?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

quit yo jibbajabba

bannside

Fergal Doherty undoubtedly your best. Carried Derry at times on his back. Followed by Paddy Bradley. Skinner the one who got away. Best club player Conleith Gilligan.

Johnny Mc Bride and Paul Mc Flynn can't be far away from either list too.

JoG2

Newbridge Exile

Lockhart Muldoon Bradley for me (honorable mentions to Mark Lynch Paul McFlynn  & Big Fergal )

Wildweasel74

Doherty, P Bradley, E Muldoon, in that order.

lenny

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on November 13, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Lockhart Muldoon Bradley for me (honorable mentions to Mark Lynch Paul McFlynn  & Big Fergal )

Agree with those.

tbrick18

Lockhart - one of the best defenders in the country let alone in Derry. Has to be first pick.
Paddy Bradley - one of the most natural finishers I've ever seen superb strength to win his own ball. Carried Derry forwards for years and I don't ever remember him finishing a game scoreless.

Really difficult to choose between Muldoon/Doherty.....dead heat.
Muldoon - always posed a goal threat, had an amazing eye for a pass, was top drawer in the air and could play in a multitude of positions. A pleasure to watch.
Doherty - pure heart and determination making him one of the best midfielders in the country for 10 years. His aerial ability was astounding and his physical strength un-matched. I remember him taking Ciaran Whelan to the cleaners in a year Whelan won an allstar.

I can't pick between the two of them.

Not far behind Muldoon and doherty.....Mark Lynch, Kevin McCloy (had 2/3 unreal seasons), Sean Leo McGoldrick, Conleith Gilligan (for his passing and free taking ability).

We really did have a generation of players who didn't get their just reward. I believe a combination of poor management and inept county board cost us big time in the early-mid noughties.

restorepride

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 15, 2021, 10:54:50 AM
Lockhart - one of the best defenders in the country let alone in Derry. Has to be first pick.
Paddy Bradley - one of the most natural finishers I've ever seen superb strength to win his own ball. Carried Derry forwards for years and I don't ever remember him finishing a game scoreless.

Muldoon - always posed a goal threat, had an amazing eye for a pass, was top drawer in the air and could play in a multitude of positions. A pleasure to watch.
Doherty - pure heart and determination making him one of the best midfielders in the country for 10 years. His aerial ability was astounding and his physical strength un-matched. I remember him taking Ciaran Whelan to the cleaners in a year Whelan won an allstar.

Not far behind Muldoon and doherty.....Mark Lynch, Kevin McCloy (had 2/3 unreal seasons), Sean Leo McGoldrick, Conleith Gilligan (for his passing and free taking ability).

We really did have a generation of players who didn't get their just reward. I believe a combination of poor management and inept county board cost us big time in the early-mid noughties.

Would agree with most of that - exception being Conleith, an absolutely outstanding club player but never really had the same impact at intercounty level.  All Star awards are not necessarily a perfect guide but Lockhart, Bradley and Muldoon all got one!   Mind you McCloy also got one but I would put Doherty ahead of him!

tbrick18

Quote from: restorepride on November 15, 2021, 11:35:50 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 15, 2021, 10:54:50 AM

Would agree with most of that - exception being Conleith, an absolutely outstanding club player but never really had the same impact at intercounty level.  All Star awards are not necessarily a perfect guide but Lockhart, Bradley and Muldoon all got one!   Mind you McCloy also got one but I would put Doherty ahead of him!

If Allstars were awarded to the best players there's no doubt in my head that Doherty would have had a few. If we'd got further in the championship he would have got them.
If you compare him to any midfielder in the 2000s, he's at least as good if not better. I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone. To be fair though, Patsy Bradley was up there too, just not of the same ilk.

I honestly believe the team we had in the early 2000s was as good as if not better than Armagh/Tyrone at the time in terms if individual players. We just couldn't get it all together.

Jeremiah O

Ah Holy Ghost lads,Sean Marty has to be a cert in anyone's top 3.
What a player!
Unconquered and unconquerable

Champion The Wonder Horse

Almost impossible task, but I'd go for Muldoon, Doherty and Bradley.

A better discussion would be to pick a post 93 team that would be better man for man than 93.

Truth hurts

Tohill was Derrys best ever.
You could make a case for Bradley and Lockhart being Derrys second best.

Was there ever a Forward better than Paddy Bradley?

Scullion and Lockhart were very similar brains

Keyser soze

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 18, 2021, 11:28:39 AM
Tohill was Derrys best ever.
You could make a case for Bradley and Lockhart being Derrys second best.

Was there ever a Forward better than Paddy Bradley?

Scullion and Lockhart were very similar brains

Lockhart and Scullion in the same sentence, you're having a laugh.

lenny

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on November 17, 2021, 12:51:21 PM

A better discussion would be to pick a post 93 team that would be better man for man than 93.

O Lynch

Lockhart
McCloy
McBride

McFlynn
McKaigue
SL McGoldrick

Doherty
C Glass

Muldoon
J McBride
Skinner

P Bradley
SMcGuigan
D Heavron

toby47

Quote from: lenny on November 18, 2021, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on November 17, 2021, 12:51:21 PM

O Lynch

Lockhart
McCloy
McBride

McFlynn
McKaigue
SL McGoldrick

Doherty
C Glass

Muldoon
J McBride
Skinner