Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 12:45:02 PM
O'Neill was throwing g his weight around again and he had went to talk to him.
McKauigue shoulda been booked a lot earlier for his off the ball shit on O'Neill

If oneill had been booked for every bookable offe ce he committed on and off the ball he wouldn't have made it through a half.

One in extra time, Derry had just won a free and he came up behind mguigan and wrapped 2 arms around his neck from behind. Clear yellow.

tbrick18

Quote from: smelmoth on May 15, 2023, 01:23:46 PM
Started reading through the post match comments but gave up.

Poor game and I thought we left a result behind. Morgan very lucky to get away without of the black card. Would point that for all those who think McGuigan gave him the run around should at least recognise that Morgan didn't start the game on McGuigan.

McGuigan, like Derry's top players was excellent.

Think the criticism of McKay (or Forker as he is sometimes called here) is harsh. He certainly didn't target McGuigan's fingers. There is a bit of grabbing going on there between 2 players. Not sure McKay does anything to instigate this that McGuigan doesn't. In the act of extricating themselves one player picks up a genuine knock. Nothing more for me.

Derry are hard to watch. Carry the ball out of defence 100% of the time. Never gamble. Dull to watch.

But you don't win back to back ulsters without having something about you and there is a lot of onfield leadership in that group. Typified by Glass. McGuigan and Rodgers are very good but Glass apart from the high fielding does very little flashy. But he doesn't make mistakes. Makes great decisions and always seems to in the right place. Top player and leader.

One last point. If there is a Derry fan reading thiswho screamed "what are you looking at" at an Armagh fan sitting about 5 rows in front of him well I was that Armagh fan and I was looking at you whilst contemplating if there would be any benefit in reporting you to the stewards. I was also concerned for your own mental health and marvelling at the wafer thin breadth of your vocabulary. The persistent use of the word "c*nt" probably takes practice. How else can you get to the "we are getting nothing from this c*nt" after less than 1 minute. Also the near constant references to Tyrone in a match between Derry and Armagh was concerning. I should say to everyone, none of this was whispered. All balled out at top volume and no little vehemence.

There's always o e lunatic.
I'd two Armagh "women" behind me who were at similar. Including shouting and swearing at kids for waving flags after scores. To be fair, even some other armagh supporters were telling them to be quiet.....

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 15, 2023, 01:47:59 PM

Poor game and I thought we left a result behind. Morgan very lucky to get away without of the black card. Would point that for all those who think McGuigan gave him the run around should at least recognise that Morgan didn't start the game on McGuigan.

Think the criticism of McKay (or Forker as he is sometimes called here) is harsh. He certainly didn't target McGuigan's fingers. There is a bit of grabbing going on there between 2 players. Not sure McKay does anything to instigate this that McGuigan doesn't. In the act of extricating themselves one player picks up a genuine knock. Nothing more for me.

Derry are hard to watch. Carry the ball out of defence 100% of the time. Never gamble. Dull to watch.

But you don't win back to back ulsters without having something about you and there is a lot of onfield leadership in that group. Typified by Glass. McGuigan and Rodgers are very good but Glass apart from the high fielding does very little flashy. But he doesn't make mistakes. Makes great decisions and always seems to in the right place. Top player and leader.

One last point. If there is a Derry fan reading thiswho screamed "what are you looking at" at an Armagh fan sitting about 5 rows in front of him well I was that Armagh fan and I was looking at you whilst contemplating if there would be any benefit in reporting you to the stewards. I was also concerned for your own mental health and marvelling at the wafer thin breadth of your vocabulary. The persistent use of the word "c*nt" probably takes practice. How else can you get to the "we are getting nothing from this c*nt" after less than 1 minute. Also the near constant references to Tyrone in a match between Derry and Armagh was concerning. I should say to everyone, none of this was whispered. All balled out at top volume and no little vehemence.

There's always o e lunatic.
I'd two Armagh "women" behind me who were at similar. Including shouting and swearing at kids for waving flags after scores. To be fair, even some other armagh supporters were telling them to be quiet.....
Plenty of ejits about lol

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on May 15, 2023, 12:30:49 PM
Delighted to get out of Clones with the win. Great occasion, plenty of colour and noise. A bit of history as well. Probably similar to last year - the nervous tense energy at the game, doesn't translate well to the TV audience.  Though yesterday's game was a better spectacle than the Donegal final.

