Sigerson

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 20, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It lacked the intensity that I remember from my days. When I went and there were no stands there was basically a baying mob along the sideline to add to the pressure. (Usually from one side but I'm biased  ;D).

It still wasn't a bad game. I didn't think UU played with much urgency when they were down. I always felt UU had better players than Queens (it's rare I remember that to not have been the case) over all the years I've known but Queens have always been better than the sum of their parts for whatever reason. UU should have way more sigersons over the years than they have.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Gold on January 11, 2023, 07:14:30 AM

Game was a good watch up to the last kick but it t isnt QUB v UUJ of the 2000s where every player is a household name/all ireland winner

Why is this the case? Are they still county players just that Ulster is in a relative lull or are there less county players in college? Or college students no longer making county?

DuffleKing

A number of counties in Ulster don't allow established players to play Sigerson any more.

Saffrongael

Quote from: toby47 on January 11, 2023, 08:21:50 AM
The commentary was the best but it was a nice treat to be sitting in front of the fire on a Tuesday in January watching a Sigerson cup match live. Hopefully Jerome keeps streaming the games.

Agree with the standard, nowhere near where it used to be. UU team would look far stronger if Canavan & Loughlin were named from the start and Connor Glass/Ethan Doc not available at the minute due to Glen's All Ireland Club run.

Does anyone have the full draw for the next round?

Is Glass a student ? What age is he ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

clarshack

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 11, 2023, 11:44:05 AM
The commentary was the best but it was a nice treat to be sitting in front of the fire on a Tuesday in January watching a Sigerson cup match live. Hopefully Jerome keeps streaming the games.

Agree with the standard, nowhere near where it used to be. UU team would look far stronger if Canavan & Loughlin were named from the start and Connor Glass/Ethan Doc not available at the minute due to Glen's All Ireland Club run.

Is Glass a student ? What age is he ?

I thought he owned a cafe?

LC

The definition of a student in UU has for a long time being differed to what everyone else thinks what it means.

toby47

I think Glass is around 25 now, done a few years in Oz so went to uni a bit later than most. Yeah he does own a coffee shop in Maghera.

skeog

The daddy of them all Jim Mc Guinness had more colleges than clubs in a golf bag.

square_ball

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 11, 2023, 11:19:05 AM

A number of counties in Ulster don't allow established players to play Sigerson any more.

Which established players weren't allowed to play last night? Genuine question as didn't think that was the case.

trailer

Quote from: LC on January 11, 2023, 11:54:42 AM
The definition of a student in UU has for a long time being differed to what everyone else thinks what it means.

Doubtful if it's an actual University.

DuffGael

Quote from: square_ball on January 11, 2023, 12:19:09 PM

Which established players weren't allowed to play last night? Genuine question as didn't think that was the case.
No Armagh players allowed to play.

Armagh18

Quote from: DuffGael on January 11, 2023, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: square_ball on January 11, 2023, 12:19:09 PM

No Armagh players allowed to play.
Really? Know Turbitt and couple of others were playing Sigerson last year. Not sure what other Armagh lads are at college these days anyway tbh.

Truth hurts

Quote from: trailer on January 11, 2023, 12:59:09 PM

QUB past players snobbery at it finest

trailer

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 11, 2023, 03:41:19 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 11, 2023, 12:59:09 PM

QUB past players snobbery at it finest

Truth hurts

Blowitupref

Tonights results

University of Galway 3-10 Maynooth University 1-6
ATU Sligo 4-6 MTU Kerry 0-12
UCC 0-10 UL 2-7
TU Dublin 1-13 ATU Galway 0-9

Round 2

ATU Sligo v St Mary's
University of Galway v UCD
Queens v DCU
TU Dublin v UL

The winners of those four games gets a bye into the Quarter finals

MTU Kerry v SETU Carlow
Maynooth University v MTU Cork
Ulster University v ATU Donegal
ATU Galway v UCC

The four winners there play the four losers from the above 4 matches in round 3. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose