?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 31, 2022, 11:55:58 PM
Armagh played fairly open sat night.

How do you compare Armagh's set of forwards to Derry's.

Wildweasel74

Had Derry played any fball against them in the first half 2yrs ago Derry would beat them. They have a stand out in O'neill but he ain't spending half the game in his own half like Shane, McGuigan.

lenny

Quote from: toby47 on January 31, 2022, 10:55:49 PM
Gallagher is exactly what Derry needed when he came in & over the next year or 2. He will sort the culture, sort the crap, get a consistent panel, give game time to players who will play 10+ years of county football (Murray & Downey) & stop the revolving door.

The football he plays will always limit Derry, however people need to be realistic about Derry over the next couple of years. They shouldn't be winning Ulster titles & are probably a Divison 2 team at present, if Gallagher gets them to Division 1 in the next couple of years he's done some job. I think it'll be the next Derry manager who realistically should be looking at Ulsters etc.

Derry still lacking the forwards for me. McGuigan is the talisman but IMO he still gets kept fairly quiet a lot in county football (maybe because teams can double up on him because of the lack of threat elsewhere) Also physically small up front. Laughlin looks like a great talent & is motoring well however will take a couple of years to really get into his stride. Benny is a work horse but not a big scoring threat at county level, more of an industrious footballer for Derry. Niall Toner is a whippet but quite small, Paul Cassidy looks to have gone up a level but is also very slight. Niall Loughlin was quiet on Saturday, finished off a good team move and is a great option for frees. Derry are going to need to get at least 3 scoring forwards on to the pitch to start challenging bigger teams.  Lachlan could get there in a couple of years, as could Paul Cassidy potentially. Niall Loughlin also has the ability to step up and add more scores to his game.

Glass could do with a natural midfield partner aswell, and possibly a back up aswell if Glass gets injured. McFaul is brilliant, but not a natural midfielder at county level. Would be great to be able to utilise McFaul in the half forward line & the likes of McKinless, Tad, CD & other chipping in with the odd point from defence.

Pretty fair post. I wouldn't rule us out of an Ulster title but we need some help with a good draw. We're going through a spell of getting very tough draws. I also think Gallagher is the first manager we've had who's organised us properly defensively but who also works really hard on how to then open up the other team. Our attacking play is way ahead of where we were a few years ago in terms of breaking down defensive set ups.

tbrick18

Quote from: lenny on February 01, 2022, 07:27:05 AM
Gallagher is exactly what Derry needed when he came in & over the next year or 2. He will sort the culture, sort the crap, get a consistent panel, give game time to players who will play 10+ years of county football (Murray & Downey) & stop the revolving door.

The football he plays will always limit Derry, however people need to be realistic about Derry over the next couple of years. They shouldn't be winning Ulster titles & are probably a Divison 2 team at present, if Gallagher gets them to Division 1 in the next couple of years he's done some job. I think it'll be the next Derry manager who realistically should be looking at Ulsters etc.

Derry still lacking the forwards for me. McGuigan is the talisman but IMO he still gets kept fairly quiet a lot in county football (maybe because teams can double up on him because of the lack of threat elsewhere) Also physically small up front. Laughlin looks like a great talent & is motoring well however will take a couple of years to really get into his stride. Benny is a work horse but not a big scoring threat at county level, more of an industrious footballer for Derry. Niall Toner is a whippet but quite small, Paul Cassidy looks to have gone up a level but is also very slight. Niall Loughlin was quiet on Saturday, finished off a good team move and is a great option for frees. Derry are going to need to get at least 3 scoring forwards on to the pitch to start challenging bigger teams.  Lachlan could get there in a couple of years, as could Paul Cassidy potentially. Niall Loughlin also has the ability to step up and add more scores to his game.

Glass could do with a natural midfield partner aswell, and possibly a back up aswell if Glass gets injured. McFaul is brilliant, but not a natural midfielder at county level. Would be great to be able to utilise McFaul in the half forward line & the likes of McKinless, Tad, CD & other chipping in with the odd point from defence.

Pretty fair post. I wouldn't rule us out of an Ulster title but we need some help with a good draw. We're going through a spell of getting very tough draws. I also think Gallagher is the first manager we've had who's organised us properly defensively but who also works really hard on how to then open up the other team. Our attacking play is way ahead of where we were a few years ago in terms of breaking down defensive set ups.