At various times I thought we were in complete control. Rogers fisted effort off the post could've been the winning of the game. That would've have given Derry the 3pt cushion that might have killed the game at that point. But Armagh dominated for periods as well, especially round the middle. Thought it was game over when Armagh took the 2pt lead in second half injury time. Thankfully we clawed it back, or Armagh threw it away depending on your view point.

The penalties just added to the overall occasion.  The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact they were taken at the Eastern Stand end and not the O'Duffy terrace, where I was standing. I'm making the assumption that Glass won the toss an elected for that end as it seemed there was a majority of Derry fans behind that goal.

There was lot of unforced errors from Derry, especially at the start of the game.. Sloppy hand passes, and dropped balls, taking 2/3 attempts at picking it up when under no pressure at all, which they got away with as Armagh had initially dropped off.

Armagh brought a level of intensity throughtou that caused Derry a number of issues, they did appear to be laying a few traps, of seemingly no one pressuring the ball, then all of a sudden, they were all over the ball carrier. But the majority of the 'tackling' is borderline at best. Especially those swinging arm tackles. One that hasn't been mentioned yet, was one against McCloskey in the second half, he was definitely very annoyed at a hit on him. Free given, but it from my viewpoint, McCloskey felt it was a punch to the ribs.

Armagh troubled Derry at times with the kickout. But I never understand any team including Derry, handing possession and short kickouts too the opposition as soon as they go a couple of points up.  To me that is the time to hem them in and force them into further errors, and it was clear Armagh dropped off in the second half of extra time when they were leading.

Very happy with the way Derry contained the scoring threat of the Armagh forward line. 4/6 didn't score and only 4pts from play in total.  But Derry need to get more out of their bench in the upcoming group fixtures. What good is a panel, even a small one, if you don't trust players to do a job. Armagh used 21 players, Derry 18. Grugan was the only substituted player from Armagh to come back on. But Heron, Murray and Loughlin made a couple of appearances. And it sounds like McGrogan was due to come back on to take a penalty, but Derry ran out of time to make that substitution.

Thought Gough's performance was all over the place. Felt he favoured Armagh in the 50/50 calls, but realistically when he blew the whistle, you didn't know which way he was going to point. Plenty of over-carrying, but only remember one free given. Lynch was done on a kick-out for delaying too long, yet he didn't bother with the timings after that. Lynch pushed out over the line end and a 45 given. Almost happened again with Grugan's last kick. Gough opted for the throw up. No argument about Campbell's free, though he was looking for one, it was a free. You'd be fairly annoyed if you didn't get a free for that.

Just about got the victory, but still plenty to work on.

100%
Derry did not play well making unforced errors and didn't attack in the same way we had in other games. Perhaps that was the plan given the perceived prowess of the Armagh attack, but it felt like a lack of focus at times.
Perhaps fallout from the week gone by.

I was impressed by Armagh defensively, I didn't expect them to be as good in that regard but I also think that was partly because we didnt attack with 15 as often.
Armagh forwards are certainly no better than Derry's as was being widely touted before the game and Derry largely co trolled midfield.

All in all, I believe there's more left in Derry after that game than in Armagh. Glass, Rogers, Mcguigan, Mckaigue, mcevoy, mckinless all stood out for Derry with ethan doherty and Paul cassidy not able to impose themselves. Jarleth og I felt was probably armagh's best player over the whole game with Campbell very dangerous.

Hard to know how Derry will progress for the rest of the year. They should top their group even if not playing well so a semi final is not unrealistic expectations.

I'm sure Armagh will be trying the same.

yellowcard

Always a few lunatics at every game and they're not unique to any one county! Its all part of the atmosphere and it can be funny how some people get so worked up over what, at the end of the day is a game of football. The big county matches bring out the worst in some people and a lot of the times they're people who wouldn't know whether its pumped or stuffed.

I agree on Glass, he has this canny knack of sensing danger before it arrives and is one of the best defensive midfielders I've seen play the game he's the GAA equivalent of the Makelele role. He can also play and has also become a big leader, just an all rounder.

As for leaving Morgan on McGuigan, it was after Morgan moved onto him that McGuigan done most of his best work as the game wore on. Under pressure Morgans worst tendencies to foul resurface and it happened again yesterday late in the match.

lurganblue

All supporters round me were great tbh but there is always at least one "cnut"...

