Westmeath v Armagh (Sat 08.07.17) Cusack Park, 7pm

Started by illdecide, June 26, 2017, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Sure we don't even know what this outrageous behaviour was. We have two witnesses here but all we have from them is that Westmeath subs showered unsuspecting supporters with water and objects. Strange that they would put that information out there but not what proceeded it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DuffleKing

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on July 27, 2017, 10:26:18 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 10:15:12 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on July 27, 2017, 10:07:53 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: you take er! on July 26, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
What's the story with ye Westmeath men?? You don't come out to support your county at home then you criticise Armagh for daring to travel in numbers (took over the ground was the quote I think) you slate us for contributing to the local economy, (how dare we) and then when your subs fire water bottles at our supporters we again come off badly!! I would suggest your county delegates should be more concerned about getting your own supporters to games and finding players who can put the ball over the bar. Worst case of sour grapes I've heard in a long time.

Interesting perspective, thanks for your kind suggestions, duly noted and much appreciated.

Didn't witness any aggression on the terrace but then again I was more concerned with the unchecked aggression on the field and on the sideline. Can't ever remember Gardai having to intervene in the stands before in Cusack Park, make of that what you will.

Surely Gardai felt the need to step in on this occasion if Subs were firing objects at fans like what has been claimed? Found it a very strange and sour grapes from Westmeath tbh

Only mention of "subs were firing objects at fans" came from a fella with 77 posts on gaaboard. Make of that what you will.

Well, I have 1636 posts and it happened....

Tell us more so as to what went on Gs Man. Full background and events leading up to it please.

Westmeath subs engaged in verbals with some clown like armagh supporters throughout the second half. I appreciate it takes quite a large amount of discipline to ignore your teammates being Allen names and denigrated but Jesus Christ why would you get involved. The armagh salabbers were actually in the 50/60s age range and I know them to see. Hard core, go to everything, know nothing loud mouths. We all have them.

Things got very heated in the last few minutes with the game in the balance and mistakes galore and the mouthing in both directions escalated. When armagh scored the goal and had it won the head the balls were gloating at the Westmeath subs and water was sprayed back in their direction. Obviously a load of people in the area were soaked. One water bottle was thrown and hit a supporter on the shoulder - a supporter nothing to do with the verbals inevitably.

Supporters should not abuse players but we all know how that goes. Every team has clowns and I've often enough told our own and others to mind their language or watch their mouth. Rarely stops it for more than a few minutes. There were plenty telling these 3/4 'supporters' to shut their mouths.

Players are heavily emotionally invested and are only human - have to say I couldn't see myself biting in that scenario personally but know plenty who would. I think players should know better.

Orior

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 27, 2017, 04:00:58 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on July 27, 2017, 10:26:18 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 10:15:12 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on July 27, 2017, 10:07:53 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2017, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: you take er! on July 26, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
What's the story with ye Westmeath men?? You don't come out to support your county at home then you criticise Armagh for daring to travel in numbers (took over the ground was the quote I think) you slate us for contributing to the local economy, (how dare we) and then when your subs fire water bottles at our supporters we again come off badly!! I would suggest your county delegates should be more concerned about getting your own supporters to games and finding players who can put the ball over the bar. Worst case of sour grapes I've heard in a long time.

Interesting perspective, thanks for your kind suggestions, duly noted and much appreciated.

Didn't witness any aggression on the terrace but then again I was more concerned with the unchecked aggression on the field and on the sideline. Can't ever remember Gardai having to intervene in the stands before in Cusack Park, make of that what you will.

Surely Gardai felt the need to step in on this occasion if Subs were firing objects at fans like what has been claimed? Found it a very strange and sour grapes from Westmeath tbh

Only mention of "subs were firing objects at fans" came from a fella with 77 posts on gaaboard. Make of that what you will.

Well, I have 1636 posts and it happened....

Tell us more so as to what went on Gs Man. Full background and events leading up to it please.