I'd agree.
It takes time to build that mentality into a team. We have some exciting young players coming through so I do think in 1-2 years this squad will be at it's peak in terms of ability. Gallagher has done a great job so far especially given the start/stop nature of things over the past couple of years. He deserves his chance and bringing that team on.
I'd love to see a couple of big physical players coming into the forward line, but I don't know if we have any better than what's currently there.
Gallagher has been the best manager in a very long time and I think he'll bring this team as far as they are capable of, which, imo is an Ulster title at least.

oakleaflad

I've been to the majority of county games over the last few years. We have kicked the ball in at times, even this year in the McKenna cup, but it isn't playing to our strengths. Even in the championship game vs Armagh we kicked ball in and it came straight back out. McGuigan has undoubtedly been our best forward but lacks a bit of pace too. Hopefully Loughlin shows what he can do at county level and young Murray looks like a good ball winning option inside if we're patient with him. 

oakleaflad

What are your options here though? If pushing McFaul to Half Forward it's probably Tad or E Bradley? Maybe Oisin McWilliams? No real obvious answer for me. I'd like to see McKinless kept at 6.
I'd be content with the named starting defense against Down come championship to be honest. Might get slated for this and i'm actually a fan of how they play but one thing I wasn't sure of with Tad at half back was the tackling against a good opposition forward (same applied to Ethan D too). Whilst appreciating what they offer from there on the ball i'd rather see them at Half Forward.

toby47

Quote from: toby47 on January 24, 2022, 12:29:05 PM
Any idea when the club football will start this year?

Will it be when the county football finishes up in summer time or will leagues be played on without county men?

League Start Dates
Senior - 2nd April
Intermediate - 24th April
Junior - 10th April

Hurling League - 27th April

Championships continue round robin
Senior/Intermediate -
1st round robin game - 28-31 July
Junior
1st round robin game - 15th July

Hurling
1st round robin game - 22nd July

Link

SFC going to 12 teams from 2023?

Rawhide

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 01, 2022, 09:52:02 AM

What are your options here though? If pushing McFaul to Half Forward it's probably Tad or E Bradley? Maybe Oisin McWilliams? No real obvious answer for me. I'd like to see McKinless kept at 6.
I'd be content with the named starting defense against Down come championship to be honest. Might get slated for this and i'm actually a fan of how they play but one thing I wasn't sure of with Tad at half back was the tackling against a good opposition forward (same applied to Ethan D too). Whilst appreciating what they offer from there on the ball i'd rather see them at Half Forward.

Glass mf isn't big enough for the top end of football. None of the options are. l was really surprised he didn't take a look at Tohil at mf in the Mc kenna cup. If I know how Mc Faul can function at mf you can bet Gallagher does to, so what did he/we gain. 6:5 and mobile, he had nothing to loose by checking it out. Opportunity lost
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on February 02, 2022, 12:31:40 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 01, 2022, 09:52:02 AM

Glass mf isn't big enough for the top end of football. None of the options are. l was really surprised he didn't take a look at Tohil at mf in the Mc kenna cup. If I know how Mc Faul can function at mf you can bet Gallagher does to, so what did he/we gain. 6:5 and mobile, he had nothing to loose by checking it out. Opportunity lost

Tohill isn't up to it. If he was he would be playing.

Rawhide

He hasn't played one game since his return from down under at club level or county and thats your assessment. He may not be but I wouldn't mind assessing him from a game.

smort

He played at least twice in the mckenna cup

JoG2

Quote from: smort on February 02, 2022, 12:42:54 PM

3 appearances including a start against Donegal, lined out at midfield adn was pushed onto the age of the square. 1 good catch where the ref didn't give him a sec to put his hand up for the mark.

Glass has all the attributes to be one of the best midfielders in the country in the next couple of years

Rawhide

Quote from: smort on February 02, 2022, 12:42:54 PM

Are you taking the piss. Played at ff, where they kicked the ball in twice, and he caught one of those for a mark. We don't need a ff, we need a big mid fielder who is mobile. He may not be the answer, i am not hopeful but its should have been looked at as its a critical area we need to progress.

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on February 02, 2022, 12:37:12 PM
He hasn't played one game since his return from down under at club level or county and thats your assessment. He may not be but I wouldn't mind assessing him from a game.

You don't need to assess him, Gallagher assessing him is enough. He has had him now for a couple of months. Anton didn't make the 26 man panel at the weekend. The word round the set up is that he's not near the level.