?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on March 16, 2022, 09:07:42 PM
Quote from: restorepride on March 16, 2022, 06:28:43 PM
Officials rightly deserve respect but they also have to respect the frustration of those footballers who want to play football and are prevented by foul play. Shane was having one of his best games this year for Derry and trying to get forward to put us into Division 1. Terrible outcome for someone trying to play football.

Unfortunately the justice of his red card is irrelevant and not a defence for verbal abuse of the officials however justified that may have been. I would be very surprised to see a successful appeal.
Are you aware of this "verbal abuse"?

lenny

Quote from: restorepride on March 16, 2022, 09:13:49 PM
Officials rightly deserve respect but they also have to respect the frustration of those footballers who want to play football and are prevented by foul play. Shane was having one of his best games this year for Derry and trying to get forward to put us into Division 1. Terrible outcome for someone trying to play football.

Unfortunately the justice of his red card is irrelevant and not a defence for verbal abuse of the officials however justified that may have been. I would be very surprised to see a successful appeal.

Not at all. Has he been given the suspension for some other reason? I'm making that assumption as he's not being suspended for 2 yellows. Both his yellow cards were unjustified and terrible decisions and everyone can see that. My point is that won't be all that useful as a defence if he's verbally abused officials.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on March 16, 2022, 09:51:49 PM
Quote from: restorepride on March 16, 2022, 09:13:49 PM

Not at all. Has he been given the suspension for some other reason? I'm making that assumption as he's not being suspended for 2 yellows. Both his yellow cards were unjustified and terrible decisions and everyone can see that. My point is that won't be all that useful as a defence if he's verbally abused officials.
Has he been suspended?

Wildweasel74

I think it at the point that ref explain their decisions during a game, managers have to face the press, about time refs give reasons for game changing decisions made.

marty34

Crazy that the Derry forward was being literally pinned to the ground, like WWF, in front of Gough and I presume he told the ref. the two of them were at it, is crazy. Madness.

You see this regularly, one man wrestling with another yet the two get booked whereas it's the defending team's player who starts the wrestling.  Very annoying for attacking players I'd say.

Not sure if referees are to get quizzed after a game - there'll definately be less and less referees. It's a hard job and too many arm chair referees.  In saying that, some refereeing decisions, as above, are baffling.

It's easy to watch a replay 4 or 5 times, from different angles and make a judgement but to do it on the spot is impossible.

Players need to take a bit of responsibiliy also.  I saw an Armagh lad V Kildare the other day getting a neck high challenge, went down and was holding his head. I've also noticed recently players trying to influence the referee with imaginary cards etc.  This has crept into the game more and more often.

I remembering doing a course a few years ago and there was a bit on refereeing and the rules. I got about 60% correct...lol. Maybe about 10 questions but still shows how much I didn't know about the rules - and that was only a snapshot of questions.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on March 17, 2022, 08:09:16 AM
Crazy that the Derry forward was being literally pinned to the ground, like WWF, in front of Gough and I presume he told the ref. the two of them were at it, is crazy. Madness.

You see this regularly, one man wrestling with another yet the two get booked whereas it's the defending team's player who starts the wrestling.  Very annoying for attacking players I'd say.

Not sure if referees are to get quizzed after a game - there'll definately be less and less referees. It's a hard job and too many arm chair referees.  In saying that, some refereeing decisions, as above, are baffling.

It's easy to watch a replay 4 or 5 times, from different angles and make a judgement but to do it on the spot is impossible.

Players need to take a bit of responsibiliy also.  I saw an Armagh lad V Kildare the other day getting a neck high challenge, went down and was holding his head. I've also noticed recently players trying to influence the referee with imaginary cards etc.  This has crept into the game more and more often.

I remembering doing a course a few years ago and there was a bit on refereeing and the rules. I got about 60% correct...lol. Maybe about 10 questions but still shows how much I didn't know about the rules - and that was only a snapshot of questions.

It's why the game is hard to watch at times. Thugishness over skill. Blame the coaches . It's endemic . Watch the hurling lad

JoG2

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on March 17, 2022, 10:19:42 AM
Mcguigan definitely out.
Thanks. Up to others to step up now and that's why you have a panel, I suppose. Might Ben McCarron start? He can hit frees well (on a good day!) and might also get space to play a bit against Galway?

Derry Optimist

Unfortunately, all Derry players and management are, in the first instance, being punished because an incompetent referee wrongly booked Shane McGuigan, not only once but twice, against Roscommon last Sunday. Secondly that same referee did not protect Shane and other Derry forwards by awarding more frees to them as they were being fouled constantly off the ball.When Emmett Bradley was taking the last free kick he was impeded by a Roscommon defender and the ball should have been moved forward as per rule.

On the other side of the coin the referee failed to give the advantage to a Roscommon forward as he bore down on goal with only Odhran Lynch to beat. If Roscommon had scored a goal then it would have been a huge psychological advantage to them. So we should not over dwell on such what ifs! Of course sending a man off clearly in the wrong does NOT fall into that category.

However,giving abuse allegedly to an official is a separate suspending offence and the rights and wrongs of the actual sending off can NOT be used as a mitigating factor.So it is important that management constantly remind all players and themselves about the negative consequences of breaking any rules.No team wants to find themselves a man down or indeed a manager put to the stands for an unnecessary disciplinary transgression.

