Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

One moment yesterday that showed a brilliant bit of defending but hasn't been talked about much with all the rest of the action.

Lynch came off his line and lost the ball. Armagh play a quick ball inside to Rian O'Neill in the hopes he can win possession and turn to an empty net. McKaigue holds him off and gets a hand to the ball, directing it out right to the corner out of harms way, although it did go out for a 45. A crucial touch and great bit of defensive play from McKaigue.

NotedObserver

Quote from: naka on May 15, 2023, 12:50:08 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 12:37:43 PM
For me the biggest incorrect call was forcing armagh to retake the kick out after they won possession. Not sure why he did that but thought it gave Derry a chance to get possession back.
derry scored from the retaken kickout a real poor call

mc guigans antics also were poor, in game he was lying as if shot then jumps up
the penalty antics even worse

thought rogers excellent as well as the derry keeper who takes a lot of criticism, still really dont see where the pundits have tyrone as the team out of ulster to win sam as i am sure Derry wouldnt fear them

Think the problem is Galway, Kerry and Dublin are looking for Derry/Tyrone/Armagh as a route to the final. At the moment Derry the best bet to beat one of them. Fair chance Tyrone could take a beating at the weekend

Armagh18

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 15, 2023, 12:51:13 PM
One moment yesterday that showed a brilliant bit of defending but hasn't been talked about much with all the rest of the action.

Lynch came off his line and lost the ball. Armagh play a quick ball inside to Rian O'Neill in the hopes he can win possession and turn to an empty net. McKaigue holds him off and gets a hand to the ball, directing it out right to the corner out of harms way, although it did go out for a 45. A crucial touch and great bit of defensive play from McKaigue.
Yeah he did really well although the ball in could have been better. Thought Lynch was ropey enough was almost caught a few times in possession and his kickouts were dodgy when we bothered pressing. Unreal for the penalties though obviously

Wildweasel74

McGuigan Antics, go watch the game, to watch the off the ball crap on him, 2 Armagh lads dragging him at 1 stage, Didn't see any Derry lads try to damage a man's fingers.

Armagh18

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 15, 2023, 12:53:10 PM
Quote from: naka on May 15, 2023, 12:50:08 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 12:37:43 PM
For me the biggest incorrect call was forcing armagh to retake the kick out after they won possession. Not sure why he did that but thought it gave Derry a chance to get possession back.
derry scored from the retaken kickout a real poor call

mc guigans antics also were poor, in game he was lying as if shot then jumps up
the penalty antics even worse

thought rogers excellent as well as the derry keeper who takes a lot of criticism, still really dont see where the pundits have tyrone as the team out of ulster to win sam as i am sure Derry wouldnt fear them

Think the problem is Galway, Kerry and Dublin are looking for Derry/Tyrone/Armagh as a route to the final. At the moment Derry the best bet to beat one of them. Fair chance Tyrone could take a beating at the weekend
How long is it since we played Kerry or Dublin in the championship? Would love a go at either of them. We have got to improve our game management, discipline and kickouts to have any hope. Few basic errors yesterday especially early on, could out down to nerves though

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 12:55:52 PM
McGuigan Antics, go watch the game, to watch the off the ball crap on him, 2 Armagh lads dragging him at 1 stage, Didn't see any Derry lads try to damage a man's fingers.
Oppostions best forward targeted by defenders? Never..... Rian was getting the same shit off McKauigue it is part and parcel lol

Wildweasel74

Derry if u come through right, will be lined up to play Dublin, currently, we know they are not strong enough up front.

naka

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 12:58:22 PM
Derry if u come through right, will be lined up to play Dublin, currently, we know they are not strong enough up front.
quarter finals could be tasty as some big teams going to be playing each other
would say tyrone, mayo roscommon and armagh could be the other 4

smelmoth

Started reading through the post match comments but gave up.

Poor game and I thought we left a result behind. Morgan very lucky to get away without of the black card. Would point that for all those who think McGuigan gave him the run around should at least recognise that Morgan didn't start the game on McGuigan.

McGuigan, like Derry's top players was excellent.

Think the criticism of McKay (or Forker as he is sometimes called here) is harsh. He certainly didn't target McGuigan's fingers. There is a bit of grabbing going on there between 2 players. Not sure McKay does anything to instigate this that McGuigan doesn't. In the act of extricating themselves one player picks up a genuine knock. Nothing more for me.

Derry are hard to watch. Carry the ball out of defence 100% of the time. Never gamble. Dull to watch.

But you don't win back to back ulsters without having something about you and there is a lot of onfield leadership in that group. Typified by Glass. McGuigan and Rodgers are very good but Glass apart from the high fielding does very little flashy. But he doesn't make mistakes. Makes great decisions and always seems to in the right place. Top player and leader.

One last point. If there is a Derry fan reading thiswho screamed "what are you looking at" at an Armagh fan sitting about 5 rows in front of him well I was that Armagh fan and I was looking at you whilst contemplating if there would be any benefit in reporting you to the stewards. I was also concerned for your own mental health and marvelling at the wafer thin breadth of your vocabulary. The persistent use of the word "c*nt" probably takes practice. How else can you get to the "we are getting nothing from this c*nt" after less than 1 minute. Also the near constant references to Tyrone in a match between Derry and Armagh was concerning. I should say to everyone, none of this was whispered. All balled out at top volume and no little vehemence.