I was amazed Morgan didnt get a black card as he clipped the heels when he was turned and beaten.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 02:02:20 PM

Always a few lunatics at every game and they're not unique to any one county! Its all part of the atmosphere and it can be funny how some people get so worked up over what, at the end of the day is a game of football. The big county matches bring out the worst in some people and a lot of the times they're people who wouldn't know whether its pumped or stuffed.

I agree on Glass, he has this canny knack of sensing danger before it arrives and is one of the best defensive midfielders I've seen play the game he's the GAA equivalent of the Makelele role. He can also play and has also become a big leader, just an all rounder.

As for leaving Morgan on McGuigan, it was after Morgan moved onto him that McGuigan done most of his best work as the game wore on. Under pressure Morgans worst tendencies to foul resurface and it happened again yesterday late in the match.
Morgan probably wasn't fully fit hadn't played in a while. Always the silly fouls with him

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 02:02:20 PM

Morgan probably wasn't fully fit hadn't played in a while. Always the silly fouls with him

That could have been an issue, certainly last season was the first when I felt that he had cut out the needless fouling and he was a much better player for it. Playing for 100 minutes yesterday may have taken its toll late in the game given how little football he has played this season.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 09:38:45 AM
Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then should have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

The trip on McGuigan I didn't think was that big a deal to be honest. Looked as if his hand more brushed against his leg in an attempt to trip. Certainly didn't have a good grip of him or clobber his leg a la Peter Stringer. Morgan still being on McGuigan at that stage possibly the biggest indictment of Armagh management on the day.

11 min 55 seconds. Clear 2 hands in his back
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLv8ABONac&pp=ygUlYXJtYWdoIHZzIGRlcnJ5IGZ1bGwgbWF0Y2ggZXh0cmEgdGltZQ%3D%3D

Every ref will give a free for that however soft it might look. As others have said the real issue was Derry trying to kick an extremely hopeful score just before, needlessly giving possession away at a crucial time. I was also surprised in those last few minutes to see Rafferty booting the ball into a sea of bodies in the middle. However frenetic it was the lack of composure raises questions about both sides. Can add Rian O'Neill to that too in the build up to the free McGuigan kicked to level it at 0-17 to 1-14, running into McGuigan after it was awarded and trying to drag him down then throwing himself to the ground theatrically, only to be ignored by everyone  ;D.

jmk

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 12:42:04 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 12:37:43 PM
For me the biggest incorrect call was forcing armagh to retake the kick out after they won possession. Not sure why he did that but thought it gave Derry a chance to get possession back.
He spoke to someone for something off the ball, don't even think he booked them or anything ffs.
It was ridiculous to stop the play like that. He then spoke to someone for about 2 seconds.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jmk on May 15, 2023, 02:24:49 PM
For me the biggest incorrect call was forcing armagh to retake the kick out after they won possession. Not sure why he did that but thought it gave Derry a chance to get possession back.
He spoke to someone for something off the ball, don't even think he booked them or anything ffs.
It was ridiculous to stop the play like that. He then spoke to someone for about 2 seconds.

Had someone spoke to him first? Was everyone out of the square/D? Had he blown the whistle for the kick out to be taken? I was watching but those at the game could probably tell, those above would be the main reason to take it again.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2023, 02:41:49 PM
Quote from: jmk on May 15, 2023, 02:24:49 PM

Had someone spoke to him first? Was everyone out of the square/D? Had he blown the whistle for the kick out to be taken? I was watching but those at the game could probably tell, those above would be the main reason to take it again.

The D was defo all clear.  I was seated right across from it.  Not sure on the whistle as noise around me was pretty loud.  What i will say is that Rafferty didnt just place it and immediately hit it.

Wolfetones

Really strange take on the McKay incident. It starts with him nipping McGuigan on the chest, who tries to push the hand away, its then grabbed and twisted by McKay.

Wildweasel74

Could be worse, I had a drunken Derry lad just behind, was serious, with constant shouting to a rhytmn Armagh wankers. Had tell him a few times to cool it, but he that drunk am not sure he notice. We must picked up an awful of boo boys in the last year. The amount of booing from us since covid gone way up. Starting to think that Covid spell turned the general population into people with attitude

Milltown Row2

Nipping and griping peoples flesh is common enough in the sport unfortunately, grabbing and twisting fingers happens also. It wasn't a forearm into the face and a closeline tackle though when it happened it looked like he had been closeline/forearm to the head ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea