Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Jackie Brown probably my favourite out of them all.

shark

Saw 'Once Upon a Time...." last night.
Can absolutely understand why many people won't like it. As stated above, the story line is rather thin, even though it is loosely based on a true story.
It is extremely slick, and the acting is superb. It definitely dragged at times, mostly while developing Di Caprio's character. Last 30 mins was excellent, and wasn't what I expected.
Overall, it won't be remembered in the top 50% of his films.

Esmarelda

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2019, 09:32:42 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 22, 2019, 07:56:13 AM
Some of Tarantino's movies have to be the most overrated in history.

I would agree.  Although there are some like True Romance that seem to be underrated.
He didn't direct True Romance.

JimStynes

Quote from: lurganblue on August 22, 2019, 09:19:11 AM

Which ones?  Not everything he touches is golden of course and some dont get very good reviews at all i would say.

I really don't get the love that Pulp Fiction gets. I've watched it a few times over the years and I don't get why it's seen as a cult classic and the masterpiece that people make it out to be. It's ok just imo. Kill Bill as well, pure shite. Inglorious Bastards didn't do it for me either. I maybe just don't like his style of film making.

Shawshank, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Godfather etc are movies that I would put up there as masterpieces.

Tony Baloney

Shawshank and The Godfather in the same list?!  :o

Shawshank is the most over-rated film imo. The Ed Sheeran of movies.

lurganblue

Quote from: JimStynes on August 22, 2019, 10:55:23 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 22, 2019, 09:19:11 AM

Which ones?  Not everything he touches is golden of course and some dont get very good reviews at all i would say.

I really don't get the love that Pulp Fiction gets. I've watched it a few times over the years and I don't get why it's seen as a cult classic and the masterpiece that people make it out to be. It's ok just imo. Kill Bill as well, pure shite. Inglorious b**tards didn't do it for me either. I maybe just don't like his style of film making.

Shawshank, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Godfather etc are movies that I would put up there as masterpieces.

For me Pulp Fiction deserves every bit of praise that comes it's way.  A remarkable film with unforgetable characters and dialogue.  Reservoir dogs deserves high praise too.  Kill Bill I was just ok and part II was forgettable.  I do love a good war movie and Inglorious certainly isnt one of them.

I also thought Jackie Brown, Django and the Hateful 8 were all top class films.  Certainly it's all about opinions and i can see how his style wouldnt be for everyone.

JPGJOHNNYG

Pulp fiction and reservoir dogs were great. Jackie brown was enjoyable. Kill Bill was ridiculous but somehow worked. Django was utter shite. Inglorious bstards had an amazing opening 10 mins and then was utter shite. Hateful eight promised much but ended up being shite. Seems to be a pattern over the last 15 -20 years or so with his films so I'm not expecting much.

nrico2006

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2019, 09:50:24 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2019, 09:32:42 AM

I would agree.  Although there are some like True Romance that seem to be underrated.
He didn't direct True Romance.

Still his film.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

He's an acquired taste I get that but much prefer the earlier stuff he did.

All the movies he was involved in up until Death Proof are excellent and iconic in their own way.

Inglorious Basterds/Hateful 8 and Once upon a time are not his best work while I really enjoyed Django. Film is one of those things that's hard to please everyone and he's at a stage in his career where he can put whatever he wants on screen without being dictated to so it's hard for him not to indulge himself.

Will be interesting to see if he does his final movie that's supposed to tie everything together. The movies I don't like wouldn't be crap per se they're just not for me hopefully I enjoy the next one better!

NAG1

From Dusk til Dawn anyone  ;D ;D ;D

screenexile

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2019, 11:08:58 AM
Shawshank and The Godfather in the same list?!  :o

Shawshank is the most over-rated film imo. The Ed Sheeran of movies.
Most definitely but I still like it and could watch it once every 5 years.

BennyCake

Shawshank is a masterpiece.

Never seen The Godfather, and have no desire to.

Tarantino is a vastly overrated director.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on August 22, 2019, 06:44:13 PM

That's a hat trick of own goals.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2019, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 22, 2019, 06:44:13 PM

That's a hat trick of own goals.
;D