Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 01, 2015, 11:50:01 PM

The Mayo News understands that they spoke with Board officials for approximately ten minutes before leaving, and they had no comment to make when exiting.

Seems like they're not messing around, in, deliver message, out

Seems to me they're a bit new to this having a meeting craic. Players seem to be exasperating the situation with their own behavior.

moysider

Quote from: mckieran on October 01, 2015, 11:26:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 01, 2015, 10:29:51 PM
Did they ask for 2 out of town transfers to bring some scoring power to this outfit??

Sadly they are few and far between.

Bernard Brogan is now in his 30's. Alan probably retire.
Gooch has gone back and will be @33 next championship. James O Donoghue had to be subbed in AI final.
That leaves Conor McManus and Michael Murphy. I wish but I doubt they would be up for sale. Outside those 2 there is nobody that would be a game changer.

He also scored 3 points from play in that final. He would be Mayos best forward if he played for them.

There are a hell of a lot of forwards out there that would improve on Jason Doherty & Kevin McLoughlin (based on this years performances)

Would he fcuk! Yeah he did score 3 points from play but most of the time looked like he didn t fancy it at all. Why do you think he was taken off? Fitzmaurice not a man to have a brain fart. He didn't want to know.
And there are damn all forwards that would improve on Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin in the roles they play (even though I accept that they were not at their best this year). Remember Mayo players are judged by how they play in CP in semis and finals and not by how they play v Galway, Sligo and QF. There are fkcu all forwards apart from McManus and Murphy that can make a difference on their own when the squeeze comes on. And don't start giving me Jamie Clarke or McCorry because they get bullied off the face of the earth in lesser games. O' Neill and Hurley in Cork were no great shakes either and wilted before the business end. They are inside forwards anyway and no comparison for Doc and McLoughlin.
Anyway if you're one of those people that think that 10 and 12 should be scoring forwards then there is no point even indulging you.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 02, 2015, 12:21:02 AM
Ros were missing Diarmuid Murtagh, Senan Kilbride, Cathal Shine and a couple more in Enniskillen....Back to the Mayo Civil War. How long will it take for H/C To step down? The players may have grievances, but imo, the heave has been motivated by a desire to see James Horan back as manager. It's his job, if he wants it.
Perhaps, seeing as nobody is saying anything we don't know. Horan coming back wouldn't be ths answer. His tactical flaws were there for all to see. Second comings don't usually work either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2015, 12:33:55 AM
Ros were missing Diarmuid Murtagh, Senan Kilbride, Cathal Shine and a couple more in Enniskillen....Back to the Mayo Civil War. How long will it take for H/C To step down? The players may have grievances, but imo, the heave has been motivated by a desire to see James Horan back as manager. It's his job, if he wants it.
Perhaps, seeing as nobody is saying anything we don't know. Horan coming back wouldn't be ths answer. His tactical flaws were there for all to see. Second comings don't usually work either.

Agree. He had 2 AIs in the palm of his hand and............

Got so much right it's a shame. But blind spots undid him. A big blind spot was Tom Parsons. Already an established player when he took over but let him go. I know he wont get an All Star (and played replay with broken thumb) but Parsons and Fenton were the quality midfielders out there this year. Horan must have been looking at that and thinking 'what the fcuk was I thinking'?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on October 02, 2015, 12:01:27 AM
If  the 5 of them had all been fit and those who were had been played for the full 70 mins we'd likely have won those 2 games despite our defensive and management frailties.

Still ye're giving great entertainment these days :D
Keep it up.
Ah, if only me auntie....
Keep dreamin'
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2015, 12:45:26 AM

Got so much right it's a shame. But blind spots undid him. A big blind spot was Tom Parsons. Already an established player when he took over but let him go. I know he wont get an All Star (and played replay with broken thumb) but Parsons and Fenton were the quality midfielders out there this year. Horan must have been looking at that and thinking 'what the fcuk was I thinking'?

He is probably thinking Barry Moran 2012 Aidan O Shea 2013 were more impressive in midfield for Mayo than Parsons was this year. At no stage watching the 2012,2013 All Ireland finals did I think Mayo would win or in your own words had the Als in the palm of your hands, if anything Mayo peaked before those finals and no manager could reverse that.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2015, 11:36:31 PM
Harney, Murtaghs, Smiths.......
No ye can't t have them. ;D
Anyway ye're crack can only have one outcome - management out.

Seriously though, don t want them. Footballers are judged in September.

