The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Can I just add to the above and remind all Harps people that membership is due and should be paid before 1st March to any Committee Member or behind the bar in the Club.

Unfortunately, due to the rising costs in running the extensive operation that is the modern day Armagh Harps, it has been necessary to increase membership fees with effect from 1st January 2008. The new fees are;

Full/football - £25

10 Year Full/Football - £200 (includes free entry to Harps matches in Abbey Park over the ten year period)

Social - £15

Youth - £10

Honorary/OAP - Free.

One last message tonight and that is to wish all the best to the new Harps Senior Management team. The team is led by Uncle Stumps and includes Tootsie McConville and John Lavery. The management have already met the Senior squad and training began last week-end.

Good luck to all concerned for the new season!!   ;)

stew

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 13, 2008, 01:25:13 AM
Can I just add to the above and remind all Harps people that membership is due and should be paid before 1st March to any Committee Member or behind the bar in the Club.

Unfortunately, due to the rising costs in running the extensive operation that is the modern day Armagh Harps, it has been necessary to increase membership fees with effect from 1st January 2008. The new fees are;

Full/football - £25

10 Year Full/Football - £200 (includes free entry to Harps matches in Abbey Park over the ten year period)

Social - £15

Youth - £10

Honorary/OAP - Free.

One last message tonight and that is to wish all the best to the new Harps Senior Management team. The team is led by Uncle Stumps and includes Tootsie McConville and John Lavery. The management have already met the Senior squad and training began last week-end.

I dont know about John Lavery but stumpy and tootise can sure use the exercise. I wish them all the best in 2008. How many times has stumpy been involved in the senior set up now?

Rufus, whatever you do, dont let stumpy pick either himself or Aidy Moore, that would be a disaster altogether. :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on January 15, 2008, 10:18:02 PM

Full/football - £25

Social - £15

Youth - £10

Honorary/OAP - Free.

I dont know about John Lavery but stumpy and tootise can sure use the exercise. I wish them all the best in 2008. How many times has stumpy been involved in the senior set up now?

Rufus, whatever you do, dont let stumpy pick either himself or Aidy Moore, that would be a disaster altogether. :P

Tootsie is looking very trim these days Stew - Stumpy on the other hand is well mended!!   ::)

Uladh

Any word on who the new harps manager is?

Candyman

Full/football - £25

Social - £15

Youth - £10

Honorary/OAP - Free.

If the nick-names throw ye off:  John Rath, Paul Rath, John McConville & John Lavery  ;)

Uladh

oops!

very odd. fella i know got a phone call early last week about the vacancy

Candyman

bennydorano

We are getting in a new batch of Club blazers, anyone interested in buying a new one (or replacing an old one), can PM me with their details, e-mail their details to me at tonyarmagh@hotmail.com or you can leave your details in the Social Club (37 523281).

They should be in around the £50 mark.

fcuksake

rufus will be needing one, his old one wont stretch any more ;D
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Rufus T Firefly

Armagh Harps v Banagher

Harps opened the 2008 football season, and indeed the second managerial reign of John Rath, with a solid performance and eight point victory over Derry side Banagher, at a wet and windy Abbey Park, last Sunday afternoon. This was Harps opening fixture in the Ulster Club League – a competition in which they have failed to make an impact in recent seasons.

It was the visitors, playing with the wind, who were quickest to settle and soon opened the scoring with a point from play. Harps appeared to be struggling to settle, but eventually managed the equalising point through Kevin Kelly via a '50'. This score seemed to give Harps a lift and we began to dominate, and were denied a goal for a square ball. Our half back line was beginning to dominate, and this was typified when Collie Holmes and Gary McKinney combined to set up Chuckie for a point from play. Kevin Kelly stretched our lead with a point from a free, and as Harps threatened to take over completely, points (all from play) were added through Minnie and Collie Homes and Kevin Kelly. Banagher rallied briefly with two points of their own, but Harps finished the half with Kevin Kelly's fourth point to leave the Derry side in some difficulty.

Half time, Harps 0-07, Banagher 0-03.

Banagher needed a good start to the half if victory was to be achieved, and they managed this with a point from a close in free. However, a good Harps move was expertly finished by Chuckie, with his second point of the game. Harps pressed from the kick out, and a long ball in was met perfectly by Gary McKinney on the run and he finished confidently to the net. The game was now effectively over. Substitute Joe Quigley made ground and passed to Jungle McKee for another point – the fourth from our defence. Banagher to their credit did not throw in the towel, and managed their fifth point, from play. They still needed a goal but were twice denied by brilliant Willie McSorley saves. Harps closed the game on top and Kevin Kelly added his fifth point to see Harps home with a degree of comfort.

Final score, Harps 1-10, Banagher 0-05.

This was a very encouraging display by Harps, and although it is obviously very early in the season, there are definitely grounds for optimism. The Harps lined out as follows. Willie McSorley, Fergus McAleavey (Hugh McSorley), Martin Gill, Jungle McKee 0-1, Chuckie Morris 0-2, Collie Holmes 0-1, Kevin Daly (Paddy Grimes), Smacker McAneney, Philly McKinney, Ebby Toal (Michael Kelly), Minnie Holmes 0-1, Gerard McDonagh (Joe Quigley), Gary McKinney 1-0, Kevin Kelly 0-5 (0-1 '50', 0-1 free) and Sean Morrison (Paul Hart).

Rufus T Firefly

Just a couple of points to mention as regards the Seniors; the Senior team captain for this year is Collie Holmes. Our next fixture in the Ulster League is this Sunday, when we travel to Galbally. The four remaining fixtures are,

away to Galbally, 10th February,

home to Loup, 17th February,

home to Longstone, 24th February, and

away to Downpatrick, 2nd March.

All the fixtures have a 2.00 pm throw in.   

sammy

Any word of when the minors are back at training?

Rufus T Firefly

Good to have another Harps man on here - welcome aboard Samuel!  8)

Don't think there is any word yet of Harps minor training - if I hear anything, I will post it up here.

fcuksake

is there a reserve game on sunday  as well?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

bennydorano