Derry have very good players and a very good manager. As the team improves and develops their discipline will continue to be tested more by unscrupulous tactics from opposing teams and opposing managers.As we move forward  there should be no soft frees conceded or no voices raised in a negative fashion.Keep eternally focused on the team's overall plan should be the repeated mantra.

If Derry and Rory adhere to this type of strategy, as they have done up to now, Derry can and will beat  Galway, even without the hugely talented Shane McGuigan. To improve Derry's scoring ratio and attacking potential for the Galway game I would play Ciaran McFaul at centre half forward and Niall Loughlin at full forward with Paul Cassidy moving up on a more regular basis to the traditional left corner forward role.

This match presents Niall the ideal opportunity to show his real leadership qualities as a constant and accurate, dangerous scoring forward.Thus my front six for the Galway game would read as follows: Ethan Doherty(this is where he is best ie running at defences), Ciaran McFaul,Oisin McWilliams,Benny Heron,Niall Loughlin and Paul Cassidy. Niall Toner,as always, and Ben McCarron
can be used as impact subs in the second half. After all  we should not concentrate on the circumstances re Shane McGuigan's unavailability but rather on the mere fact that we will not have him.(He could have been unavailable because he was injured or ill).His absence can be  used positively by both management and fellow players to up their own game.
Doire Abú

restorepride

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on March 17, 2022, 05:54:10 PM
:'( poor yous :'( :'(
Great post. What county are you from (if you understand the concept)?

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on March 17, 2022, 05:18:49 PM
Unfortunately, all Derry players and management are, in the first instance, being punished because an incompetent referee wrongly booked Shane McGuigan, not only once but twice, against Roscommon last Sunday. Secondly that same referee did not protect Shane and other Derry forwards by awarding more frees to them as they were being fouled constantly off the ball.When Emmett Bradley was taking the last free kick he was impeded by a Roscommon defender and the ball should have been moved forward as per rule.

On the other side of the coin the referee failed to give the advantage to a Roscommon forward as he bore down on goal with only Odhran Lynch to beat. If Roscommon had scored a goal then it would have been a huge psychological advantage to them. So we should not over dwell on such what ifs! Of course sending a man off clearly in the wrong does NOT fall into that category.

However,giving abuse allegedly to an official is a separate suspending offence and the rights and wrongs of the actual sending off can NOT be used as a mitigating factor.So it is important that management constantly remind all players and themselves about the negative consequences of breaking any rules.No team wants to find themselves a man down or indeed a manager put to the stands for an unnecessary disciplinary transgression.

Derry have very good players and a very good manager. As the team improves and develops their discipline will continue to be tested more by unscrupulous tactics from opposing teams and opposing managers.As we move forward  there should be no soft frees conceded or no voices raised in a negative fashion.Keep eternally focused on the team's overall plan should be the repeated mantra.

If Derry and Rory adhere to this type of strategy, as they have done up to now, Derry can and will beat  Galway, even without the hugely talented Shane McGuigan. To improve Derry's scoring ratio and attacking potential for the Galway game I would play Ciaran McFaul at centre half forward and Niall Loughlin at full forward with Paul Cassidy moving up on a more regular basis to the traditional left corner forward role.

This match presents Niall the ideal opportunity to show his real leadership qualities as a constant and accurate, dangerous scoring forward.Thus my front six for the Galway game would read as follows: Ethan Doherty(this is where he is best ie running at defences), Ciaran McFaul,Oisin McWilliams,Benny Heron,Niall Loughlin and Paul Cassidy. Niall Toner,as always, and Ben McCarron
can be used as impact subs in the second half. After all  we should not concentrate on the circumstances re Shane McGuigan's unavailability but rather on the mere fact that we will not have him.(He could have been unavailable because he was injured or ill).His absence can be  used positively by both management and fellow players to up their own game.
Doire Abú
Who would you have on the frees?

Derry Optimist

To answer Restorepride's  query as to whom I would have on frees the answer is simple.Niall Loughlin would be my choice as he is an excellent free taker from all ranges.

Emmett Bradley and Benny Heron are also capable short range free takers and presumably Ben McCarron and Shane Heavron, who are also accurate place kickers,  will both be on the bench.McCarron might even start. So Derrry are NOT short of good place kickers for Sunday's encounter!

JoG2

Quote from: Derry Optimist on March 17, 2022, 06:33:35 PM
To answer Restorepride's  query as to whom I would have on frees the answer is simple.Niall Loughlin would be my choice as he is an excellent free taker from all ranges.

Emmett Bradley and Benny Heron are also capable short range free takers and presumably Ben McCarron and Shane Heavron, who are also accurate place kickers,  will both be on the bench.McCarron might even start. So Derrry are NOT short of good place kickers for Sunday's encounter!

Glass can hit a 45 too

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on March 17, 2022, 06:33:35 PM

And have a bit of time to put in extra practice!! Matthew Downey another possible option.

Wildweasel74

Is saying this is a f**king joke classed as abuse of a official, I may be in trouble given about about my company office practices sometimes.