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on May 14, 2023, 08:30:10 PM
Without reading back these are my initial raw assessments.

Firstly congratulations to Derry. Fully deserved winners. The rest of what I am going to say should not distract from that and hopefully won't be seen as sour grapes.

I have become disenfranchised by the game I grew up idolising.

The skills are no longer prioritised.

The man on man battles and getting the better of your direct opponent has disappeared in favour of systems.

Penalties are no way to end to a match particularly when there is no need.

The Ulster Championship should be starting today not ending. 

The fiasco over Pay Per View

All of it leaves a sour taste.

On the game itself both teams gave their all and I think both will still have a say in the championship. The mistake on the goal was crucial and allowed Derry to control the game.

In extra time Armagh fell back into old bad habits when the game was there to be won.

I felt Derry were better at their system and better tactically but Armagh had the (very slightly) more talented team.

McGuigan and Glass were class. O'Neill and Duffy likewise.

Gough had a good game but again referees need more help.

Derry should win their group. Two weeks time will be crucial for Armagh.
I as an Armagh man would agree with this assessment. It was there for Armagh and penalties are no way to end Gaelic football matches. Some of the comments here about Rian O'Neill missing one are way of the mark. Outstanding yesterday as was Glass and Mcguigan. Murnin looks like he was carrying an injury. After 9 years perhaps time for a new voice. But credit to Geezer considering what he took on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on May 15, 2023, 11:43:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2023, 09:29:38 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 15, 2023, 09:23:55 AM
What do you make of the call at the end of extra time when Gough decided it was a throw up.

I though that the Derry Keeper over carried the ball and then stood over it like he was protecting a ruck in rugby obstructing Armagh players from getting to it.

The genius that is Maurice Deegan on BBC said that both teams fouled the ball and that's why a throw up was given  :o

That was the end of normal time... it was overcarrying but after that they were all at the same thing and nothing was happening with the ball so a hop ball was fair enough.

One for MR2 there.
Could Gough have simply blown for full time whilst the ruck was forming or did he need to call a throw up ball to get it into open play before blowing for full time?

The ball was in play, he could have, as he was already over time, blown for time up, I'd have done it as there is nothing in the rules to say the ball has to be 'played' or otherwise when calling time.

On the incident no one was playing the ball and lads, not on purpose falling over the ball, bit of a stalemate and throwing the ball in was the correct thing.

As for the 'shove' handy free to give, not much in it and daft to give away.

The keeper wasn't (from what I can remember at the time) shouldered out over the line, more bundled over the line by momentum, if some one could throw that incident up it would give me a better view.

Still can't remember the clip, if on purpose a black card, if accidental then just a free, and if Gough seen it like that then that's what he felt, he's no skin in the game so not bothered as to who wins
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ghost

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 12:58:04 PM
Oppostions best forward targeted by defenders? Never..... Rian was getting the same shit off McKauigue it is part and parcel lol
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 12:58:04 PM

O'Neill deserved every bit of it purely for acting 'he-man' before and after the parade lol

Thought Big Glass was steady enough yesterday. Went about his work quietly but his catch in extra time to help win the the free for McGuigans equaliser (I think) was right from the top drawer. Real leadership when Derry needed it from him.

ClubScene13

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 12:58:22 PM

Is this definitely the way it is? Ie Group 3 winners in same half as Group 4 winners? I don't think I seen that mentioned anywhere I had assumed it was an open draw, but I could definitely be wrong.

Ghost

Had a wee a laugh to myself on the BBC commentary when Deegan was explaining why Gough blew Lynch up on the kickout, Phily McMahon replied  something along the lines of "maybe he does it because he likes the noise of the crowd whenever he does."  ;D

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 15, 2023, 01:26:32 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 14, 2023, 08:30:10 PM
Without reading back these are my initial raw assessments.

Firstly congratulations to Derry. Fully deserved winners. The rest of what I am going to say should not distract from that and hopefully won't be seen as sour grapes.

I have become disenfranchised by the game I grew up idolising.

The skills are no longer prioritised.

The man on man battles and getting the better of your direct opponent has disappeared in favour of systems.

Penalties are no way to end to a match particularly when there is no need.

The Ulster Championship should be starting today not ending. 

The fiasco over Pay Per View

All of it leaves a sour taste.

On the game itself both teams gave their all and I think both will still have a say in the championship. The mistake on the goal was crucial and allowed Derry to control the game.

In extra time Armagh fell back into old bad habits when the game was there to be won.

I felt Derry were better at their system and better tactically but Armagh had the (very slightly) more talented team.

McGuigan and Glass were class. O'Neill and Duffy likewise.

Gough had a good game but again referees need more help.

Derry should win their group. Two weeks time will be crucial for Armagh.
I as an Armagh man would agree with this assessment. It was there for Armagh and penalties are no way to end Gaelic football matches. Some of the comments here about Rian O'Neill missing one are way of the mark. Outstanding yesterday as was Glass and Mcguigan. Murnin looks like he was carrying an injury. After 9 years perhaps time for a new voice. But credit to Geezer considering what he took on.

Picked up the injury against Down. Wasn't even 50% yesterday and not sure how and why he wasn't subbed off earlier.