Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2019, 12:39:45 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2019, 08:43:47 PM
Enjoyed The Irishman, but prob 30-45 mins too long. Best DeNiro has been in years and years.
I have to wait until Nov 22. The book is excellent.
Did the film venture into the murky waters of the Mafia setting up the hit against JFK as the book gave account to? with Sheeran supplying the weapons for the 'hit' plus motive as he saw it, plus his accounts of Jack Ruby hobnobbing regularily with the highest echelons of the Buffalino family.
There is a section (and a running thread) about ties to the Kennedy family (Joe, Jack and Bobby), election "assistance" and Cuba.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ballinaman on November 10, 2019, 08:44:29 AM
Enjoyed The Irishman, but prob 30-45 mins too long. Best DeNiro has been in years and years.
Was going to go but saw the run time and thought f**k that, life's too short !
I would say the run time is directly related to it's final home on Netflix.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2019, 10:04:57 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2019, 12:39:45 AM
I have to wait until Nov 22. The book is excellent.
Did the film venture into the murky waters of the Mafia setting up the hit against JFK as the book gave account to? with Sheeran supplying the weapons for the 'hit' plus motive as he saw it, plus his accounts of Jack Ruby hobnobbing regularily with the highest echelons of the Buffalino family.
There is a section (and a running thread) about ties to the Kennedy family (Joe, Jack and Bobby), election "assistance" and Cuba.
But not taking it further to connecting mafia ire with that fateful day in Dallas?

Harold Disgracey

Just back from watching The Irishman. Absolutely superb, DeNiro, Pacino and especially Joe Pesci were brilliant. Look forward to watching it again on Netflix.

Jeepers Creepers

Dolomite is my name on Netflix wasn't to bad. Quite entertaining in places being based on a true story. Eddie Murphy is a class act in it.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 10, 2019, 11:07:31 PM
Just back from watching The Irishman. Absolutely superb, DeNiro, Pacino and especially Joe Pesci were brilliant. Look forward to watching it again on Netflix.

Went to see it last night. Long running time soon went in....really enjoyed it. Totally agree....these 3 can still pull it off.

Main Street

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 11, 2019, 08:34:08 AM
Dolomite is my name on Netflix wasn't to bad. Quite entertaining in places being based on a true story. Eddie Murphy is a class act in it.
A very enjoyable film and Eddie Murphy's performance was the film. The Front Page cinema scene was a stand out.

trileacman

Thought The Irishman was pure shite. Didn't like it at all. Over long, not a compelling story and little if anything in the way of character development.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

Quote from: trileacman on November 14, 2019, 11:29:53 PM
Thought The Irishman was pure shite. Didn't like it at all. Over long, not a compelling story and little if anything in the way of character development.

Nowhere near as good as goodfellas. It will still probably get loads of oscars.

BennyCake

I won't be in a hurry to see it because of De Niro. He is a brutal actor. I struggle to remember a movie he was good in.

Eamonnca1

Damned if I know why Jackie Brown got such a high score. All I saw was people sitting in diners talking, plus a bit of half interesting action near the end.

lurganblue

Went to see The Irishman last night.  First off, I have read the book "I heard you paint houses" and I was very excited for this film.  A word to the wise, don't bring your lady friend to see it... they wont thank you for it.  It's slow and it is too long.  It's the first time in quite a while that I have seen people get up and leave half way through or even just fall asleep.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed the acting.  I enjoyed seeing these legends back on screen and interacting again in a mobster film.  I enjoyed seeing the story I had read come to life.  Yes, it is certainly no Goodfellas.

The killing scenes are quick, cold and brutal. Fascinating.

On a side note I thought Stephen Graham was excellent again.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2019, 12:47:16 AM

I won't be in a hurry to see it because of De Niro. He is a brutal actor. I struggle to remember a movie he was good in.
In fairness, you didn't say he wasn't good in any films, but the struggle must go on.

ziggy90

Quote from: lurganblue on November 17, 2019, 08:24:17 AM
Went to see The Irishman last night.  First off, I have read the book "I heard you paint houses" and I was very excited for this film.  A word to the wise, don't bring your lady friend to see it... they wont thank you for it.  It's slow and it is too long.  It's the first time in quite a while that I have seen people get up and leave half way through or even just fall asleep.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed the acting.  I enjoyed seeing these legends back on screen and interacting again in a mobster film.  I enjoyed seeing the story I had read come to life.  Yes, it is certainly no Goodfellas.

The killing scenes are quick, cold and brutal. Fascinating.

On a side note I thought Stephen Graham was excellent again.

I haven't seen The Irishman so can't comment on it but there can't be many better actors around. Everything he does is excellent. I watched a film recently called the The Man with the Iron Heart in which he played Himmler, again top-notch.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2019, 12:47:16 AM

Meet The Fockers has to be right up there.