All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smort

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 12:59:50 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2023, 12:59:16 PM
And they have two senior championships? So surely one can have 16 clubs and the other can have 8 clubs along with their divisional sides.
Exactly. Whole thing is a joke tbh.
Kerins orahillys actually won this 16 team CLUB championship this year, and after East Kerry won the COUNTY championship, KOR went ahead to represent Kerry in the munster senior championship. The winner of this CLUB championship should be sent forward every year

Are there an equivalent CLUB intermediate and junior championship in Kerry?

rodney trotter

Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2023, 12:59:16 PM
And they have two senior championships? So surely one can have 16 clubs and the other can have 8 clubs along with their divisional sides.

Yeah club and County championship. 64 clubs in Kerry so they are fitting 56 clubs into 8 Divisional teams.

East Kerry was made up of 10 teams this year.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Ah Jesus, this is farcical stuff. I think there was an article on the42 explaining Kerry club system, I'll have to find it. Just so we're clear, there has never and never will be just club teams in Kerry Senior Championship. That's not the way it works and there is decades of tradition of teams like South Kerry, Shannon Rangers and others joining up and competing against the big boys. If you don't get it, that's fine but it works.

https://www.the42.ie/kerry-club-system-championship-5901512-Oct2022/

This is one piece on it. Can't find the older one I was talking about. Won't bore people with the details anyway.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

smort

Just looking at the kerry gaa website here and Rathmore finished 5th in Div 1 league  :o

https://www.kerrygaa.ie/fixtures-results/?compID=169395&leagueTable=y

smort

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 01:13:33 PM
Ah Jesus, this is farcical stuff. I think there was an article on the42 explaining Kerry club system, I'll have to find it. Just so we're clear, there has never and never will be just club teams in Kerry Senior Championship. That's not the way it works and there is decades of tradition of teams like South Kerry, Shannon Rangers and others joining up and competing against the big boys. If you don't get it, that's fine but it works.

This is one piece on it. Can't find the older one I was talking about. Won't bore people with the details anyway.

I think people are happy enough with the senior championship, do whatever you want. It's the intermediate and junior champions you are sending forward that is farcical

rodney trotter

Croke Park signed it off when Sean Kelly was president..

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: smort on January 16, 2023, 01:15:33 PM

I think people are happy enough with the senior championship, do whatever you want. It's the intermediate and junior champions you are sending forward that is farcical

Yes, but if we increase the number of club teams in Senior championship that will have a knock on effect at Intermediate and Junior? That's what needs to happen.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Armagh18

You aren't listening. No ones saying dont have the divisional teams, in fact I think its a great idea and would love to see it in Armagh, have spoke about it before to people. Doesn't change the fact that a separate championship should be played with 16 senior teams, send the winner to Munster then play intermediate with the next 16 and so on.

Armagh18

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 01:18:32 PM
Quote from: smort on January 16, 2023, 01:15:33 PM

Yes, but if we increase the number of club teams in Senior championship that will have a knock on effect at Intermediate and Junior? That's what needs to happen.
thats what everyone is saying anyway.

yellowcard

Nobody has an issue with the senior championship structure within Kerry, if that is what works for them then fine. However if a team that finished 5th in Division One is able to represent them at intermediate level outside their own county then it is fairly clear to me that their clubs have a distinctly unfair advantage. The roll of honour at junior and intermediate AI level would back this up. Yet the GAA do nothing about it. I don't know if the club players association is still a thing but they should be raising this issue in the interests of genuine intermediate and junior level sides. 

rodney trotter

I don't think league position is that big of issue to be honest. Many counties run League separate from championship.  Tyrone and a few counties take it more seriously and championship grading done on  league position.

clarshack

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 16, 2023, 11:25:29 AM
Quote from: ardtole on January 16, 2023, 10:51:05 AM
Kerry have a novice grade championship. In my opinion,  the winners of this should represent Kerry in the Munster junior championship. This competition could be regraded to the Junior championship.

The current sfc could stay the same. The current Intermediate championship regraded to senior b, and no progression to Munster competitions. The current Junior championship regraded to Intermediate and the winners of that represent Kerry in Munster Intermediate  competitions.

If Kerry want to keep their current structures which they should be allowed to then the above is exactly what should happen. Would leave it a much more level playing field than what is currently happening.

The Novice championship was renamed the Junior Championship around 2016. Firies won the Kerry Junior championship in 2022 while Fossa won the Kerry Premier Junior championship.

yellowcard

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2023, 01:31:36 PM
I don't think league position is that big of issue to be honest. Many counties run League separate from championship.  Tyrone and a few counties take it more seriously and championship grading done on  league position.

In isolation it doesn't tell the whole story but combine it with all of the other facts and then it paints a very unfair picture. In Armagh for example we have around 16 clubs in each grade and championship status is linked to League position. Therefore roughly 16 teams in each grade which means that the 17th best team and 33rd best team represents the county in the club provincial series. Maybe that is why our clubs regularly underperform at intermediate/junior grade, as it simply isn't a level playing field.

Austin Stacks in Kerry were in last years senior Munster club final and unless something changes there is a good chance that they will be in Croke Park for next years AI intermediate final. That is not a level playing field for genuine intermediate level sides.   

Redhand Santa

Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2023, 01:39:06 PM

In isolation it doesn't tell the whole story but combine it with all of the other facts and then it paints a very unfair picture. In Armagh for example we have around 16 clubs in each grade and championship status is linked to League position. Therefore roughly 16 teams in each grade which means that the 17th best team and 33rd best team represents the county in the club provincial series. Maybe that is why our clubs regularly underperform at intermediate/junior grade, as it simply isn't a level playing field.

Austin Stacks in Kerry were in last years senior Munster club final and unless something changes there is a good chance that they will be in Croke Park for next years AI intermediate final. That is not a level playing field for genuine intermediate level sides.

Tyrone probably as success as anyone in Ulster at intermediate and junior level and the system is the same as Armagh's. I don't think there is any issue at Ulster level.

Armagh18

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 16, 2023, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2023, 01:39:06 PM

Tyrone probably as success as anyone in Ulster at intermediate and junior level and the system is the same as Armagh's. I don't think there is any issue at Ulster level.
Yeah its probably our own issue rather than a grading one at Ulster, just dont have that strong of a club scene. Anyway irrelevant to the Kerry thing.