Sigerson

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 20, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

MTU Kerry the first team into the semi finals with impressive 4-15 to 0-7 win over Maynooth.

In tonights other game NUIG 2-8 Letterkenny IT 1-8. A Tomo Culhane goal five minutes before the end proved key and won with 14 men for last 20 minutes
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2022, 03:35:22 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2022, 03:25:09 PM
I see it's UU (University of Ulster) which I now presume it now encompasses all campus' including Magee and Coleraine, is that right or do they still compete in their own right at a lower level?

Always thought it should contain the heap as they all fall under the same college, so I'd assume so. But I've ref'd the games with UUJ and Coleraine before in the leagues. I see from that page above it has UU and not UUJ

Is it not to do with the fact that the uni is moving from Jordanstown to the new site in the city centre?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 02, 2022, 02:36:56 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2022, 03:35:22 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2022, 03:25:09 PM
I see it's UU (University of Ulster) which I now presume it now encompasses all campus' including Magee and Coleraine, is that right or do they still compete in their own right at a lower level?

Always thought it should contain the heap as they all fall under the same college, so I'd assume so. But I've ref'd the games with UUJ and Coleraine before in the leagues. I see from that page above it has UU and not UUJ

Is it not to do with the fact that the uni is moving from Jordanstown to the new site in the city centre?

Possibly but the sports facilities and sports department is staying in Jordanstown I think.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 01, 2022, 03:45:10 PM
MTU Kerry the first team into the semi finals with impressive 4-15 to 0-7 win over Maynooth.

In tonights other game NUIG 2-8 Letterkenny IT 1-8. A Tomo Culhane goal five minutes before the end proved key and won with 14 men for last 20 minutes

Very worrying injury incurred by Tommy Conroy in first half of NUIG match. Could be of longer-term nature.

smort

Didn't see what happened or the extent of the injury but I have noticed the number of players double-jobbing as it were, is very high. I hope they are all being managed well between Uni and County but it can't help to be involved with both. Sigerson needs to be played before the National League starts

skeog

Player welfare totally disregarded playing 2 games in 2 days on heavy pitches madness.Looking at some of the backroom teams its a gravy train for mentors one well known coach has 5 gigs on the go.

bigtogs

Quote from: skeog on February 02, 2022, 11:46:39 AM
Player welfare totally disregarded playing 2 games in 2 days on heavy pitches madness.Looking at some of the backroom teams its a gravy train for mentors one well known coach has 5 gigs on the go.

You mean Managing 5 teams?

tiempo

Same shit every year, needs clamped down on but there's a gravy train that needs grease to its wheels and the players are mere collateral, an absolute embarrassment and leadership in Croke should hang their head in shame

thewobbler

Quote from: tiempo on February 02, 2022, 12:32:09 PM

Same shit every year, needs clamped down on but there's a gravy train that needs grease to its wheels and the players are mere collateral, an absolute embarrassment and leadership in Croke should hang their head in shame

Leadership in Croke Park?

You're looking in the wrong place.

Let's presume that Conroe has a scholarship of some description with his college. If so, then he's pretty much bound in writing to representing his college in their elite competition. It's their time of year when they "own" him.

So if you want to blame someone, don't go after faceless bureaucrats.

Blame 1. Tommy Conroy for splitting his time like this, and 2. James Horan for demanding him to split his time like this.

Rossfan

If ever any sporting activity should be pure amateur fun it's Third level football/hurling.
But of course it's long turned into semi pro (but players unpaid) ultra serious prestige stuff and that genie won't be going back.
Playing it as NFL/NHL gets up and running is crazy stuff altogether.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Take a lad like Sean Kelly or Matthew Tierney.
4 games in 9 days between Sigerson and NFL from last Sunday to next Monday inclusive.
Crazy.

Rudi

Quote from: galwayman on February 02, 2022, 01:27:11 PM
4 games in 9 days between Sigerson and NFL from last Sunday to next Monday inclusive.
Crazy.

The wife has a nephew on an u20 inter county development squad. He has Sigerson, club commitments too. Training / Games at moment is 5 to 6 times a week, he also does weights in his parents garage on the free nights. He had to give up his part time job, which was part funding his third level education. The man never stops. I worry about all this, can't see how players can do this medium to long term. He has no social outlet a part from his football & limited enough time in college.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rudi on February 02, 2022, 01:43:54 PM
Crazy.

The wife has a nephew on an u20 inter county development squad. He has Sigerson, club commitments too. Training / Games at moment is 5 to 6 times a week, he also does weights in his parents garage on the free nights. He had to give up his part time job, which was part funding his third level education. The man never stops. I worry about all this, can't see how players can do this medium to long term. He has no social outlet a part from his football & limited enough time in college.

Sure it keeps him out of trouble

toby47

Quote from: Rudi on February 02, 2022, 01:43:54 PM
Crazy.

Listen to Paudi Hampsey on todays BBC Social GAA Podcast. He openly says he loses out on income to play for Tyrone. He's a self employed personal trainer in his gym. He also mentions he didn't goto a yoga session on Monday after Monaghan game, presumably because he didn't want to miss another evenings work. It's happening all over the country.

shark

I was on a Sigerson panel for a couple of years. A while ago now. It was taken seriously , but certainly nothing crazy. I wasn't on a county panel , unlike approx 2/3 of our college panel. Their county managers treated them like pieces of meat. They just didn't seem to me like they enjoyed being inter-county players. I am generalising , as there were exceptions.