Westmeath subs engaged in verbals with some clown like armagh supporters throughout the second half. I appreciate it takes quite a large amount of discipline to ignore your teammates being Allen names and denigrated but Jesus Christ why would you get involved. The armagh salabbers were actually in the 50/60s age range and I know them to see. Hard core, go to everything, know nothing loud mouths. We all have them.

Things got very heated in the last few minutes with the game in the balance and mistakes galore and the mouthing in both directions escalated. When armagh scored the goal and had it won the head the balls were gloating at the Westmeath subs and water was sprayed back in their direction. Obviously a load of people in the area were soaked. One water bottle was thrown and hit a supporter on the shoulder - a supporter nothing to do with the verbals inevitably.

Supporters should not abuse players but we all know how that goes. Every team has clowns and I've often enough told our own and others to mind their language or watch their mouth. Rarely stops it for more than a few minutes. There were plenty telling these 3/4 'supporters' to shut their mouths.

Players are heavily emotionally invested and are only human - have to say I couldn't see myself biting in that scenario personally but know plenty who would. I think players should know better.

We should identify the clowns to the Armagh county board and band them for a year or two.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owen Brannigan

From the Indo.........

It is understood, too, that some delegates in particular at the Westmeath board meeting were trenchant in their criticism of some Armagh followers, with words such as "aggressive" and "horrendous" being employed at the meeting.

Indeed, Coralstown-Kinnegad delegate Joe Keeffe stated that the abuse referee Padraig O'Sullivan received was "nothing short of scandalous".
He added: "It's an education to Westmeath fans to see the sort of abuse you can give referees and get away with it.

"It was frightening.

"There were 4,000 Armagh fans and only a thousand Westmeath supporters.

"They completely took over Cusack Park and intimidated everyone that was there."
Westmeath football committee chairman Dermot Fox suggested that some of the Armagh supporters had arrived early in the town and had visited the local hostelries. "By the time they got to the ground, they were inebriated," he claimed.

T Fearon

Looks like we have got our very own Orange Brigade.I said previously I thought a lot of Armagh supporters were obnoxious that evening.It seemed to start with Jamie's Black Card (which was merited) and got progressively worse.There was also a distinctly sneering "we have more fans than you" condescending attitude among a sizeable portion of Armagh fans.

We do have a "summer fan" base that grows if we make a bit of progress,who relish a road trip and a few bevvies.We could be doing without this.Now we will be scrutinised microscopically in Croke Park on Saturday and from now on.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 27, 2017, 09:02:32 PM
From the Indo.........

It is understood, too, that some delegates in particular at the Westmeath board meeting were trenchant in their criticism of some Armagh followers, with words such as "aggressive" and "horrendous" being employed at the meeting.

Indeed, Coralstown-Kinnegad delegate Joe Keeffe stated that the abuse referee Padraig O'Sullivan received was "nothing short of scandalous".
He added: "It's an education to Westmeath fans to see the sort of abuse you can give referees and get away with it.

"It was frightening.

"They completely took over Cusack Park and intimidated everyone that was there."
Westmeath football committee chairman Dermot Fox suggested that some of the Armagh supporters had arrived early in the town and had visited the local hostelries. "By the time they got to the ground, they were inebriated," he claimed.
Canton Caseys, Annebrook Hotel and the Greville were delighted with the Armagh supporters

David McKeown

It was a sorry saga in which no one covers themselves in glory. The vocal minority of Armagh whose language and behaviour was disgraceful, the Westmeath bench whose behaviour was equally disgraceful and the stewards and gardai who dealt poorly with the developing situation.

Worst of all though is the County delegates to drum it all up again in such a public, one sided manor weeks after the event. Exactly what does this achieve at this stage?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tippabu

Every county has their fair share of lunatics...from my trip to Armagh and theirs to thurles can't say I came across anything but a good crowd.

Orior

From the Indo.........

"It was frightening.

I was in the town end of the Stand, and was surrounded by gentleman, and tasty women. Not one inebriated person about.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tippabu

Quote from: Orior on July 27, 2017, 11:15:38 PM
From the Indo.........

"It was frightening.

I was in the town end of the Stand, and was surrounded by gentleman, and tasty women. Not one inebriated person about.

They were probably talking about you...the rest were grand;)