.
Read this thread a lot and whilst a lot of the lads that currently play are super footballers (and hurlers), I think it is crazy to suggest (at this point in their career) that they are better than any of the 93 team and especially not Henry Downey.
Is this the same Henry that captained an AI winning county, played 6 on a AI winning club team and played the vast majority of his county football in Division 1 NFL and was a top player in an era where Ulster was a seriously strong province and there was no back door - take a chill tablet and calm down.

On another point, there are a few players who have seriously impressed me in the 3 games to date but don't seem to get anywhere near the credit the higher profile players get. The players I refer to are Conor McCluskey, Ethan Doherty & Paudie McGrogan.
McCluskey especially looks the real deal - to date he has had his 3 direct opponents (Burns, Hughes & Brennan) all subbed off before the 40 minute mark which in itself is impressive, not withstanding his relentless running up and down the pitch.
Doherty and McGrogan go quietly about their business and are brilliant at it, covering ground, getting on the ball and are irreplaceable in my opinion - 2 serious footballers.

Mario

Quote from: marty34 on May 31, 2022, 09:31:36 AM
Hopefully an additional motivation for a few players now. If we get a good draw in the next round and got to a semi there could be a few contenders. At the minute it's hard to think of a better man marker than McKaigue so i'd say he could get one on his performance to date alone. Other positions will be a lot more competitive once the Dubs and Kerry actually play a game of any significance but if Rogers, McKinless, Glass or McGuigan keep up their form who knows.

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2022, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 31, 2022, 09:31:36 AM
Hopefully an additional motivation for a few players now. If we get a good draw in the next round and got to a semi there could be a few contenders. At the minute it's hard to think of a better man marker than McKaigue so i'd say he could get one on his performance to date alone. Other positions will be a lot more competitive once the Dubs and Kerry actually play a game of any significance but if Rogers, McKinless, Glass or McGuigan keep up their form who knows.

Can someone do the hard work and tell me who Derry can possibly play next?

Wildweasel74

Too hard to work out at the minute.

imtommygunn

Tyrone  ;D

(Bound to be isn't it!)