Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

I find the outright defence by the Mayo fans towards their players baffling.

They threw their management team under a bus because they were unwilling to take responsibility for the mistakes they made, it's clear that there are a few big players in their side who have an adverse influence on things which doesn't bode well. I'd thought some Mayo people might have a bit more respect for Holmes and Connelly than they seem to have.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 18, 2016, 06:35:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2016, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 17, 2016, 01:48:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2016, 01:46:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 17, 2016, 01:22:14 PM
For all the people saying, "Why didn't they say all this a year ago?", would that have been preferable?
Seems to me they didn't want to disrupt the preparation for 2016.
This is the right time to say it, if you're going to say it at all.

There was no proper preparation for 2015 because of the shambolic appointment process by the County Board.
The 'not saying it a year ago argument' because it would disrupt the preparation for 2016, is exactly the same as doing it now and disrupting 2017.

'Outside influences' seems to me to mean former management.

Losing the dressing room is usually rarely unanimous but almost always fatal for a management.

So the question regarding all of this is: Qui Bono?

I disagree.
Rochford has a year under his belt and no one will even remember this by the time the NFL starts.

Well I'm writing down ideas for some abuse to roar based on the contents of the article, actually.

You're lucky it came out Dec 2016, a year later and you wouldn't get to use it in the NFL

For what its worth, H&C say this piece is for the good of Mayo football, its quiet clearly not, its for them to get their side of the story out, I've lost all respect for them. Nothing good can come out of this for us.

A couple of points
- AOS emailed about a player being left off the 26, why is this a surprise? In any line of work a senior person can question the reasoning behind a decision, he did it in a private manner. The key word being private - hardly the work of someone looking to outset the applecart
- SOS wanted RH instead of DC because of his kick outs,why is this a surprise? The goalie has a huge impact on how a midfielder plays, you'd expect them to have an opinion and voice it. Players can push for other players to play because they have legitimate reasons and think its for the good of the team. I would expect senior players to voice those opinions.
- Dillon was upset at being dropped, why is this a surprise? And spoke to H&C, presumably confidentially, to have himself back no the team. Do H&C think leaking that will do mayo good in the long run? Or will it cause a division between two friends?
- Mayo have a core group of strong minded players, why is this a surprise? Every county does, every successful team does. Do you think Heaslip, Sexton, Best and Murray don't voice their opinions? What about Keane or Vieria? Kavanagh, Michael Murphy, Marc and Thomas?

The whole article is nonsense

You lost all respect for Holmes and Connelly?

Have you any respect for the group of players who undermined their management team and forced them out or did they lose that with their actions?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 06:42:46 PM

They threw their management team under a bus because they were unwilling to take responsibility for the mistakes they made, it's clear that there are a few big players in their side who have an adverse influence on things which doesn't bode well. I'd thought some Mayo people might have a bit more respect for Holmes and Connelly than they seem to have.
Why would you think that?
Could it be that Mayo fans know a lot more of the background to what happened than you do and that you appear to believe everything that Breheny came out with, whether it made sense or not?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

criostlinn

Well there it is for all to see. Finally the dynamic duo have their say. Its now clear all the petty rumours about who was picking the team which we have been subjected to this year have been coming from these two great Mayo men who by all accounts only have the interests of Mayo football at heart

There are a few real nuggets in this and to be honest after reading, it reaffirmed my opinion that these two bluffers had to go.
A look at some of the gems.

"They recall how one player stood up at a meeting a few months into 2015 and said, "These fellas don't think we're good enough", which elicited a response from another: "Sure if we were, we'd have All-Ireland medals by now"

I don't really know what they are trying to say here but what Id love to know is, if they felt so aggrieved with this comment that they had to bring it up 2 years later, what did they actually do at the time. Was he dropped, cut from the panel, spoken to or as I suspect none of the above. You see lads ye were the managers. You have to take some responsibility. If ye hadn't the balls to deal with this early on you cant expect people to have sympathy when you start whinging about it 2 years later

As for the comments about Seamie O'Shea trying to influence the goalie selection. Another classic and no doubt the timing of this was perfect after this years final. But the bit I cant understand, if they had such a problem with this, why did they go and drop Clarke and replace him with Hennelly. Why were they so influenced by Seamie O'Shea back then, but all of sudden now they were telling him get on with the football.

Another one, Pat Holmes taking on the role as Aiden O'Shea's agent. This one to me is simple. If you feel so badly about it you tell O'Shea if he does the program he is no longer in your plans. Why in the name of fcuk would you be ringing up the producer of the program to tell him not to be contacting Mayo players. Of course O'Shea would be pissed of with this. Holmes oversteped the mark here. Imagine Jim Gavin ringing Supervalu to tell them stop contacting Bernard Brogan.

Aiden O'Shea's email. Again deal with it, grow a set of balls and drop him do what ever you have to do but for christ sake these two geniuses based their whole tactical plan around Aiden O'Shea in 2015 but 18 months later we hear about all these problems.

What is a shame is that when the pair decided to sit down and do this interview  "in the best interests of Mayo football" that they didn't throw more light on the management selection process or maybe since they were keen to talk about fund raising that we didn't hear a bit more about the financing of McHale park.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 18, 2016, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 06:42:46 PM

Why would you think that?
Could it be that Mayo fans know a lot more of the background to what happened than you do and that you appear to believe everything that Breheny came out with, whether it made sense or not?

Because this group of Mayo players have now came up short under three different management teams.

They were as close under Holmes and Connelly as they were under Horan or Rochford.

