ARMAGH v ROSCOMMON (MARCH 16)

Started by Shrewdness, March 05, 2008, 11:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Who would ever have thought that this game could be labelled as a relegation dogfight, but that's exactly what it has now become.

Ros have only 1 point, but who  would have expected the Orchard County to only gather 2 points from games against Cavan, Westmeath and Monaghan.

Not much hope in Ros about getting anything from this game. Only taking 1 point from the 2 home games against Cork and Meath has put them under pressure, with only Cavan below them.

Uladh

From an armagh point of view on the bigger picture 3 games in there are quite a few positives so far but also quite a few worries. namely

lack of pace in the full bac line without mallon
the foul count at the back (has cost badly in all 3 games)
ak will obviousy play but shows no signs of being able to deal with any forward with any kind of offensive threat
the absence of a second consistent ball winner alongside mcgrane at midfield
lack of a creative influence from the half forward line
clarke's lack of form.

illdecide

Quote from: Uladh on March 05, 2008, 11:33:42 AM

From an armagh point of view on the bigger picture 3 games in there are quite a few positives so far but also quite a few worries. namely

lack of pace in the full bac line without mallon
the foul count at the back (has cost badly in all 3 games)
ak will obviousy play but shows no signs of being able to deal with any forward with any kind of offensive threat
the absence of a second consistent ball winner alongside mcgrane at midfield
lack of a creative influence from the half forward line
clarke's lack of form.

Correct Uladh. Armagh to sneak a 1 point win.

Armagh will not be getting to many medals this year but i do expect a big improvement for the championship as players get fitter and more time to recover from their injury's (i hope)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Midfield could be a horror show for us if McGrane gets a month or more and if Seamus O'Neill is back for Ros.  Hopefully Vernon will be fit enough to play, but I certainly hope they are not going to throw him in directly against a big hoor like O'Neill.

Uladh

I'm not sure Illdecide. i would consider armagh very capable of winning the ulster championship this year and if they can reach and maintain that standard then all you need is the bit of luck thereafter.

McGrane's bound to get a month for striking surely? i had forgotten that and midfield will be a problem without him. time for the gasuns to step forward and stake a claim. i think O'Neill is the answer myself and certainly has the natural height. what is the story with loughran?

with maughan running them, you can be damn sure roscommon will be v fit at least.

High Catch

Who will be captain during McGranes suspension?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: High Catch on March 05, 2008, 12:00:11 PM
Who will be captain during McGranes suspension?

I think it should be Ciaran McKeever
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 05, 2008, 11:16:16 AM
Not much hope in Ros about getting anything from this game. Only taking 1 point from the 2 home games against Cork and Meath has put them under pressure, with only Cavan below them.

True, however when the Division 2 draw was made, not too many rossies expected any points from the Monaghan, Meath, Cork or Armagh games. In truth we would of targeted the Westmeath and Cavan games as must win if we had any chance of staying up.

In saying that I dont think Armagh are the force they were a few years ago but still a formidable outfit. I'd say ultimately Ros to give a good account of themselves(again) but just to come up short by a few points. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Uladh

:D sure you do. are you still boycotting the county games pints?

I think Joe had Stevie as captain a few times in McKenna cup and that when McGeeney and McGrane were missing? Moriarty was captain for the McKenna cup this year.

pintsofguinness

Quote:D sure you do. are you still boycotting the county games pints?
I do, I think he's a perfect example to the young of the county and I haven't attended any county games this year - I was in Keeley park sunday.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

Aidan O'Rourke has to be the automatic choice for captain and it illustrates how much we are struggling that he has been the major find of the year. However I still have great expectations that the great Orange hope that is Charles Vernon will be the 'find of the year' at midfield.

Shortso79

Due to timing of the maches - McGrane should only miss the Roscommon match - he should be back for the mighty dubs match on Sunday 30 March 2008

mackers

Of course the flip side to your point Donagh is that Kernan was letting personalities getting in the way of putting the best Armagh team on the field over the last couple of years. It's no mystery that he's an excellent CHB and has been for donkeys. One of the best performances of an  Armagh team was our QF win over Laois in Croker in 2005 with Aidan at CHB.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI think it should be Ciaran McKeever

I agree.

Big game for Armagh, if we don't get the 2 points, Division 3 is a distinct posiibility. There's been some positives to take from all 3 matches but I wouldn't be at all confident. Agree that Clarke hasn't been showing great form but I suppose its only to be expected after the time he's missed. Anyone know how fit Stevie is? Showed well in patches on Sunday so hopefully he's regaining a bit of form.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Throw ball

Does anyone know when the U21s play? If it the day before the Roscommon game Toner may be missing too!