Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Corby already says Labour won't frustrate the triggering of article 50. He could be in difficulty with many of his own party there.

No wides

Quote from: maddog on January 24, 2017, 10:08:37 AM
Corby already says Labour won't frustrate the triggering of article 50. He could be in difficulty with many of his own party there.

A logical individual would think that but given the mass numpties who keep Corby in, I think he''ll be there until he wants to quit.

seafoid

If he doesn't oppose it he'll still be in trouble
The country is split down the middle

Franko

I don't think Corbyn wields a big enough stick to make that sort of statement.  I can see Labour MP's going on a solo run with this one and it being the final straw for Corbyn's leadership.

johnneycool

Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2017, 10:48:34 AM

I don't think Corbyn wields a big enough stick to make that sort of statement.  I can see Labour MP's going on a solo run with this one and it being the final straw for Corbyn's leadership.

Corbyn and Labour are fucked either way on this as it look a lot of labour voters to get brexit passed in their heartlands.

Rossfan

The only opposition to the Bill in Westminster will be SNP, Lib Dems and SDLP - 70?.
Rest will vote for it or abstain.
Hopefully enough of the 62% of Scots will now vote for Independence seeing as their Parliament will have no say.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

No wides

UK won't give Scotland another vote for independence, they had one and bottled it.

haranguerer

He can't oppose a referendum result ffs - regardless of their own views nor can most MPs.

The DUP are the only ones who can get away with going against the will of the place they're supposed to represent.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on January 24, 2017, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2017, 10:48:34 AM

Corbyn and Labour are fucked either way on this as it look a lot of labour voters to get brexit passed in their heartlands.
I don't think Brexit is going to work. Labour need to take a longer view.
It might kill the Tories

"Liam Fox has called the laws that protect rights at work "intellectually unsustainable", and Priti Patel said employment regulations should be halved.

After May's speech last week , Carlos Ghosn said Nissan would have to review the competitiveness of its site after a Brexit deal had been implemented.
Its future had appeared assured after the firm committed to begin production of more than 600,000 cars a year after receiving a "letter of comfort" from business secretary Greg Clark in October.

The MPs tell May that resorting to WTO tariffs would be devastating. "These would include 10% on cars, 12% on many items of clothing, and 40% on lamb. British manufacturers and farmers would face being priced out of their most important market, which buys 44% of all our exports. Businesses large and small in our constituencies would suffer, jobs would be lost and prices in the shops would rise." They add: "Working people, including millions who voted to Leave the EU, would pay the price. Your government has a mandate to take us out of the EU but you have no mandate to do this.""

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/leave-vote-labour-brexit-referendum-result

maddog

Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2017, 10:59:06 AM

He can't oppose a referendum result ffs - regardless of their own views nor can most MPs.

The DUP are the only ones who can get away with going against the will of the place they're supposed to represent.

And the SNP what will they do ? I think they are entitled to oppose it as the goal posts have since shifted. The referendum was about leaving the EU and the tories/out campaigners mantained that they could do this while remaining in the single market. Now its out lock stock and barrel. Different ball game in my view.

armaghniac

Quote from: maddog on January 24, 2017, 11:35:59 AM
And the SNP what will they do ? I think they are entitled to oppose it as the goal posts have since shifted. The referendum was about leaving the EU and the tories/out campaigners mantained that they could do this while remaining in the single market. Now its out lock stock and barrel. Different ball game in my view.

Unfortunately, I think the SNP are banjaxed, being between the devil (to their south) and the deep blue sea.  In the previous referendum they could have joined at least the EEA and had little disruption to trade with England. Now leaving with a view to remaining in the EU might well lead to customs issues with England, with makes up a large part of their trade, and while NI might manage some special status they will be plugged into England directly. The only thing that would help would be a clarity that NI didn't need a special status in that cross border trade would not be affected anyway, but previous statements to this effect have been lies.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 24, 2017, 12:14:35 PM

Unfortunately, I think the SNP are banjaxed, being between the devil (to their south) and the deep blue sea.  In the previous referendum they could have joined at least the EEA and had little disruption to trade with England. Now leaving with a view to remaining in the EU might well lead to customs issues with England, with makes up a large part of their trade, and while NI might manage some special status they will be plugged into England directly. The only thing that would help would be a clarity that NI didn't need a special status in that cross border trade would not be affected anyway, but previous statements to this effect have been lies.
They have other problems like the oil price and RBS as well

haranguerer

I think your first sentence is separate to the rest? The SNP will oppose it certainly, and they have that mandate.

Many of the labour individual MP's dont, and as an english representative party they can't be seen to go against the result of a referendum. If they were able to get an angle somehow, then perhaps they could call for another referendum or something, but I don't think any angle has appeared thusfar that would allow them to do that.

maddog

Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2017, 12:30:20 PM

I think your first sentence is separate to the rest? The SNP will oppose it certainly, and they have that mandate.

Many of the labour individual MP's dont, and as an english representative party they can't be seen to go against the result of a referendum. If they were able to get an angle somehow, then perhaps they could call for another referendum or something, but I don't think any angle has appeared thusfar that would allow them to do that.

Thats what i was getting at with the single market issue, maybe its not enough.

haranguerer

Lords is the only hope!

Be some sign off for them.