Sigerson

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 20, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I'm assuming Armagh let Turbitt tear away with Queens, no sign of him v Dubs. One other Armagh lad playing with QUB as well - not sure if he's on Armagh panel, Hughes?

tiempo

Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2022, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: tiempo on February 02, 2022, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: skeog on February 02, 2022, 11:46:39 AM
Player welfare totally disregarded playing 2 games in 2 days on heavy pitches madness.Looking at some of the backroom teams its a gravy train for mentors one well known coach has 5 gigs on the go.

Same shit every year, needs clamped down on but there's a gravy train that needs grease to its wheels and the players are mere collateral, an absolute embarrassment and leadership in Croke should hang their head in shame

Leadership in Croke Park?

You're looking in the wrong place.

Let's presume that Conroe has a scholarship of some description with his college. If so, then he's pretty much bound in writing to representing his college in their elite competition. It's their time of year when they "own" him.

So if you want to blame someone, don't go after faceless bureaucrats.

Blame 1. Tommy Conroy for splitting his time like this, and 2. James Horan for demanding him to split his time like this.

Would rather presume there is no such written binding agreement associated with a scholarship, happy to be proved wrong. Can think of the case of a Dublin player who prioritised Dublins O'Bryne Cup over Sigerson as he didn't want to miss his opportunity to nail a spot on the Dubs 15, as far as I recall there was no recourse from the college

I'd agree Conroy and Horan need to share a portion of the responsibility here on the player welfare front but I'd also be very critical of Croke and GPA for standing by the status quo

shark

Quote from: tiempo on February 02, 2022, 03:16:44 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2022, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: tiempo on February 02, 2022, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: skeog on February 02, 2022, 11:46:39 AM
Player welfare totally disregarded playing 2 games in 2 days on heavy pitches madness.Looking at some of the backroom teams its a gravy train for mentors one well known coach has 5 gigs on the go.

Same shit every year, needs clamped down on but there's a gravy train that needs grease to its wheels and the players are mere collateral, an absolute embarrassment and leadership in Croke should hang their head in shame

Leadership in Croke Park?

You're looking in the wrong place.

Let's presume that Conroe has a scholarship of some description with his college. If so, then he's pretty much bound in writing to representing his college in their elite competition. It's their time of year when they "own" him.

So if you want to blame someone, don't go after faceless bureaucrats.

Blame 1. Tommy Conroy for splitting his time like this, and 2. James Horan for demanding him to split his time like this.

Would rather presume there is no such written binding agreement associated with a scholarship, happy to be proved wrong. Can think of the case of a Dublin player who prioritised Dublins O'Bryne Cup over Sigerson as he didn't want to miss his opportunity to nail a spot on the Dubs 15, as far as I recall there was no recourse from the college

I'd agree Conroy and Horan need to share a portion of the responsibility here on the player welfare front but I'd also be very critical of Croke and GPA for standing by the status quo

You are correct to presume this. And in Conroy's case (if he is indeed on a scholarship), the NUIG Sports Scholarship is €1,500 for the year. Hardly a fortune.

thewobbler

First up if a lad is getting a significant portion of his college fees wiped out just to play ball in a handful of matches a year, he'd be stark raving mad to put that in jeopardy. Binding contract or not.

——

But in terms of calendars, where do you draw the line?

I mean if a lad is talented and lucky enough to be part of successful club, county and sigerson teams, then if he won't prioritise those commitments, then short of playing competitions over a two year run, player welfare can't help him. There's just not enough weeks in the year. There's just not.

And if same lad is equally talented and demand in hurling, wtf is Croke Park really meant to do?

Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2022, 03:26:00 PM
First up if a lad is getting a significant portion of his college fees wiped out just to play ball in a handful of matches a year, he'd be stark raving mad to put that in jeopardy. Binding contract or not.

——

But in terms of calendars, where do you draw the line?

I mean if a lad is talented and lucky enough to be part of successful club, county and sigerson teams, then if he won't prioritise those commitments, then short of playing competitions over a two year run, player welfare can't help him. There's just not enough weeks in the year. There's just not.

And if same lad is equally talented and demand in hurling, wtf is Croke Park really meant to do?

Hit the nail on the head

DuffleKing

Quote from: bennydorano on February 02, 2022, 03:07:25 PM
I'm assuming Armagh let Turbitt tear away with Queens, no sign of him v Dubs. One other Armagh lad playing with QUB as well - not sure if he's on Armagh panel, Hughes?

Turbitt must be injured? Kelly, Crealey and the Killeavy O'Neill are also at Queen's.

Captain Obvious

Conor Glass not starting again tonight?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 02, 2022, 05:48:34 PM
Conor Glass not starting again tonight?
Just brought on now 40 minutes played.

Sides level 1-7 to 0-10

Goal for UU they lead by 3.

DCU 2-12 to 2-11 winners.  UU might have grabbed extra time after they were gifted a goal late on.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

square_ball

Terrible decision making by UU after the Canavan goal. Goalkeeper trying to be the hero.

tonto1888

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 02, 2022, 04:37:20 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 02, 2022, 03:07:25 PM

Turbitt must be injured? Kelly, Crealey and the Killeavy O'Neill are also at Queen's.

He has been playing for Queens. None of the others you mentioned have been from what I can see

Blowitupref

UL into the semi final with a 2-12 to 0-13 win over Queens. 2-3 for David Clifford.  Conor Turbitt with 9 of Queens scores.

Dublin, Limerick, Kerry and Galway colleges in the last 4.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

smort

Cruciate for Conroy. Real shame, outstanding player

Cunny Funt

The two semi finals (6pm and 730pm throw ins) live on YouTube this evening

https://youtu.be/iuQBs6S_MKU

smort

Ref played for a draw there. Although Tierney should have been doing better with that Galway free

Blowitupref

If NUIG lose this in extra they will be kicking themselves for not closing out that game when leading 0-11 to 0-6 against a 14 man MTU Kerry.  Very little stoppages not sure where officials got the 6 plus minutes of injury time?