Tell us what you know that we don't? Tell us what exonerates a group of players from undermining their management team and forcing the county board to remove them.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 07:00:25 PM
Well there it is for all to see. Finally the dynamic duo have their say. Its now clear all the petty rumours about who was picking the team which we have been subjected to this year have been coming from these two great Mayo men who by all accounts only have the interests of Mayo football at heart

There are a few real nuggets in this and to be honest after reading, it reaffirmed my opinion that these two bluffers had to go.

"They recall how one player stood up at a meeting a few months into 2015 and said, "These fellas don't think we're good enough", which elicited a response from another: "Sure if we were, we'd have All-Ireland medals by now"

I don't really know what they are trying to say here but what Id love to know is, if they felt so aggrieved with this comment that they had to bring it up 2 years later, what did they actually do at the time. Was he dropped, cut from the panel, spoken to or as I suspect none of the above. You see lads ye were the managers. You have to take some responsibility. If ye hadn't the balls to deal with this early on you cant expect people to have sympathy when you start whinging about it 2 years later

As for the comments about Seamie O'Shea trying to influence the goalie selection. Another classic and no doubt the timing of this was perfect after this years final. But the bit I cant understand, if they had such a problem with this, why did they go and drop Clarke and replace him with Hennelly. Why were they so influenced by Seamie O'Shea back then, but all of sudden now they were telling him get on with the football.

Another one, Pat Holmes taking on the role as Aiden O'Shea's agent. This one to me is simple. If you feel so badly about it you tell O'Shea if he does the program he is no longer in your plans. Why in the name of fcuk would you be ringing up the producer of the program to tell him not to be contacting Mayo players. Of course O'Shea would be pissed of with this. Holmes oversteped the mark here. Imagine Jim Gavin ringing Supervalu to tell them stop contacting Bernard Brogan.

Aiden O'Shea's email. Again deal with it, grow a set of balls and drop him do what ever you have to do but for christ sake these two geniuses based their whole tactical plan around Aiden O'Shea in 2015 but 18 months later we hear about all these problems.

What is a shame is that when the pair decided to sit down and do this interview  "in the best interests of Mayo football" that they didn't throw more light on the management selection process or maybe since they were keen to talk about fund raising that we didn't hear a bit more about the financing of McHale park.

So the O'Sheas are blameless?

maigheo

Good post Criostlann but H and C did not drop Clarke.He got injured in the 1st half of the QF and was replaced by Hennelly at HT.I do not think they wanted Hennelly next or near the goalkeeping position but they had no choice to put him in when Clarke got hurt

criostlinn

Quote from: maigheo on December 18, 2016, 07:11:05 PM
Good post Criostlann but H and C did not drop Clarke.He got injured in the 1st half of the QF and was replaced by Hennelly at HT.I do not think they wanted Hennelly next or near the goalkeeping position but they had no choice to put him in when Clarke got hurt

He got injured alright against Donegal but recovered for teh Semi.  He was named to start against Dublin but was replaced just before kick off but you can trust me on this, he was 100% fit.

criostlinn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 07:08:17 PM

Blameless of what. If they are causing all these problems that H&C are now trying to say they were, why didn't they deal with it at the time.

INDIANA

Why do the O se's have such power? I've been curious.

Two very average players. Neither would start for Dublin for example.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 07:20:53 PM

Blameless of what. If they are causing all these problems that H&C are now trying to say they were, why didn't they deal with it at the time.

That's not the question.

Mayo fans bizarrely seem to think that what the O'Sheas did was acceptable for senior players on a panel. I haven't hear any criticism directed towards them for what has been alleged. Bizarrely you seem to put the blame at the door of the management for this?

Why are this set of Mayo players beyond criticism?

Do you blame the management team for 2015? Did they deserve the chop for it?

dublin7

The defence of Aidan O'Shea from Mayo posters is something Comical Ali would have been proud. This is a player who is supposed be a team leader but has gone AWOL in the 4 games against Dublin in the last 2 years.

H&C have every right to be furious at him heading over to Sunderland for some mickey mouse tv show. If a dublin player announced in the dressing room midseason he was doing it you can be sure Cluxton & Gavin would say off you go, don't come back!

The very fact mayo posters are calling the interview bulls**t because they heard different is why I imagine H&C did the interview as they heard the same rumours.

Robbie Hennelley has made major mistakes that have cost Mayo in 2013, 2015 & 2016 against Dublin yet all you hear from Mayo fans is what a great tweet after the all Ireland replay. He clearly has issues dealing with big games and I'm amazed David Clarke hasn't packed it in, especially after getting dropped for the replay. Might be better focusing on their own shortcomings

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 07:28:18 PM

That's not the question.

Mayo fans bizarrely seem to think that what the O'Sheas did was acceptable for senior players on a panel. I haven't hear any criticism directed towards them for what has been alleged. Bizarrely you seem to put the blame at the door of the management for this?

Not acceptability whatsoever.

The captain is the only player on any panel who should be discussing selection with the manager.

Do you think Jim Gavin consults his players on selection?

They would be promptly be told to f*** off

criostlinn

Quote from: INDIANA on December 18, 2016, 07:55:54 PM

That's not the question.

The captain is the only player on any panel who should be discussing selection with the manager.

Well if we are to believe whats in this article why didn't H&C tell them to fcuk off. Two options, they are exaggerating what really happened to make the players look bad or else they didn't have the balls to do it because they were out of their league.

INDIANA

Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 18, 2016, 07:55:54 PM

That's not the question.

Well if we are to believe whats in this article why didn't H&C tell them to fcuk off. Two options, they are exaggerating what really happened to make the players look bad or else they didn't have the balls to do it because they were out of their league.

But you have to accept that it feeds into why David Clarke was dropped. Certain players obviously contributed to it.

That would not be tolerated anywhere else