?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

tbrick18

Any views on the Derry v Donegal?

I'd assume Gallagher will stick with the same team. If Rodgers is fit, he'll start in full back. Anyone know how he's progressing?
If Murphy is out for Donegal and we have a fully fit panel, I think we could run Donegal close. Gallagher will be well clued into how Donegal play and how to counteract them. We've also got a system now, a kickout strategy, an apparent high level of fitness (though we won't know for sure until we come up against a Div 1 side how high that is) and a strong running game. Add in a marquee forward with a really good set of supporting forwards and an attacking CHB makes us a different prospect than in recent times.

Makes for a good game and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a Derry championship match.

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 06, 2021, 12:12:51 PM

I'd assume Gallagher will stick with the same team. If Rodgers is fit, he'll start in full back. Anyone know how he's progressing?
If Murphy is out for Donegal and we have a fully fit panel, I think we could run Donegal close. Gallagher will be well clued into how Donegal play and how to counteract them. We've also got a system now, a kickout strategy, an apparent high level of fitness (though we won't know for sure until we come up against a Div 1 side how high that is) and a strong running game. Add in a marquee forward with a really good set of supporting forwards and an attacking CHB makes us a different prospect than in recent times.

Makes for a good game and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a Derry championship match.

Can't see Rogers being fit. We've progressed really well this year but the gap to the top teams in division one is massive as can be seen from the results this year. I wouldn't completely rule us out but realistically a single figure points defeat would be a pretty good achievement when you set it against the results thus far in the championship. If we're still in the game going into the last 10/15 minutes I would honestly be content with that. Hopefully next year with a full round of competitive games in division 2 we can go into the championship with much better prospects.

Keyser soze

Just read on Twitter that Gallagher says 'it's not about being available for selection,..he is playing full back, it is very simple'  make of that what you will.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on July 06, 2021, 01:07:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 06, 2021, 12:12:51 PM

Can't see Rogers being fit. We've progressed really well this year but the gap to the top teams in division one is massive as can be seen from the results this year. I wouldn't completely rule us out but realistically a single figure points defeat would be a pretty good achievement when you set it against the results thus far in the championship. If we're still in the game going into the last 10/15 minutes I would honestly be content with that. Hopefully next year with a full round of competitive games in division 2 we can go into the championship with much better prospects.

I'd agree. Donegal might just pull away on the home straight, hopefully not. Gallagher has the team going well, and for the first time in years, settled. Couple of goals could really put the cat among the pigeons. Really looking forward to this, for a change!

imtommygunn

Who's the other full back?

Bound to be a bit annoying if you're playing in loads of games then a boy comes in for the championship.

shawshank

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2021, 02:57:18 PM
Who's the other full back?

Bound to be a bit annoying if you're playing in loads of games then a boy comes in for the championship.

Do you know anything about our full backs to put up that dopey post ffs

imtommygunn

If I did I wouldn't be asking the question. I'm asking - that ok?

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2021, 04:06:47 PM

Rodgers had been playing FB, Chrissy McKaigue slotted in the last day in his absence.
He was just ok IMO. I'd much rather see Rodgers in there.

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 06, 2021, 05:20:19 PM

Rodgers had been playing FB, Chrissy McKaigue slotted in the last day in his absence.

FYI Rodgers is the Leicester manager. Rogers is the Derry full back who's doubtful with a hamstring injury.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on July 06, 2021, 05:42:43 PM

FYI Rodgers is the Leicester manager. Rogers is the Derry full back who's doubtful with a hamstring injury.

Roger Rodger, what's your vector Victor?

imtommygunn

;D

Ah I thought mckaigue was corner back. Thanks.

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2021, 06:31:06 PM

;D

Ah I thought mckaigue was corner back. Thanks.

Yeah Tommy, Brendan has been the main stay at CFB for a good few years. When he's free from injury he's nailed on in that position.

southderryman

Real Talk

No doubt Derry are winning, getting big scores and most of all have a system of play where every one in the team plus 3/4 used subs know where they fit in .... this is team Derry

It has been said already that game is this 2 steps up the ladder playing a Donegal team that have perfected the  "team ethic " for many years,  They have a lot of very good forwards and an outstanding one in McBrearty ... which Derry defender/player could mark him ... I can't think of anyone.   However, their back line is vulnerable as Monaghan proved during their league game.   But as Lenny says .. really it is unlikely that we will them .... Think we need a change at half back .... Jack Doherty can't be far away from a starting slot instead of Tad and McNeill is also a very smart player but they will all be needed at some point ...

It has been a long time since we went into a first round Championship game as well prepared ....  it could end up as a tale of two goalkeepers ... ours is good ... theirs is very good.  The game is currently heavily dependant on the performance of the keeper and the Ref will also play a significant part ... fascinating stuff 

Wildweasel74

What's the craic for Sunday, what's the capacity for this game? Will there be any tickets available