Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: JimStynes on May 17, 2023, 11:44:59 AM
You wouldn't want to be in an emergency to get to the Royal Hospital on a match day with 34k ppl trying to get there. But as someone has said, plenty of places in England manage to do it on a weekly basis. GAA people are too used to taking the car to places and 'thrownin her' up on the curb and dandering 5 mins to the game. Getting on the train to Casement, parking in City Centre and getting a bus, parking at the playing fields in Boucher etc. I am sure once Casement is built and after a few years of teething problems it'll all be straight forward. Not having a first class stadium in the 2nd biggest city in Ireland is embarrassing.

They need a plan before it opens, not several instances of chaos before they act.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NAG1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 17, 2023, 01:44:25 PM
You wouldn't want to be in an emergency to get to the Royal Hospital on a match day with 34k ppl trying to get there. But as someone has said, plenty of places in England manage to do it on a weekly basis. GAA people are too used to taking the car to places and 'thrownin her' up on the curb and dandering 5 mins to the game. Getting on the train to Casement, parking in City Centre and getting a bus, parking at the playing fields in Boucher etc. I am sure once Casement is built and after a few years of teething problems it'll all be straight forward. Not having a first class stadium in the 2nd biggest city in Ireland is embarrassing.

They need a plan before it opens, not several instances of chaos before they act.

IF this gets built a traffic management plan for big events will have to be submitted as part of the overall scheme.

Any number of park and ride car parks on the edges of Belfast which could be utilised.
It is right on a Glider route. Along with other public transport options.

general_lee

Anyone who commutes into and out of Belfast  knows that even the most minor of collisions or even just a breakdown in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong conditions can cause the the most drastic tailbacks right across the city. So unless the Westlink is overhauled and York St interchange is built, nothing will change, Casement or no Casement.

seafoid

The A5 and Casement discussions both started 13-14 years ago. Why were they both delayed? Is this a planinng or finance or governance issue? Does it reflect how things are done in the North or are there specific reasons relating to these 2 ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

I haven't seen it, but SURELY a feasible traffic management plan forms part of the planning application for this scale of a project?

There's no way they would have got planning without it?

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:13:48 PM
The A5 and Casement discussions both started 13-14 years ago. Why were they both delayed? Is this a planinng or finance or governance issue? Does it reflect how things are done in the North or are there specific reasons relating to these 2 ?

Ulster GAA are far from squeaky clean on the Casement farrago and I think a few curly haired Shinners didn't help along the way, not by delaying it put trying to push it through without due process and getting caught out.

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:13:48 PM

Lots of complex issues but we have a number of gobshites in key positions between Ulster GAA, Government and the Civil Service. Combined they are a formidable force.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on May 17, 2023, 01:54:06 PM
Anyone who commutes into and out of Belfast  knows that even the most minor of collisions or even just a breakdown in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong conditions can cause the the most drastic tailbacks right across the city. So unless the Westlink is overhauled and York St interchange is built, nothing will change, Casement or no Casement.

You do know there are worse with regards to traffic/road/rail networks in the UK hosting games of a bigger volume than Casement on a weekly bases?

We could spend a 1000 pages on looking at why it shouldnt be there and we could spend a 1000 pages on why it shouldnt be somewhere else.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

I've tried to keep coming back to this fact on this thread but somehow it keeps being missed.

The money is for Casement, there is no remit at this stage to go back and say no Casement doesn't suit any more, we will spend it elsewhere or start a new project.

So it is either build Casement and work out the issues or have no stadium. Simple as that.

clonian

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2023, 02:51:35 PM

You do know there are worse with regards to traffic/road/rail networks in the UK hosting games of a bigger volume than Casement on a weekly bases?

We could spend a 1000 pages on looking at why it shouldnt be there and we could spend a 1000 pages on why it shouldnt be somewhere else.

It's not a big issue in the long run. Set it up with trains and park & rides - buses and get the black taxis involved too. I think match goers will change attitudes pretty quickly if it gets you in and out in decent time.

6th sam

Can someone please explain to me why people think that a stadium that previously hosted 40k crowds when there was less infrastructure will struggle to cope with a 34k crowd once a year . It has two train stations within a 20 minute walk, and is close to arterial routes and a major hospital . It's less than an hour from most major towns in ulster and just over an hour from Derry and Dublin.
If the second largest city in Ireland can't have a stadium hosting more than 30k , there's something wrong . Many cities with smaller populations and infrastructure have large stadiums. Glasgow though a larger city , has 3 massive stadiums eg  60k plus every other week at Celtic Park at a much more challenging location .
Most people appreciate the concerns of local residents but the infrastructure argument makes little sense to me. The naysayers with a political agenda have been determined to block it from the start, but they are running out of road, literally .

general_lee

I don't know what point you're trying to make, I want Casement built ASAP - traffic congestion is so bad it's almost irrelevant in my view. Belfast is already one of the worst cities when it comes to traffic congestion. One report ranks it as 50th in the world, another has it as 5th in the UK and one even has it at 2nd.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on May 17, 2023, 05:19:04 PM

I don't know what point you're trying to make, I want Casement built ASAP - traffic congestion is so bad it's almost irrelevant in my view. Belfast is already one of the worst cities when it comes to traffic congestion. One report ranks it as 50th in the world, another has it as 5th in the UK and one even has it at 2nd.

THis started when people implied that getting parked at Casement would be a dawdle compared to Clones and I said that it wouldn't be a nirvana either, a small train once an hour is not going to make much difference. The seat in Casement will be much better when you get to it and of course it should be built.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Serious sense of entitlement - the nowadays people.  People who leave a game 10 mins early to "beat the traffic".  Wtf?

It's all about the fastness of society nowadays. The fast food restaurants. We need everything now now now.

If going to Clones, you'll be stuck in traffic, big deal. For an hour - take tea and a sandwich. Who cares if you have to wait an hour. Get over it.  You know the score.

Go to The Odessey - stuck in the car park for an hour afterwards. Who cares? Deal with it.

As I say, a sense of entitlement. If annoyed by it, stay at home and give the ticket to someone else ffs.

AustinPowers

Bring back  the railway vline to Clones.  Now , that would make  an enjoyable Ulster final day. Nobody   would care about  the roads  or parking then

It could happen! ;D