Lookit Rossfan, ye pride yerselves on these forwards but a bit of perspective. You had a team that dominated Connacht and got to one AI final 77-80 and not one of those forwards were deemed good enough to get an All-Star. Tony Mac got one years later at the finish up of his career. A bit like Bette Davis carted out for a special Oscar before she died. Lads like the 2 McManuses, Finneran and Jigger could not get Ros over the hump. They were judged at the highest level. Are you comparing the Harneys etc at that level even before they earn an opportunity to compete in August/September. Good luck with them.

I realise that Mayo are scoffed at. Poor leaky defence. No mobility in midfield. Need at least six new forwards ::)

What the f**k is everybody else doing if we re functioning in late Summer at all?

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 02, 2015, 01:19:50 AM

He is probably thinking Barry Moran 2012 Aidan O Shea 2013 were more impressive in midfield for Mayo than Parsons was this year. At no stage watching the 2012,2013 All Ireland finals did I think Mayo would win or in your own words had the Als in the palm of your hands, if anything Mayo peaked before those finals and no manager could reverse that.

This is repetitive any wearying.

Nobody that knows anything would think those two are more impressive than Parsons! Besides I don t think Parsons was even in the panel in 2012/13!!!
And no, Mayo did not 'peak' before those finals. They screwed up on selection and tactics.

I don t know where you are from Blowitupref but wherever you are from I would not presume that I know more about your situation than you do. It is not reliable to come to conclusions attending a neutral game or 2 or watching live games on tv. I would never offer a meaningful opinion about likes of Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Cork etc. I'm not informed enough.

Everybody seems to think they know how to pigeonhole Mayo. Most haven t a clue what's going on tbh.

maigheo

You are way off base there Moy about Parsons.Parsons was not a regular in JOMs final 2 years and Horan gave him a few chances in the 2011 league but he was not close to being the same player he is now .He had a persistent groin injury and his work rate was non exisent so Horan dropped him from the panel.Horan brought him back in 2014 and he would have been a regular starter but injuries put paid to that.The biggest factor in Parsons emergence as a top class midfielder is his attitude change,where as before he just stood in the middle of the field and thought all he had to do was  catch the ball and give it off ,now he has become a box to box midfielder and his tackling for a big man is superb.Fenton will get the all star this year but in my opinion Parsons has been much better overall .

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2015, 01:37:53 AM

Nobody that knows anything would think those two are more impressive than Parsons! Besides I don t think Parsons was even in the panel in 2012/13!!!
And no, Mayo did not 'peak' before those finals. They screwed up on selection and tactics.

Aidan O Shea was All star midfielder in 2013 and Barry Moran had good championship in 2012 in midfield if i recall right he was nominated for midfield All-star like Parsons is now.

All a matter of opinion and it seems you will stick to your strong belief that selection and tactics screwed it up however many keen observers including some Mayo supporters believed Mayo had peaked before those two finals.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Shrewdness

Moysider, i take your point about the Roscommon team of 1977-80.. The problem was that they arrived on the scene at the same time as the great Dublin/Kerry rivalry. Armagh were the other strong team of that time..Mick O'Dwyer always said about Kerry's 4 in a row, that the 1980 final against Ros, was the one final that they probably shouldn't have won.

macdanger2

Was part of the reason Parsons wasn't involved not to do with him working / studying in the UK?

heffo

Didn't realise Dublin had two players unable to move on the pitch for the last ten minutes in 2013 - a game you lost by a point.

deiseach

Just to be clear on something, when the Waterford squad voted no confidence in Michael Ryan, it was reported that this was an official action, i.e. the GPA has set it up so squads must be asked for their opinion on the management team. Is that what happened in Mayo?

thebuzz

Quote from: mckieran on October 01, 2015, 12:11:30 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 10:56:13 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 30, 2015, 09:27:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: shark on September 30, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

K-Mac was the obvious choice last year too Shark.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

After Horan you needed a man with a plan.  You picked the CB vice-chairman's brother. Hard to make the case that McStay wasn't Mayo's last best hope of winning an AI with this team.

In all honesty I have huge respect for the current Mayo team - easily the second best Connacht side in my lifetime - but I am very happy Mayo scuffed the choice last Autumn and let us get McStay, a man I rate very highly. If we give him time we'll be well placed.

I have to ask - what team do you consider the best? And what age are you (so I know what teams are within your lifetime)?

As Syferus hasn't answered you I'd presume he's at least in his 20s so he's probably talking about Galway....