Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Boycey on October 17, 2019, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on October 16, 2019, 11:42:48 PM
Jones was signed for big money. £16.5 million up front, with talk that went past £20 million with add-ons. That was very big money for a teenage defender in 2011. Probably only 5 or 6 clubs in the world paying those sorts of fees around then.

It seems his wages were relatively modest originally, though. It's only in recent years that the club have been doling out stupid money.

United are making a bad enough job of running the club themselves without people having to invent bolloks like this.... He was just inside the top 10 transfers in the league that Summer, Liverpool and Arsenal were in the running for him too. It was about the going rate for a young English emerging talent.
No idea what point you are trying to make?

magpie seanie

Quote from: HiMucker on October 17, 2019, 12:20:51 PM
Jones was signed for big money. £16.5 million up front, with talk that went past £20 million with add-ons. That was very big money for a teenage defender in 2011. Probably only 5 or 6 clubs in the world paying those sorts of fees around then.

It seems his wages were relatively modest originally, though. It's only in recent years that the club have been doling out stupid money.

United are making a bad enough job of running the club themselves without people having to invent bolloks like this.... He was just inside the top 10 transfers in the league that Summer, Liverpool and Arsenal were in the running for him too. It was about the going rate for a young English emerging talent.

Jordan Henderson is England captain and won a CL medal last year after years of ridicule from his own supporters. Every player can't be a Messi. Many players can be an important functional part of a top team in a role that's suited to their talents.

screenexile

Lol

Blackburn did some number on United there!!

Hound

Jones was a good buy at the time. Every bit as good a defender at that age as any English defender in recent times. Was compared to Adams in terms of being a warrior and leader. Was also capable of playing midfield (or so everyone thought).

Turned out he wasn't as good as all that, but I don't think anyone predicted that and any of the top 6 would have gladly signed him I'd say.

Now, talk of a recent contract upgrade would be a far more questionable decision!

quit yo jibbajabba

Was meant to be the new Terry.
Ok he hasnt been great but at 16mill id say theres been far worse deals united have done since..
Id say the sticking point is the huge wages a lot of these guys are in

brokencrossbar1

I think the question about Jones is that at the time to pay £16.5m for a 19 year old defender was unheard of. There was an expectation that he would become the John Terry type leader when in fact he has turned out to be quite hapless. Liverpool' were going hard for him at the time and I have to say I'm glad we dodged that one. Henderson has been grand but the signing of that summer that rankled most was Stewart Downing. Like what the f**k was that all about, bought to get balls on Carroll's head and barely got any assists. And don't get me started on Charlie Adams!  Made how things seemingly have changed.

Sunday united to win 2-1

NAG1

Quote from: laoislad on October 17, 2019, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 17, 2019, 12:28:53 PM

Jordan Henderson is England captain and won a CL medal last year after years of ridicule from his own supporters. Every player can't be a Messi. Many players can be an important functional part of a top team in a role that's suited to their talents.
Don't think he was ever ridiculed, certainly has had a critic or two but Henderson has always giving 100% which has always been appreciated.
I've always been a fan of his, personally I think him getting sent off at Anfield against City back in Rodgers time was the losing of the league title that season.

Bit of historical revisionism there LL he was ridiculed and bit of a target for Liverpool supporters in the early days, even as United fans we would have remembered that. No doubt he gives his all and is an asset in the current squad but he had to fight to get any recognition.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on October 17, 2019, 10:27:13 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 17, 2019, 10:12:12 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 17, 2019, 09:09:18 AM
So whats the likely line up for Sunday then.

DeGea out, Pogba out and AWB a doubt, Martial not match fit.

Romero
Young
Maguire
Lindelof
Dalot
McTominay
Matic
Pereira
James
Rashford
Linegard

Not much left after this really?

That side gets slaughtered by Liverpool. Solskjear will be under immense pressure come Monday morning if so.

Why is OGS going to be under pressure? He can't sign players between now and the weekend. Utd have very bad players so they're going to have really bad performances. OGS can do absolutely nothing about it.

Jose Mourinho was given the chop after a defeat to Liverpool. I see no reason why Solskjear shouldn't be under the same pressure if it happens. How can you say he can do nothing about it? I think I heard on radio (open to correction)....should things go against United this weekend, they could be in the relegation zone. If true, how can he be under anything but immense pressure - particularly if Tottenham get a win and the attention shifts back.

You can't keep saying we need new players to answer Manchester United's problems. A coach should have Plan B.....etc. Mourinho Plan B by and large was to try and get a goal in first ten catching opponents sleeping and shithouse the rest of the game which was successful at various points in his career. I'm not advocating Mourinho, to say that it's not the manager fault though seems a very large cop out.

Boycey

Ur fcukin stupid then, he was neither big money not on big wages. Good decent pro, might have worked for him had he not been a walking injury.... What is unforgivable is giving him a 150k a week at 26 when he needs moving on...

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on October 17, 2019, 01:00:52 PM

Ur fcukin stupid then, he was neither big money not on big wages. Good decent pro, might have worked for him had he not been a walking injury.... What is unforgivable is giving him a 150k a week at 26 when he needs moving on...

+1

HiMucker

Quote from: Boycey on October 17, 2019, 01:00:52 PM

Talking out both sides of your hole there I see. And you say I'm stupid ::)

Look-Up!

OGS is not fit to manage a big club. Utd need to get rid. This weekend's result is irrelevant. I actually think he may get some points because counter attacking may suit this team but it's only prelonging the inevitable.

gawa316

Was 16 odd million in 2011 not considered big money for a teenage defender?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: gawa316 on October 18, 2019, 06:24:39 AM
Was 16 odd million in 2011 not considered big money for a teenage defender?

Course it was.
Highest transfer fee paid for a premier league defender that summer (unless you count Ashley Young!).

Farrandeelin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 17, 2019, 12:50:57 PM
I think the question about Jones is that at the time to pay £16.5m for a 19 year old defender was unheard of. There was an expectation that he would become the John Terry type leader when in fact he has turned out to be quite hapless. Liverpool' were going hard for him at the time and I have to say I'm glad we dodged that one. Henderson has been grand but the signing of that summer that rankled most was Stewart Downing. Like what the f**k was that all about, bought to get balls on Carroll's head and barely got any assists. And don't get me started on Charlie Adams!  Made how things seemingly have changed.

Sunday united to win 2-1

You actually think Utd will have two shots?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.